A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What have you discovered today?

Post 21

Pink Paisley

The moles round here haven't all drowned. I spotted a box fresh mole hill in the making today.

PP.

Post 22

Pink Paisley

Bagels fall butter side down the same way as toast does.

PP.

Post 23

Cheerful Dragon

My local hospital charges for parking - £3 for up to 2 hours according to the boards by the payment machines (scale up for how long you spend there). It's pay on exit and I discovered, to my delight, that if you've only been there for about 20 minutes, they don't charge you.smiley - biggrin (I'm disabled, and parking for the disabled used to be free any way, but that's a gripe for a different thread.)

Post 24

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

(surely it is still free, if you've got a ...err whtever colour the disabled parking badgers are now... blue/orange badge... It should be... ) smiley - weird

I discovered the milk I bought Saturday was off smiley - yuk and had to run nextdoor to buy more, before I coudl start making bread smiley - blushsmiley - doh I also discovered that the new expresso coffee beans I have, (100% arabiata beans), are stronger than the 70/30 beans (arabiata/robusta), and really remind me of beer smiley - laughsmiley - stoutsmiley - coffee

Post 25

Beatrice

I've discovered that after carefully going through my bank account yesterday and cancelling £50 worth of unnecessary stabding orders, my bank has levied charges totalling £100 for the privilege!

Post 26

What?!? can they do that? smiley - yikes You may wanna think about switching to a differnt bank... smiley - yikessmiley - 2cents Mind, I'm probably one of very few people who's never paid their bank a single penny in charges or fees, in over... err, twenty five years or so of banking smiley - blushsmiley - 2cents

I just discovered two baking trays, hiding in the oven. Still a bit dirty from I guess when I made the multigrain rolls... which is annoying, as I'd just cleared a massive pile of washing up smiley - doh

Post 27

Beatrice

I stormed into the nearest branch and asked for an explanation. I'm afriad I did burst into teasr at one point, whereupon the assistant said she'd remove the charges for me.

So I've discovered that sometimes tears are a powerful weapon.

Post 28

Gnomon - time to move on

Today I learnt that Roman Emperor Calligula looted the tomb of Alexander the Great in Alexandria and stole his breastplate, which he then would wear on occasions.

Alexander's tomb disappeared later on.

The body of St Mark the evangelist was smuggled out of Alexandria by putting it in a barrel of pork, which the Muslims wouldn't touch, and was brought to Venice where it was buried in a sarcophagus in St Mark's Basilica.

An English professor called Chugg thinks it was actually the body of Alexander the Great that was smuggled to Venice and is venerated as a saint for the last thousand years.

smiley - biggrin

Post 29

Icy North

Maybe they didn't remove the body from the pork, but sold it to Tesco to use in its 'Value'-range sausages.

Post 30

Beatrice: smiley - cuddle and well done! Tears are a far better 'weapon' than threatening vioilence I'd imagine smiley - zen Tears and laughter instead of violence and war smiley - zen

Post 31

Cheerful Dragon

2legs, blue badge holders used to have a separate parking area that wasn't ticket-controlled. The hospital management changed the layout and added fences/bollards so that blue badge holders have to pass the ticket barrier. It's getting to the point where I have to check whether parking is free or not. Some counties charge disabled people for parking, others don't. Sometimes it even varies from town to town in the same county. There's no rhyme or reason to it.smiley - erm

Today's discovery could (and probably will) go on the Useless Facts thread. Male octopuses have an arm they use for reproduction. It is used to place a packet of sperm in the female's mantle (head/body). The tip then breaks off and the male dies a few months later. Poor octopus!

Post 32

Pink Paisley

The radioactivity that leaked from Fukushima as a result of the Tsunami was the equivalent of about 76,000,000 bananas worth.

There is indeed a measure of radiation known ad the BED or Banana Equivalent Dose.

PP.

Post 33

Re the blue badge, I did have one myself years ago, but it got lost, and as I used it so infrequently (just occasionally when friends drove me about), I never got a replacement smiley - doh I thought they had the ability to use them to park in restricted areas and stuff... I do remember there were an aweful lot of conditions o use, with when and where and suchlike smiley - headhurtssmiley - doh

I just discovered its cold down here smiley - brr so turned the heating on...

Post 34

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

I just discovered the FIFA whirled cup logo for 2014.
smiley - facepalm
It looks like a rip-off of the h2g2 facepalm smiley.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e8/WC-2014-Brasil.svg/719px-WC-2014-Brasil.svg.png

smiley - facepalm
~jwf~

Post 35

Pink Paisley

Oh, it does!

Sue their bottoms off!

PP.

Post 36

Bald Bloke

Well JWF there are bound to be a lot of fans going smiley - facepalm when their team drops one. So we could use it as the h2g2 emblem for the World Cup.

Post 37

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Well, on the subject of emblems, I discovered this:
http://digitaldeconstruction.com/meet-balls-disturbing-testicular-cancer-mascot/#.Um7G00QZyG

Post 38

Geggs

I have sadly discovered that my vivid dream last night about Sir Patrick Moore standing in as an impromptu tennis umpire sometime in the seventies, while a shivering court official was wrapped in a blanket and subsequently played a short knock-up with a famous tennis player, was probably just a dream, and has no basis in reality.

Geggs

Post 39

Gnomon - time to move on

On the other hand, in a visit to an old house with an observatory, he did play the theme music for The Sky at Night live on an ancient harpsichord, when they discovered they had forgotten to bring the tape with them.

Post 40

swl

It's an offence in Germany to say their flag is black, red and yellow. Apparently.

Key: Complain about this post