A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Anyone watching Game of Thrones? (warning: possible spoilers)

Post 361

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Sometimes I can't decide who's more annoying at times, Joffrey or Melisandre. How awesome was his slapdown from Tywin though? smiley - biggrin

Post 362

Orcus

Good episode but a bit, umm, of an anticlimax after last week I thought. I was expecting more somehow.

I supposed the next season will kick off with a bang now. smiley - ok

Post 363

swl

Succumbed to temptation last night and bought the first book on kindle. I just can't face nine months of withdrawal symptoms.

Plus I'm sure I'm missing some of the nuances and references

Post 364

Yes, the end was a bit anti-climatic. I was fully expecting Lady Stoneheart to appear as the cliffhanger smiley - sadface

Post 365

Hoovooloo

The very, very end was, indeed, a bit "meh". A shame they had to finish on what seemed to me to be the weakest scene. Then again, that's the third season in a row where I've turned to the person I watch the show with and gone "Wow - next season Westeros is ***ked, bigtime!". It's taking it's time getting there, though...

But as a finale, it wasn't anticlimactic at all. It was brilliant. So many things to love about it, but above all, the meeting of the small council. I had to watch it twice, because it was so awesome. "The king is tired...". So much said with just looks, too. In fact this whole episode had a great deal said without any words at all. I can't think of many shows where that's so noticeable. The best scene of that kind by far was one from last season with Tyrion and Cersei, where she was crying and he was hesistantly resisting doing anything to physically comfort her. Just two people, one in tears, one standing in front of her, but SO MUCH was conveyed.

Joffrey remains just about the only character with absolutely no redeeming features at all, although Melisandre is running him a close second, and Stannis last night came across as, yes, an angry puppet - is he this damn stupid in the books? Because that's how he comes across - stupid.

It was great to see Balon Greyjoy again, the old git, and Aemon Targaryen (always slightly scary to think of who he actually is/was before he joined the Night's Watch). Sam Tarly, first man to kill a White Walker in thousands of years - nice.

"You know nothing Jon Snow"... good work hitting a target forty metres away on a galloping horse... did he really think she wouldn't hurt him? Just how stupid is he?

I particularly liked Sandor Clegane's words to Arya: "When you're going to do something like that again, tell me first." Not "Don't do that again." Just "tell me first". I've had a sneaking liking for him since he took a shine to Sansa, and he seems to be making a habit of protecting Stark daughters despite their open hatred of him.

Yay for Davos - doing the right thing, knowing it'll cost him his life most probably.

It's amazing just how much was got through in this episode, just how much actually HAPPENED, given how slow some of the earlier episodes have been. And yet it did not feel rushed.

Can't wait for season 4... Valar Morghulis...

Post 366

Beatrice

Did you mean Tyrion and Sansa? Yes, that has been the scene that's haunted me ever since watching that episode. I've always had a crush on Tyrion - he's the most humane and empathetic of the characters, even while trapped in a "monstrous" body. Certainly he's the only one I'd like to spend a night down the pub with. And I remember Sansa's delight and anticipation at moving to Kings Landing - her isolation and despair must be enormous.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the Cersei/ Jamie reunion - he looked at his mutilated hand and almost gave an apologetic shrug. Does this mean there's no more hanky-panky?

Post 367

Orcus

Yes Stannis is not at all likeable/clever in the book and doesn't really come across as much different in the series.

To be fair, the author is intimately involved and they've got nearly all the characters very much spot on. Sandor Clegane and his relationship with the Stark daughters being an excellent case in point.
He is one character - and very much not the only one - whose character gets very much fleshed out in the books - starting as a bit evil and ending up semi-likeable.

You think Ramsay Snow/Bastard of Bolton (Theon's 'friend') has some redeeming character then?
I guess maybe he's a bit new so far.

(I suspect Hoo was talking about the Tyrion/Cersei scene that was rather good too - actually Cersei is maybe the only character who is significantly different to the books)

Post 368

HonestIago

I like how they tend to follow an action heavy episode with a character or theme-heavy episode. All through the episode (and arguably the series) we'd seen generosity and honour will lead to failure, that someone can't make it through the world without family.

Then we have Dany, who has no living family and started the series as a pawn to be traded, did something truly noble and selfless and, in that moment, she became a queen. She attained a standing and power the Lannisters can only dream of.

An army behind her, followers all around her and Westeros in front of her. Dany has the mind, the will and the name to make Westeros better.

Post 369

Hoovooloo

"You think Ramsay Snow/Bastard of Bolton (Theon's 'friend') has some redeeming character then?"

Yup. Sense of humour. Good taste in chicks. Strong stomach. Creativity. So, he's a touch psychopathic, who isn't? Frankly, given the opportunity he's got, I'd happily do what he's done, and worse, to Theon Greyjoy, nasty snivelling little git that he is. Ramsay is a far more interesting and likeable character than Joffrey, who is to all intents and purposes a teenage Hitler in a tunic.

Post 370

swl

Snivelling he may be, but was torturing him for an entire season not dragging things out a bit?

Post 371

Hoovooloo

If you look at the state of Theon, consider what he went through, it looks like the "entire season" from his POV lasted a week, two at the outside.

It's not like "seasons" last a whole year.

And dragging this out a bit is the entire point of torture. You can't torture someone quickly and be any good at it. I mean, you can hurt them *physically* quite quickly - see the excellent scene in the recent classic serial "Utopia", where the thick one from "Four Lions" was on the receiving end of some sand, salt, chilli powder and a spoon. But that's clearly not what our hero is about. He's about breaking Theon *mentally*. Messing with his head. That takes time.

Post 372

Orcus

>"You think Ramsay Snow/Bastard of Bolton (Theon's 'friend') has some redeeming character then?"

Yup. Sense of humour. Good taste in chicks. Strong stomach. Creativity. So, he's a touch psychopathic, who isn't? Frankly, given the opportunity he's got, I'd happily do what he's done, and worse, to Theon Greyjoy, nasty snivelling little git that he is. Ramsay is a far more interesting and likeable character than Joffrey, who is to all intents and purposes a teenage Hitler in a tunic. <

smiley - ok
smiley - biggrin

I like your thinking to be fair.

Post 373

Ooh, another Utopia fan smiley - biggrin I'm considering making "Where is Jessica Hyde?" into a phone notification but if I do I'll make myself jump constantly.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Bastard's plan in action as he torments Theon/Reek even more smiley - biggrin

Post 374

Orcus

I've just recalled this morning that they've upped the ante on what bits get cut off him. I'm sure Balon received a finger in the book as opposed to *ahem*

Post 375

Beatrice

Guess what I've been sitting on? smiley - biggrin

Post 376

Secretly Not Here Any More

Yer arse?

Post 377

Orcus

*is not saying anything here*
My mind is boggling with so many implications.

Post 378

"Yer arse?"

smiley - rofl

Post 379

Hoovooloo

I've JUST realised what it is Beatrice was talking about...

You sat on the Iron Throne? COOOOOL!

Post 380

Beatrice

smiley - biggrin
Yes it was at the exhibition - lots of costumes and props to admire - not a great choice of T Shirts/ keyrings/ mugs. Dany's clothes look really tiny!

Key: Complain about this post