A Conversation for Ask h2g2

World effects of ending the United Kingdom?

Post 61

Mr. X ---> The path behind me is littered with corpses. .... .... .... Do you have a trash bag?

I'm just speaking my mind Pastey. There's no need to get all huffy.

This is why I don't like it. People become oversensitive to criticisms.

smiley - pirate

Post 62

Pastey

The word Jock is not banned. There's very few words that actually are banned.

Remember, all moderation on this site is done "in context" so while the words aren't banned, the way that they are used can be.

Using some words as direct insults will get them moderated out, rather than removing the whole post.

As an example: "Mr603 is a total [Word removed by moderator]" wouldn't be allowed, but "Can we use 'scrote'?" would be allowed.

Basically, no name calling and watch your language smiley - winkeye

Post 63

Pastey

MrX, I'm not in the slightest bit huffy. I'm merely pointing out that if you and your mind don't like it, the internet is a very large place and you're bound to find somewhere that you do like smiley - smiley

Post 64

Mr. X ---> The path behind me is littered with corpses. .... .... .... Do you have a trash bag?

I like it here. You're grown up enough to realize that pointing one niggling little part of it I disagree with doesn't mean I want to leave.

smiley - pirate

Post 65

I like it here. You're grown up enough to realize that pointing *out one niggling little part of it I disagree with doesn't mean I want to leave.

smiley - pirate

Post 66

Pastey

Me? Grown up? I'll take that as a compliment smiley - winkeye

I know what you mean though, it's only one element of the site. And it's actually quite a small one. I'm not part of the moderation team, but I do get to pop in and see what they're up to, and believe me, it's hardly anything compared to how busy the site is.

It shows that in general the maturity shown by, and the respect shown to users here is pretty amazing. In a way I think it may be a combination of the internet growing up itself, with less anonymity in general and high-profile police charges occasionally (at other sites), and that we've grown up with this site.

I like it too, and it'd take more than being told to play nice to make me leave smiley - smiley

And now I realise I'm detracting from the thread, so back to the topic...

I do wonder if the UK government would actually ever let an independent Scotland have the North Sea oil. I'm pretty certain that if the yes vote wins, the arrangements that get worked out would keep the oil fields in the UK.

Post 67

pebblederook-The old guy wearing surfer beads- what does he think he looks like?

Fortunately I have arrived late on this thread, if I had arrived last night after a couple of glasses of wine I might have got into trouble.

I thought Hoo answered the points made by the OP well, with a bit of humour which some might feel was a little unkind. Personally I think if you can't take the rough and tumble of debate you shouldn't engage in it. And if you think hootoo is rough, oh boy, be careful out there in the interwebsphere.

I rather like the idea of Scotland voting for independence and the United Kingdom vanishing in a puff of logic, resulting in Mexico annexing the United States, and the Barclay brothers invading Guernsey.

On a personal note, Scotland can keep the oil as long as they take back all their tar[word self moderated, partly for the fun of it and in no way intended to denigrate the work done the mods on this site, for they do a grand job often in difficult circumstances, but mainly because everyone else is doing it and I just fancied trying for the biggest sentence in parentheses on the forum]

Post 68

Pastey

pebblederook, the moderators made their decision on several posts because they contained direct insults, not the rough and tumble of debate. Any good debate does not need for personal insults, and had Hoo not added those in, along with the other posters that followed, then the posts would have been left alone.

As you can see from my first post in his thread (before I took time and noticed the rule breaking) I think Hoo's post in general was a good one as it did indeed address the points raised.

This site encourages debate, but it does not allow a bear pit.

Post 69

Secretly Not Here Any More

Didn't we used to have "The Forum" which was basically as close to a Bear Pit as we could get?

Post 70

Pastey

The idea of the Forum was to encourage robust debate.

Unfortunately too many people believe that "robust debate" meant trolling and personal attacks.

Post 71

swl

<>

I do wonder how on earth the UK would violate every known treaty on the territorial waters of sovereign nations to appropriate the oil fields though. smiley - winkeye

Post 72

We'd just invade. smiley - winkeye

Post 73

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")

Some interesting polling data and analysis on Scottish independence, and in particular on those who are "undecided". Also some interesting comments on "devo-max" that's not an option in the referendum....

http://theconversation.com/hard-evidence-who-are-scotlands-undecideds-on-independence-23376

Post 74

Apparently Stuart Jeffries has been reading this thread.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/feb/19/scottish-independence-76-things-apologise

Post 75

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

I'm sorry for nothing.How can I be.I'm a UK mongrel with English,Scottish and Irish blood in my veins and my children are also partly Welsh.I'd have to beat myself up for all of the wrongs dealt by all of the above.

In short I'm British.

Post 76

bobstafford

No strong feeling of guilt here either smiley - ale

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more