A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How much longer will you use this site?

Post 1

Hoovooloo

It's almost fifteen years since I first posted here. In a few minutes, I'm going to hit "Post Message", possibly for the last time. It was fun for a long time. Nowadays, I hardly ever come here, and neither, it seems, do many other people, certainly many *new* people. h2g2 is a fascinating and little-known relic of the internet. It prefigured both Facebook and Wikipedia, but was rapidly outstripped by both. I'd like to say that when I finally stop using it, I'll miss it - but the truth is, I probably won't. For me at least, it's over.

So as a parting shot as the door hits my buns on the way out... how much longer do you imagine you'll be using this site? What do you even use it *for*, now? How many people do you regularly interact with on here, and do you know or have you even met any of them in real life?

(For me: three minutes. Not much. A dozen, probably fewer. None.)

Post 2

Kyra

It's been about ten years since I started hanging around here for hours everyday. It's not that big of a leap to say that some people here saved my life, or at least gave me something to look forward to during the toughest years of my life. But there just isn't enough content now, there aren't enough conversations going on. When I started I'd press F5 every few minutes and have a few conversations going at once. I was addicted to that asterix. Now it can be days between replies. It's a bit depressing, compared to how it used to be, and honestly, a bit boring compared to other places on the net, like Reddit, my new online obsession. I'll probably keep coming back for a few years, mostly for the nostalgia, but I won't be living here like I used to.

Post 3

Pastey

I've been here pretty much since it started, and still spend a good few hours a day on here.

The site isn't just about hanging around in one or two forums hoping for a quick chat, there's lots of really good entries to read too. Plus, watching the latest conversations allows you to get a really good insight into people's lives, how their culture works, how they think and react. If I've got something to add to it, I can just jump right in and get engaged, or if I've got nothing to add, I can watch and read.

So I think I'm going to be here for quite a few more years to come.

And I've lost count of the amount of people from here I've met. One of the people I'd consider a good close friend I met on here, and go drinking with at least once a week (sometimes a lot moresmiley - winkeye) and over the years I've made many really good friends and lots more acquaintances.

In short, it's one of those rare sites that you get from it what you put in. Unlike sites like Reddit where you can sit and watch and be entertained (a bit like (cable/satelitte) television really) h2g2 is more like going to the pub with a group of strangers, you may find a conversation you join in and have a great time, or you may all sit there around a table with nobody saying anything smiley - biggrin

Post 4

Orcus

Well I've always said that the last things here before it dies will be the cockroaches and myself.

Got to admit my participation here has plummeted in the last year or two - although I did actually write an article not long for the first time in about 10 years.

I do still pop in every day, but yeah, very little going on here compared to a few years ago.
I've only ever just done my own thing on here, not putting too much emotional investment in the place, so always, I'm easy come, easy go about it all.

I hardly go to facebook either these days.

The last time I met anyone from the site was in 2001 at a couple of meets. Wow was it really that long ago.

Post 5

Icy North

I've been here for 11 years and still want to write for it. The single biggest change in that time has been the drop in regular participation, which is now down to a trickle. Sadly, this is what feeds the whole creative process, which in turn keeps the community engaged.

Despite a lot of optimistic things we've heard about site relaunches, nothing has happened. I don't doubt there are reasons - I believe the people running the site have its best interests at heart, but I guess I'll hang around until either it does or it's clear it's not ever going to happen.

Maybe the Create team should issue a badge to everyone who logs in? smiley - whistle

Post 6

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

I hate Facebook. And Wikipedia is very dry and technical sometimes. (A lot, actually.)

I intend to use h2g2 until it dies. Or I do. Frankly I'm hoping on the latter, h2g2 rocks!

Anyway, in answer to your questions:

"How much longer do you imagine you'll be using this site?"
---
Long as I can.

"What do you even use it *for*, now?"
---
Whatever. It's true, it's not what it once was, which is sad. But given the chance it can be again!

"How many people do you regularly interact with on here?"
---
I don't keep track. I think the site has helped develop greater insight into the peoples of the world though.

"And do you know or have you even met any of them in real life?"

I met one. Just one. And she doesn't come here anymore. But she's the coolest, most amazing person I know and the whole big, large, gimmicky website was totally worth it just so I could meet her.

So long, Hooloovoo, hyper-intelligent shade of the color blue. May you live the long, unfulfilled life of simmering anger that you so richly deserve. Perhaps one day you'll find another group of mean, arrogant, know-it-all people who will enjoy your company.

Personally I can't say I'll miss you.

smiley - otamot
smiley - pirate

Post 7

Bluebottle

How much longer do I imagine I'll be using this site? Til death us do part. It might only be a small corner of the internet, but it's been my corner of the internet for almost 15 years, and I can't see anything changing that.

What do I use it for?
Well, it gives me the freedom to write about anything. Whether articles, stories, things for smiley - thepost, journals, conversations about any imaginable topic and to catch up with people I consider to be friends. And I get to read all sorts of things too.

How many people do I regularly interact with? A fair number. I suppose it depends on how you define 'regularly interact' – I enjoy seeing many of the same names around in different conversations. So to give 2 or 3 examples, in this conversation I've interacted with Pastey in conversations about running and I've met him on several occasions (on all of which he was bigger than me), I enjoyed reading Orcus' article about cycling and cake and Icy North has helped me write about postboxes and the Winnie the Pooh bridge. Each name isn't just a jumble of letters but I remember the conversations we've had on various topics here and there throughout different parts of h2g2. Sometimes it is fun exploring somewhere new to you on h2g2, and seeing who turns up.

Have I met any people on h2g2 in real life? Yes. Quite a few. I've not been to as many meet ups as I'd like to lately, but have been to a fair number. My old housemate Peregrin moved in with Tinkerbell, and they met on h2g2. They didn't stay together as partners, but they remained very close friends until Peregrin died.

<BB<

Post 8

Deb

I would imagine I'll have to be carried out feet first.

I only spend about half an hour a day here catching up, but I do find all the different opinions and experiences fascinating. It's made me think differently on some issues and helped confirm my opinion on others.

I haven't met anyone in real life, but that's not my thing. I'm not much of a mixer.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 9

SashaQ - happysad

I'm another one who plans to use the site til death us do part...

I've *only* been in here for about 6 years, but I like it here. h2g2 rocks indeed!

I was drawn in from elsewhere on the Beeb, because I liked the idea of helping to build the Hitchhiker's Guide (I'd read the Hitchhiker books in the 1990s) so I mooched about occasionally and got a few Entries accepted. After my favourite BBC messageboard was shut down in the great cull, h2g2 had emerged from the turmoil, so I jumped aboard and spent more time here.

What do I use it for?
It helped me through a tough time offline when the only response to anything I did was "what did you do that for?" - in here, responses were more like, "thank you", and "keep up the good work" so I could be sure I wasn't completely useless after all. The site has enabled me to stretch myself, as I've written Guide Entries, but also poetry and fiction, and it gives me inspiration for photography and art, too. I also learn an immense amount from reading other people's writing, and exploring the archaeology of the site is fascinating too.

How many people do I regularly interact with?
I was quite quiet at first, because I didn't think anyone would want to speak to me even though I enjoyed reading what they said, but then I joined the group of people who frequent Peer Review, and then NaJoPoMo gave me something to talk about with different groups of people, so my Friends List expanded since then smiley - biggrin My interactions offline are sometimes difficult, as people find me to be too weird, so it's incredibly refreshing that I can be myself and I get on with people here.

Have I met any people on h2g2 in real life?
Yes - I went to a Mini Meet in London last year and met 2 people smiley - ok I'm quite looking forward to the Meet next month too.

Post 10

You can call me TC

What they said.

We have stood by a girl in Florida who didn't dare leave her flat because there was a stalker outside. We have been there when people paired off, had babies, split up, even died, and seen each other through the death of parents, the problems of bringing up children and much more, all the time learning fascinating stuff from the Edited Guide.

It's a bit slow nowadays, but we were the first to do blogging, forums, and we must have some of the longest-running threads on the internet. It must be worth sticking to.

Post 11

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

how much longer do you imagine you'll be using this site?
Until the end of days, or the next inevitable metior impact, or zombie infestation, which ever happens first.

What do you even use it *for*,
now?
stuff... everything, reading, talking, mainly I guess just keeping in contact with people I've known for like err, 10 plus years... seems a long while anyhow...

How many people do you regularly interact with on here, and do you know or have you even met any of them in real life?
I've met over 100 in RL, though mainly this was in the way back when, when the big London meets were really huge, and, a lot of those people are no longer on the site, many indeed have died... smiley - sadface

smiley - zensmiley - erm

Post 12

Witty Moniker

I will use this site as long as it continues to exist. That is what motivates me to do my part to make sure that it continues for as long as possible. Sorry that the character of and speed at which visible progress is taking place doesn’t meet your expections, Icy. I guess you are getting what you paid for, the $nark has been devalued.

I use h2g2 to read interesting articles written by the talented writers that contribute to the Guide, both edited and otherwise. I use it to converse with interesting, intelligent people. How many do I regularly talk to? Dozens. I so enjoy the company here that I have traveled across the Atlantic to meet researchers in person and get to know them better. I met a number of people at the 2012 meet that I don’t typically interact with and found that, while we don’t chat much on site, we were well aware of each other and knew a good bit about each other. I contribute to the site by working to keep it a friendly, welcoming place for all.

Hoo, (although your last 3 minutes are way past their expiration and I assume you won’t be reading my post) why would you ask these questions and then walk away without reading the answers? What’s your point?

Post 13

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - bigeyes
Hoovooloo's gone?

smiley - wowsmiley - petuniassmiley - biggrinsmiley - divasmiley - cogssmiley - ok

Jeez, who's gonna scare off the newbies.

smiley - evilgrinsmiley - discosmiley - coolsmiley - musicalnotesmiley - whistle

smiley - tardis

smiley - modsmiley - towelsmiley - mod
~jwf~
smiley - dontpanic

Post 14

Secretly Not Here Any More

I hope Hoo returns. He's one of the characters. People I don't necessarily agree with (although I find others around here far less palatable) but that enliven the discussions we have.

If we lose all the interesting people, that's when I'll leave.

Post 15

Pink Paisley

H2G2 will probably have to be pried from my cold dead fingers.

(But why am I responding to Hoo? He's b*gg*r*d off!)

PP.

Post 16

Pastey

There'll always be characters while we're still here 603 smiley - winkeye

Post 17

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

smiley - bigeyes I feel a new religion coming on smiley - snorksmiley - evilgrinsmiley - zensmiley - grovel

Post 18

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

Wouldn't that be the very definition of ironic; a religion based on the worship of a militant agnostic smiley - laughsmiley - laugh

Post 19

Bluebottle

As it was once said of the almighty Brian, 'Only the true Messiah denies His divinity.'

<BB<

Post 20

swl

H2G2 gets a little poorer with every long standing member who drifts (or flounces) away.

Key: Complain about this post