A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Does Innocent House exist for real?

Post 1

Titania (gone for lunch)

The building featured in the mini TV series titled 'Original Sin' featuring Dalgliesh. It's based on a book with the same name written by P. D. James. Looks a bit like a Venetian palace.

I did find one of the places from the series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolwich_foot_tunnel

Post 2

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I was hoping 'Innocent House' would turn out to be an obscure new sub-genre of music...

Post 3

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - wow
That link took me on a journey through time and space
up and down the Thames from the ice-age to the present.

Merrily clicking between wiki links and google maps I've
now gleaned a sense of the place names I've read so often
in History and fiction.

From Samuel Pepys to Orwell's War of The Worlds the entire
Lea Valley area has always captured my imagination and now
I feel much more at home in my imagination.

Most surprising are the changes that have occurred in the
last half century since I first became aware of London in
British films and TV series and B&W news footage of the
fogs over the bridge in the 1960s.

Must go play some Handel now and try to picture the Royal
barges and the fireworks...

Thank you
smiley - ta
~jwf~

Post 4

smiley - doh
>> Orwell's <<

??? smiley - spacesmiley - huh

My mind said HGWells but my fingers typed it ORWell's.
smiley - flustered

I mean there's typos and then there's that sort.
I call them Jungian girdles; like Freudian slips
but much less sexy.

smiley - blush
~jwf~

Post 5

Titania (gone for lunch)

While Just Bob's reply was quite interesting:

>>I was hoping 'Innocent House' would turn out to be an obscure new sub-genre of music...>>

I'm still left wondering if this building really exists? As in the RL, you know?

And I'm pleased to have sent off jwf down an interesting lane.

Post 6

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

We had that book out from the library on audiobook for one of our long car journeys. I remember it fondly.

Can't help with your actual question, mind you.

TRiG.smiley - book

Post 7

smiley - ok

Always enjoy a good meander thru cyberspace T&R.

Let me return the favour.
First the teaser:
"For those with dependents attending Sixth Form College Colchester on North Hill, living in Innocence Lane is not ideal, as they will face a longer journey than most of their friends."
http://www.mouseprice.com/property-information/ref-9537836/innocence+house+innocence+lane+ipswich+ip10+0pj
No need to 'Sign In' just scroll down.

smiley - cheers
~jwf~

Post 8

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

I can't help you either, Ti (not read any PD James afaik - not that be averse, I like a good detective romp)

Bob said

I'm *so* glad it isn't smiley - winkeye

Post 9

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I sort of imagine Innocent House would sound something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0CHAZJr3OE
smiley - winkeye
If you're talking about a TV series, I gather that common practice is to film internal shots elsewhere to external, and in fact often in a studio. The building probably exists somewhere, but the inside will not be what you see in the show.

Post 10

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"I was hoping 'Innocent House' would turn out to be an obscure new sub-genre of music..." [Just Bob]

You mean like rock tuba or jazz violin? smiley - evilgrin PDQ Bach wrote a piece for bagpipes, bicycle, and balloons.

Post 11

Titania (gone for lunch)

What? Where?smiley - bigeyes

(the bagpipe etc thingie)

Post 12

Titania (gone for lunch)

Ahd ewwww at Just Bob's link - I really dislike (mildly put) that bouncy-happy-people thingie!

Post 13

Bald Bloke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._D._Q._Bach

Post 14

"What? Where? (the bagpipe etc thingie)" [Titania & Ripley]

I don't exactly recommend the piece in question, which is called "Pervertimento for Bicycle, Bagpipes, and balloons."

However, there are many funny pieces. In the cantata "Iphigenia in Brooklyn," professor Schickele notes that the composer writes for double reeds. Just the reeds. They aren't attached to oboes or bassoons. So, in
climactic passages when the reeds come in, they sound very very strange.smiley - weird There is also a grand oratorio called "The Seasonings," which elevates banality to levels rarely seen elsewhere. It starts with a countertenor solemnly relating that "There were in the same country shepherds' pies, which lacked but one ingredient. And so the shepherd chef sought out a soothsayer." The soothsayer said, "Bide they thyme." The chef then asked if the soothsayer had any thyme, to which she replied,"If you've got the money, honey, I've got the thyme." And so on toward great silliness. smiley - smiley

Post 15

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

I'm reading a PD James right now (I shouldn't be, as I'm also halfway through two other books). She's very good at filling in the backgrounds of even minor characters. When you get a vivid description of someone's character, family situation, and childhood in a detective novel, you assume this character is going to be important. In PD James, it might be a one-scene character. Makes for big books, but they're fun, and there's enough detail to distract you, which I suspect is largely the point. (Actually, she probably writes like that because she likes writing like that. Distraction is a pleasant side-effect. She's a very very good writer.)

TRiG.smiley - smiley

Post 16

The only PD James I've read is 'Children of Men', which was brilliant, and made em wish she did more sci-fi.

Post 17

I never read "Children of men," but I enjoyed the movie version.smiley - ok

Post 18

Yeah, that's what made me pick up the book. It has a different ending, but they're both good.

Post 19

[smiley - run to see what other books P D James has written]

Post 20

Bill Walton

At about 1:49 minutes into the film innocent house is shown from the side. The matching house is at Wapping Pierhead, Wapping High Street E1 and can be seen on many websites.
https://hidden-london.com/gazetteer/wapping/

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more