A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What will supper be?

Post 61

paulh. reality is a sandwich I did not order

That sounds good!

Tonight I made my special recipe for cassoulet, using sweet Italian sausages, tuna, rice, cannellini beans, tomato sauce, sliced olives, artichokes, herbs, and a few other veggies. smiley - drool

What will supper be?

Post 62

ITIWBS

Meat balls and Italian sausage with baked eggplant, tortellini, garlic toast, salad and apple cobbler for dessert.

What will supper be?

Post 63

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

The roasted chicken was fall-apart done, tender and tasty. The spuds just firm enough to still be cube'ish.

A cold day here, north winds. By intentional accident, I have potatoes, large and fresh leeks, garlic, green onions, heavy cream, options for a 'stock' ... oh, and a slab of cured and sweet ham that can be thick sliced and made into nibble size cubes.

The still warm load of 12-grain bread is purely incidental

What will supper be?

Post 64

Tonight I will be making Smoked pork Collins, a simple and economical dish based on cabbage, potatoes, kidney beans, and [in this case] pork. It's supposed to be smoked pork, but I'm using regular pork plus some added salt.

What will supper be?

Post 65

Paul, I need a little favour from you for tonight's dinner. Mrs Rev, being an ex-military chef and having grown in New Brunswick, makes one helluva rich and thick clam chowder. We have most of the ingredients, shy of only one ...

To be genuine, it needs some Maritime sand and grit. Could you send about a table-spoon or so? For authenticity. smiley - biggrin

What will supper be?

Post 66

Rev. Nick, I suggest the following compromise: get some aquarium sand form a local pet store, and add sea salt. Bon appetit!

What will supper be?

Post 67

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Tonight... Wild rice pilaf (probably just onion and garlic and mushroom in it, plus some mustard seed and cumin and/or fennel), with salmon fillets roast in the oven, with just some butter, black pepper, and, in order to up the veg in diet, I'm goign to slice another onion and a green pepper and probably more mushrooms and just thorw them in on top of the salmon to cook down a bit, smiley - erm Oh, and with corriander too at some stage somewhere as we bought a fresh bunch of that today... probably just thrown over the lot at the end on the plate to garnich I guess smiley - zen

What will supper be?

Post 68

In my country the seed is called coriander, while the greens are called cilantro. Same plant, though. Some people hate cilantro, as it has a bitter taste, but some Thai and Mexican dishes are too bland without it.

What will supper be?

Post 69

ITIWBS

Coriander/cilantro, one of the things that does well in my garden as a spring crop.

In cooler and more temperate climates may do okay as a summer green, planted late in May.

A coriander seed provided the 'seed' for the original 'jaw-breaker' candy.

What will supper be?

Post 70

I generally keep a good distance between any pet supplies and my dinner. smiley - winkeye

Despite the lack of grit, the clam chowder was really thick, rich and soooo deliciously satisfying.

What will supper be?

Post 71

You don't know what you're missing, Nick.smiley - smiley

Many pet stores will sell small animals as food for larger pets. Goldfish like brine shrimp. Do you eat shrimp. smiley - biggrin

What will supper be?

Post 72

I quite like all sorts of shrimp - but sea monkeys do not a meal make.

What will supper be?

Post 73

That sounds fair enough.

What will supper be?

Post 74

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I used to buy young locus, live, to feed to my terrantular.... I ate them too, fried... cruncny cruncy and... not a taste I'd recomend, even if insects are a hugely important protein source in some parts of the world, seems there's a reason we go for chicken, pork, beef, goat, and.... whatever else in its place, when we've the option smiley - laugh Mind, saying that, the dog dried food my aunt used ot get for her dogs, was so tasty I'd just sit ther eand eat it from the bag, whilst getting dirty looks from the dog smiley - laughsmiley - erm bunny rabbit treats were quite tasty too... err... I don't tend to experiment quite so much now, though, in my .... slightly older self smiley - laugh probably fish again tonight, probably salmon, probably with wild rice again smiley - zen was risotto last night, with mushrooms and cchorizo err choreithro sausge thing smiley - drool so tasty smiley - blush and probably rediculusly fattening smiley - laugh

What will supper be?

Post 75

I will not admit (publicly) that I have tasted some dried pet treats - and a second time, or a third. smiley - winkeye

From a really nice pork roast a few weeks ago - I have gravy from the drippings that was frozen. Also mashed spuds, frozen. And some of the pork was sliced - and frozen. i Have a small vacuum seal machine that works a charm for some stuff.

The gravy was thawed and then warmed in the oven. It reconstituted perfectly. The pork slices were made a bit smaller, some fresh onions and some of my own dehydrated mushrooms chopped (6 sorts of mushrooms, dried) all mixed into the gravy and just a long, low and slow warming.

Once thawed and whisked a few times, even the frozen mashed potatoes with milk and butter came back together under a slow and low heat. Needs butter and seasoning though. And a side dish of sweet corn, just because

What will supper be?

Post 76

I'm about to start making minestrone with chicken. The chicken is ground, for the reason that I have four temporary teeth that must not be used for tearing meat off the bone [I usually have chicken in the form of drumsticks].

Anyway, the recipe is:

Springtime Minestrone

Spice mixture

½ tsp of dried thyme Pepper, to taste
1 tsp of garlic powder 1/2 tsp of dried oregano
1 tsp of dried basil 1 tsp of dried parsley
1 cube of chicken bouillon

Liquid broth

1 tbsp of olive oil
2 cups of water

Cans

One 14-ounce can of kidney beans and/or Roman beans
One 14-ounce can of tomatoes, preferably low-sodium
One small [6-ounce] can of tomato paste
One 14-ounce can of green beans, or you can use fresh or frozen
[8 ounces of canned mushrooms]

Other Ingredients

6 sausages or 3 chicken drumsticks or 8 ounces of turkey
1/4 cup of macaroni
1 onion
3 large carrots, or 12 baby carrots, sliced
1 potato, any size you want, peeled or unpeeled however you want it
3 stalks of celery, chopped
At least one of the following greens: cabbage, Swiss chard, spinach
zucchini, chopped
1 cup of petite peas, fresh or frozen

Instructions

Put the olive oil in the bottom of a cooking pot. Add the water. Mix the spices and stir them into the pot. Add the sausages/chicken/turkey. Open ad add the canned vegetables, draining only the kidney/Roman beans. Turn on the heat and let everything simmer while you prepare the vegetables. Chop the onion, carrots, potato, celery, greens, and zucchini. Add them to the pot. Turn up the heat and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer covered for 25 minutes. Add the green peas. bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes more. Serve with cheese. Serves 3 people.

What will supper be?

Post 77

I'm not much on the cabbage, zukes and such. But it looks freaking fabulous. I only have one query:

With that combination, how HUGE are the "3 persons served"? smiley - bigeyes

What will supper be?

Post 78

ITIWBS

2 chili rellanos stuffed with quesadilla cheese, 4oz tempura mushrooms, 8oz tempura zucchini, tomato salsa.

What will supper be?

Post 79

I may have underestimated the number of servings. I expect this recipe to serve 4 or 5 people.

What will supper be?

Post 80

Simple Friday fare - four slices (3" wide, 2" thick in the most) of Atlantic salmon fillets. Okay, clarifying, eastern Canada Atlantic and not northern or way over the Scandiwegian-way ... Some squeezed lemon juice, a dash of desiccated garlic powder, a dusting of lightly seasoned southern-US stuff (Old Bay), and a powdering with fine crushed bread crumbs. Simple slow bake in the oven.

Onion and garlic mashed potatoes, some green peas, a simple tossed salad of iceberg lettuce with shredded carrots and radishes, and some store-bought dressings to choose from.

Oh, and a half dozen fresh baked crusty bread rolls ...

Po' foke dinnur ...

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more