A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Anyone watching Game of Thrones? (warning: possible spoilers)

Post 1

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

We're getting the first episode of the second season tonight, and I'm stoked! smiley - wowsmiley - wowsmiley - wowsmiley - somersault
Everyone's talking about it, too. I remember about 5 years ago, when I was one of around 100 people who came to Manchester's Deansgate Waterstone's for a book signing of the newly released 'A Feast For Crows'. Now, I'm hearing from all sorts of directions how people are catching up with the books to prepare for the new series, including some who I'd never have thought would be interested in epic fantasy.
Well, just you wait for the 'Battle of the Blackwater' episode, which is due to be written by GRRM himself, and directed by Neil Marshall (Dog Soldiers, The Descent). smiley - coolsmiley - coolsmiley - coolsmiley - somersault

Post 2

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Ho yus, I shall be rooted to my seat.

Not read A Feast for Crows yet. It's in my pile.

Post 3

Orcus

I'm about half way through A Dance With Dragons at the moment.

I'll have to find him at a book signing one of these days.

Post 4

HonestIago

Yep, the facebook group had got me pretty excited and I'm currently rewatching S1: bought the boxset on Thursday as an end-of-term reward (record low for making students cry: parents, not so much).

Slightly off-topic but the S1 boxset is really quite awesone, even the basic DVD version. The box art is gorgeous, the extras are cool (might take me some time to get through all of them) and it really gives you insight into just how much time and effort is going in to making it.

S2 should be one of the highlights as Clash of Kings is competing for my favourite book of the series (Feast For Crows is the main competition). There should be lots of Tyrion scenes and they're always great fun.

Post 5

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Can we establish if I am going to frequent this thread will it contain spoilers just of what is shown on TV or also what is happening in future episodes that has appeared in the books?

Personally I am fine with the former but not with the latter.

FB

Post 6

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

I agree, FB. Although I've read the books, I would hate to spoil it for others.

Post 7

Orcus

I tried to avoid mention of the books (although I had to bite hard on my tongue at times - figuratively speaking) in the last series.

As to which book is best. Storm of Swords for me.

I'm of the opinion they've been going downhill since then really - the story has started to not go anywhere and the pace has slowed dramatically in recent books - (if it was ever going anywhere definitive - from what I've seen of GRRM interviews, perhaps not).

Post 8

Orcus

So what did people think of the first one then?

A lot of stage setting and not much happening as yet for me. But then I worry that it's now going to get a bit too complicated to be a clear story arc for the viewer.

And I do not recall a Herod style massacre as we saw at the end there - was that in the book? I forget.

BTW - I got the wrong book earlier. I agree A Clash of Kings (the 2nd one) is the best. smiley - ok

Post 9

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

As with the first series, most of the best scenes were the verbal duels between two characters: Robb vs. Jaime, Tyrion vs. Cersei...

Post 10

Orcus

I never noticed before but all the Northmen sound like they're from Barnsley smiley - biggrin

Post 11

It's one of the few problems with the series: even characters who are meant to be from the south like Samwell Tarly have northern accents if they're seen mainly in the north. I just try to ignore it.

Post 12

HonestIago

There was no Herod-style massacre in the books and it'd be interesting to see who ordered that: was it Cersei, responding to Littlefinger's threat, or was it Joffrey acknowledging he isn't Robert's son and taking out rivals. It's never made clear if Joffrey actually is aware of who his father is.

I enjoyed the scene between Cersei and Littlefinger, which was also new. The series is managing to make Cersei a more sympathetic character than the books: I've noticed it in my rewatch of S1 (the scene where Cersei and Robert surveyed the wreckage of their marriage really stands out), and it was strong in this episode.

Surprised they included Craster: he always seemed a bit of a pointless character in Clash of Kings so I wasn't expecting to see him in the show. Mellisandre was well-cast (she's got great eyes, which works with the character) but Stannis just seems a little too whiny and slight: I pictured Stannis as heavily built and more authoritative than he came across. I know I'm unusual in that, religious extremism aside, I quite like Stannis.

As others have said, a lot of set-up but I enjoyed it a lot. Loved seeing that additions to the title sequence like Dragonstone though I'm not sure why Vaes Dothrak was still there - Dany has left it far behind surely?

Post 13

Orcus

Although nice and dramatic I didn't really like that scene between Littlefinger and Cersei. He's too sneaky and clever to (more or less) openly threaten a psycho like her.

Post 14

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

I tohught it was utterly magnificent. And dagnamit it is making me wish my life away again.

I really wish I had the discpline to not watch it and then have an ace GOT weekend. But no a rats chance in hell of that happening!

FB

Post 15

Hoovooloo

I thought the scene with Littlefinger and Cersei was good - he is clever, but he clearly calculated that her position isn't what it once was, that her power is fragile and that she needs to watch her back. And he was right. And he calculated that that meant he could get away with taking the p**s. And he was wrong.

Direwolves get big, don't they?

That dragon looked so *real*, in part because the actress successfully acted as though it was really there, which is a lot, lot harder than it looks to judge by how many actors simply can't do it.

I expected Joffrey to at least have his mother's hand off for what she did, if not actually kill her.

Did anyone else go "oh, it's him" when that fat, drunk knight popped up? (He was in an episode of "Spaced" and has been in a bunch of stuff since...)

And as ever, Dinklage is the one to watch. He's brilliant.

Post 16

HonestIago

Littlefinger likes to provoke: we saw him provoke Varys and Ned Stark in S1, to various degrees of success, and we are told he provoked Ned's older brother enough to get a scar from groin to neck. The question is, what does he hope to achieve by provoking Cersei?

Post 17

Orcus

He loved Catelyn Stark (nee Tully) when he was a ward at the court of the Tully's at Riverrun.
This led him into conflict when Brandon Stark was betrothed to her. That's how he got the scar.

That's not provoking him for political gain - that's his passion for lady Stark.

(that maybe a bit of back story the series hasn't made clear - I'm not even sure we've met the Tullys yet... - they did do a bit of Littlefinger's feelings for her in the last series though - it is his one major weakness I think).

>Direwolves get big don't they.<

Told'ya smiley - tongueout

Post 18

Orcus

Oh and him at Varys are the main sneaky conspirators behind the scenes - with different styles of course. They do come into conflict a little but then, neither would likely turn soldiers on the other either.

Got to agree with with the casting of Stannis by the way - not how I see him either. I thought the Red Priestess was a little young too - not that I'm complaining smiley - winkeye

Post 19

Hoovooloo

Re: the bigness of the wolves - yep, you did tell me.

The mundane dogginess of them in season 1 was, I think, part of the obvious policy decision to keep the whole thing as grounded in reality as possible for as long as possible so as not to alienate people who don't like fantasy.

Hence you hear a lot about magic but see nothing much overtly magical - the "witch" who promised to heal Drogo with her magic didn't seem to achieve much that arguably wouldn't have happened anyway - you hear a lot about white walkers but see almost nothing, and even the revenant at the wall could have been someone in a coma or something. There's even talk of dragons but you don't see one at all (although I'm told people who aren't heterosexual men did in fact get to see some dragons, but I certainly didn't notice any smiley - drool).

Post 20

Beatrice

Got to watch it last night - magic!

The bit at the very end, where they're heading off through those strange twisted white trees - that's an actual road in Norn Irn, those trees are real.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more