A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Anyone watching Game of Thrones? (warning: possible spoilers)

Post 381

Orcus

Ah, phew - some of us were previously talking about extraneous bits of Theon having been chopped off. smiley - yikes

Post 382

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Just going to drop this one in here for giggles:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/the-names-of-game-of-thrones-characters-according-to-someone

Post 383

Orcus

Lord Weasel - perfect smiley - biggrin

I saw this elsewhere and enjoyed it...
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://weknowmemes.com/generator/uploads/generated/g1336378438487845307.jpg&imgrefurl=http://weknowmemes.com/generator/meme/70989/&h=312&w=550&sz=47&tbnid=jA_oz7hO4FI93M:&tbnh=90&tbnw=159&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dwarg%2Binto%2Bhodor%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=warg+into+hodor&usg=__4N3-VUNKsNU9U1B84j4-OCdIHrw=&docid=tN5TALnqmrXFgM&sa=X&ei=TBW6Ue-FBcLD0QXP4YAo&ved=0CEAQ9QEwAg&dur=434

Post 384

Secretly Not Here Any More

Listening to a Podcast about the latest series. They picked up on the House Bolton sigil (the flayed man suspended on a cross), and in a tone of complete incredulity came out with this gem:

"The Boltons. How could anyone trust the Boltons? Their symbol is a man being tortured on a cross. How could anyone look at that symbol and not think these people were evil?"

The total lack of making the obvious link there just made me smirk.

Post 385

Hoovooloo

"Their symbol is a man being tortured on a cross. How could anyone look at that symbol and not think these people were evil?"

Love it. Absolutely love it.

Post 386

Secretly Not Here Any More

Anyway, Season Four.

Is anyone else getting slightly peeved about the amount of sexual violence in the TV adaptation?

Don't get me wrong, horrible things happen to women (and men) in GRRM's books, but it always (to me) seems to be in the service of the story and George's over-riding point that humans can be monstrous, and that a patriarchal society is bad for all concerned (as evidenced by the lack of raping in "equal" Dorne).

But in the TV show, we've had three weeks of rape after rape after rape. There's the show's abject mishandling of *that* scene in the sept (which was consensual in the book), followed by a TV-only character urging his followers to "EFF 'EM TILL THEY'RE DEAD," capped off by this week's adventure in which we have a TV-only scene where a teenage girl is threatened with violent, knifey rape in front of her brother.

I understand GoT has to live up to the "tits and gore" reputation, but I can't understand the fixation with rape.

I suppose we should've guessed when a scene in which "savage" Khal Drogo uses his one-word grasp of the common tongue to ensure his bride consents to their wedding night was replaced on TV with Drogo raping Dany who's then forced to "white man's burden" her way into anything other than violent, non-consensual doggy style.

Post 387

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

What I want to know is, what do they have against marriage? Every wedding we have seen so far (not to mention a couple yet to come) seems to have rapidly ended in disaster. Tyrion is lucky that his was merely an embarrassing farce.

Post 388

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Ay Karumba...

That was... shocking.

FB

Post 389

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Really? A lot of my friends have posted reactions similar to yours, but I wasn't *that* surprised. Do you just mean because it was graphically bloody? It was pretty full-on in that way, but I have seen too many horror movies that are far worse to be affected by it any more.
As for the actual outcome (and I have read the books, but am prepared for them to veer off at any moment), I have seen and read far too much of this series to expect it to play out in a straightforward manner. As such, I withheld judgement all the way through, so when the switchback came, it didn't knock me off me feet.

Key: Complain about this post