A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What's your car's optimum speed in terms of MPG?

Post 21

Pastey

Can't see why you shouldn't link to it, it's a useful page that's not full of stuff you wouldn't want kids to accidentally see smiley - winkeye

Post 22

Hoovooloo

A cigar to the person who invents an intelligent cruise control.

Right now, the car I drive has cruise, which means I can get on the motorway, wind it up to 56mph, push a button, and it'll stay at that speed automatically, feathering the accelerator on its own. I can increase or decrease the setting using a couple of buttons on the wheel, never touching a pedal. But if I go up a hill, my mpg takes a hit because my car's too stupid to slow down a bit or change down, it just dumbly stands on the gas to get us up the slope.

But... it doesn't optimise my fuel efficiency. What I'd like is to wind it up to 60mph and hit a button which maximises my mpg by varying the speed of the car between 50 and 70mph. I'd have to pay more attention, but I'd be PAID to pay attention, by the money I'm saving on petrol.

I have noticed that driving using cruise control ALL THE TIME, even in urban environments (click it on at 28mph and never get nicked for speeding, WIN!), I get about 48.4mpg. This compares with what I can get using my right foot and my brain, which is about 53mpg. Some work to do there, I think.

Post 23

Pastey

The van we hired when visiting the States was an automatic with cruise control. I hated it smiley - laugh

I got used to the automatic, but really didn't get on with cruise control.

Post 24

Bald Bloke

I had Cruise control on a company car.
Good for avoiding speeding tickets, only if you remember to set it.
Otherwise not a lot of use.

I wonder what MPG Google get out of their self driving cars?

Post 25

Bald Bloke

I did think

Why don't they link the cruise control to the GPS...?

Then I unforgot how crap the speed limit info is in my GPS.

Post 26

Peanut

It doesn't matter how many times I see this thread pop up, I always misread the title as 'What's your cat's optimum speed in terms of MPG?'

Post 27

bobstafford

Mice per ? smiley - biggrin

Post 28

Peanut

smiley - snork

now it is going to be 'What's your cat's optimum speed in terms of Mice Per G?

Post 29

Pastey

A lot of the new high-end (expensive) cars are getting very good at their miles per gallon, they have to because it's getting too expensive to run them if they don't.

It's not just the cost of fuel, but also the taxes that are put on them.

So we're starting to see far more hybrids with electric motors for use in cities, carbon fibre shells, lightweight chassis and frames.

All the stuff we should have seen years ago, but wasn't considered "sexy" enough to sell.

Post 30

paulh. Everyone is a critic!

"My average is 41 mpg" [bobstafford]

I can manage that in the Summer on a sunny day, but my car's fuel economy always declines a lot when it's well below freezing and the roads are coated with compacted snow and the heat has to be cranked up.

Have any researchers calculated the seasonal differences?

Post 31

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - biker

Once warmed up on a cold day, when I restart my Hyundai
Sonata, it idles at 900rpm until I turn on the heater-fan motor
and it jumps to 1250rpm. Add the rear-window defroster
and it goes to 1350.

I had never noticed electric demands causing an increase in
engine rpm in any car I've had previously. It seems to me that
the old generators and earlier alternators simply put out a
steady rate of voltage... and can't imagine how these new cars
know to increase engine speed when extra voltage is required.

That said, I do recall on cold days in older British sports cars
with manual chokes that one could never really put the choke in
if one hoped not to stall at stoplights if the heater was full on.

But these days, one never drives an antique classic in winter.
That's why god invented Japanese and German winter beaters.
smiley - biker
~jwf~

Post 32

bobstafford

No I that was during the winter I have not taken the readings for summer motoring however the use of A/C would possably even out seasonal differancessmiley - smiley

Post 33

But the heater/AC balance is not the big problem with Winter fuel economy. The big problem is the weight of cold air that a car has to push against. Every year I notice how much farther I can go on a gallon of gas as the seasons turn from Winter to Spring to Summer. It happens every single year with exception, whether I'm using air conditioning or not. It's immutable. There's as much as a ten mile per gallon difference between the coldest part of Winter and hottest part of summer. I've been writing down the odometer reading, the amount of gas purchased, and how full the tank was every time I've gotten gas for as long as I've been driving. None of my cars have figured out fuel economy for me [maybe I never buy the expensive models that do that]. What I wonder is whether those gadgets are missing something. Do they take the temperature into account?

Post 34

Pastey

Also there's the extra time of the engine warming up properly for the oil to be lubricating it properly. At least in old cars there is.

Post 35

I probably drive too fast when I'm on the highways. This may have something to do with peer pressure. If I drive much slower than the other cars, I notice that most of the ones behind keep passing me. Plus, I'm a bit impatient.

The Nissan Versa I drive ought to get better fuel economy than the Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris. It should even get just as good economy as the manual-transmission version of the same car. I keep meaning to clean out some of the heavy junk in the back seat and trunk, get the car cleaned and waxed, and drive slower overall. That would improve the fuel efficiency, but there is nothing I can do about driving on wintery surfaces in temps that are way below freezing. Ruts and potholes abound on roads that I can't easily avoid. Yesterday the garage told me there's a piece of the suspension that's a bit loose.

I'm lucky that much of the driving I do nowadays is discretionary. If a day is snowy [today, for instance], I can elect to stay at home. It snowed last Thursday, last Saturday, and again today.

There's more to life than gas mileage. I refuse to get a hangup about it. It's an issue for people who have long distances to drive and not much money to spare, though.

There's a solar three-wheeled vehicle that's sold in North Carolina. It can give shelter from the elements, and has pedals as a backup. The solar energy is stored in a battery, which powers a motor than can do up to 20 miles an hour. If you pedal too, you can go faster than that. I realize that this won't solve the problems of the long-distance commuter, but who knows where this technology might go? The first cars were far more primitive than the ones we have now.

Post 36

winnoch2 - Biding my time..

I would love to have that peddle function in my car smiley - cool i wonder though how much impact on fuel economy manual peddling could have at normal city or even motorway speeds. Certainly it would be a nice safe way to stretch your legs on long journeys without wasting time stopping to walk around.

Post 37

Pink Paisley

I just can't work out why that hasn't caught on here in Hertfordshire.

Oh. Hang on.......

PP.

Post 38

Hoovooloo

"would love to have that peddle function in my car cool"

And what would you peddle? Clothes pegs and lucky heather? Burgers inna bun?

Post 39

clare

smiley - space
(comedy break)
smiley - laugh When I first saw the subject of this thread I thought it said
"What's your cats optimum speed in terms of MPG?" and I had to think
"hmmm, MPG - cats - MPG - cats -Mice per garden? smiley - laugh

Post 40

Bald Bloke

Hoo smiley - laugh

I was also contemplating the Bring back the Sinclair C5 option.
We know how well that worked last time.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more