A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How to change the light bulb in the fridge.

Post 1

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

It went out the other day and I've no idea how to fix it. smiley - erm

Fridge is still cold so it's still on, but just the light is out.

It's housed in a little cage, I've no idea how to remove. Assuming I did I've no idea what sort of bulb goes in a fridge or where to acquire them.

A further complication: the fridge came with the flat I have rented. So I have contacted the letting agency, but figured I'd ask for advice here too. smiley - smiley

So my bright sparks who don't go out when you close the door, how about a little illumination? smiley - smileysmiley - eureka

Post 2

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I can't help at all, but was intrigued because I read the title as "how to change the light bulb *behind* the fridge". It must be bedtime for me.

smiley - towel

Post 3

Baron Grim

It might be quite simple. It really depends on the make and model of your fridge. The last time I change a fridge light, the bulb was a screw in connection but smaller than the normal household bulbs. I used one from my disused photo enlarger from my dark room. I believe it was a 15 Watt bulb.

However, I've seen other refrigerators that take tube style bulbs. If you can determine how to access the bulb (probably by snapping or sliding out a plastic diffuser covering), you should then be able to easily remove the bulb and take it to a shop that carries a variety of bulbs (DIY/hardware/appliance store) and find a replacement.

Post 4

swl

Have you checked that the bulb isn't in the wrong way round? That happened to a friend of mine and it meant the light was going on when the door closed and going off when the door was open. A side effect was the salad kept growing and he didn't need to buy more for quite some time.

Post 5

Mu Beta

This is just the sort of helpful advice that hootoo needs.

B

Post 6

Baron Grim

Well, the only way to check to see if it is installed backwards is to put a small child in there, close the door and have the child tell you if the light came on.*

*Do try this at home.†

†On the other hand... maybe you shouldn't.‡

‡No, really, you shouldn't... I mean, unless it's a particularly small child. Otherwise you'll have to empty and remove the shelves and that's just more trouble than it's worth... Or, you could just find the little button in the door jamb that de/activates the light and press it while you have the door open and can see the light for yourself... On second thought, that's probably the easiest thing to do. Of course, the bulb can't really be installed "backwards" like described above, but it's always good to check things out for yourself.

Post 7

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

smiley - tongueout

Post 8

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Mine hasn't worked since I moved into the house. I'm lazy as sin, so I just use the main light in the kitchen. It's a little annoying sometimes, especially since the fridge is in a bit of an alcove, but the alternative just doesn't bear thinking about. Or maybe it does, I can't be bothered to try thinking about it and find out.

Post 9

swl

Have you thought of installing an Arctic Fox with a torch?

Post 10

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

In my experience changing a fridge light bulb requires you to first defrost it and bring everything to room temperature. The bulb can then be easily unscrewed, taken to a store to match the size and shape, and the new one screwed back in. Once the temperature drops again the metal contracts enough to make turning the bulb impossible without breaking it. Mine has been out the last six months because I'm too lazy to defrost.smiley - biggrin

Fsmiley - dolphinS

Post 11

Baron Grim

I didn't need to defrost mine. But if the bulb does stick, I'd recommend just locally defrosting the bulb housing with a hair dryer. This will take just minutes rather than hours.

Post 12

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - yikes
Using a hair dryer in a damp and quickly getting damper
environment may result in a very bright light coming on,
very briefly. Electric motors and heating coils do not
react well to moisture, especially dripping water.
smiley - eureka
Though I am led to believe that nowadays these things are
designed to have quick groundfault circuit breaking systems
owing to the tendency of many women to use them in steamy
bathrooms and drop them into tubs and toilets. Then again,
maybe the groundfault breaker is in the bathroom's mains
outlet and not in the device. Say, can you move the fridge
into the bathroom?
Hmmm...
~jwf~

PS: How many hootoo researchers does it take to change a
refrigerator lightbulb? The answer is a foregone concussion.

Post 13

Baron Grim

There really shouldn't be any ice in the main compartment of the refrigerator and even if there were, one should have little trouble avoiding drips while warming the light bulb housing.

Post 14

smiley - smiley
P'raps... but frost build up was mentioned
as a barrier to removal. Frost is sorta ice,
and ice melts when heated, right. The light
is probably positioned on a wall down which
there will be melt runoff from above owing
to the nature of heat rising. Not to mention
all the smiley - cry spilt milk.

smiley - winkeye
~jwf~

Post 15

smiley - erm

The lack of any update on this critical situation
is somewhat worrying.
smiley - erm
Has Clive been injured in the process?
smiley - headhurts
Or is he just resigned to making important
nutritional decisions in the dark?
smiley - yuk
Neither situation is a happy thing.
smiley - sadface
We need to hear of a positive outcome here peeps.
smiley - jester
~jwf~

Post 16

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

What an enlightening thread!smiley - yikes

I have never had to defrost a fridge in my lifesmiley - huh

All the fridges I have ever owned, their bulbs have outlasted them. So I can't help with the blown bulb situation, smiley - sorry

I'm happy to have learned something new today thanks to this threadsmiley - towel

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - diva

Post 17

I live! smiley - smiley

No word yet back from my letting agency, I'm guess it's some way down their list of priorities.

I did kinda-sorta defrost my fridge the other day (smiley - angel) and afterwards the light was a lot brighter and I thought it was just becuase I'd cleared the ice out of the way; now I'm thinking it was getting damp and about to fu - smiley - star

Hey! Who turned out the lights?

Post 18

"How many hootoo researchers does it take to change a
refrigerator lightbulb?"

Ha! smiley - laugh

Well, quite. smiley - winkeye

Post 19

Rudest Elf

I guess you've opened this thread for laughs...... or you'd have given us the fridge's make & model by now. But, I'll bite:

If there is no obvious fastener (screw etc) securing the light cover, you'll need to (gently) ease out the cover with a screwdriver.

The bulb can then either be screwed or pulled out. It's likely to be one of these: http://www.espares.co.uk/parts/light-bulbs/fridge-lamps/p/1498

On the other hand..... if you're prepared to forgo the macho satisfaction from 'getting the job done'... then allow the managing agent to deal with the problem gratis. (As a landlord myself, I am all too aware that fixing the slightest defect in any of the flat's facilities is the agent's responsibility to deal with, at the owner's expense.)

smiley - reindeer

Post 20

Orcus

>All the fridges I have ever owned, their bulbs have outlasted them. So I can't help with the blown bulb situation, <

Ah well in this new age of recycling, reuse and saving the environment, what you should have done is the opposite of Clive.

Get a new fridge but before you turn it on, take out the new bulb, store it and install the one from the old fridge until it does pop. That way you also have a spare when it does smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more