A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Occupy h2g2

Post 81

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Woot! Go HN!

Although I would say read the internet instead of the paper or TV.

Not sure about OH2 so far. Effers has a point, this is silly, but not in a useful to Occupy way. I did hope for something with a bit more gravitas along with the madness.

Occupy h2g2

Post 82

Did you see where the cops were beating the Count because he was counting all the protesters being arrested?

occupysesamestreet
occupyh2g2

Occupy h2g2

Post 83

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Beaker!! (my favourite smiley - love)

Occupy h2g2

Post 84

kea, silliness often helps to illustrate a point. Humor has its uses in Occupy Wall Street. For example,

One percent of the monsters are eating 99% of the cookies!

occupysesamestreet
occupyh2g2

Occupy h2g2

Post 85

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

But all Monsters start somewhere, and start small. Who created them? Us...

We use oil? We create mega-oil oligarchs.

We need property? We create Mega Landlords.

We want to be healthy? We create pharmaceutical giants.

They ALL started with ONE person having a vision and following that dream.

Just my smiley - 2cents

But back to occupying h2g2.

Let's occupy it with new, interesting entries.

Get P.R.ing, folks.

smiley - laugh

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Occupy h2g2

Post 86

That must be a pretty nightmarish dream, MMF, if it is necessary to imprison one out of every 100 American adults to have a large enough prison work force, if it is necessary to let people die of preventable ailments to pay medical insurance CEOs large enough bonuses, if it is necessary to poison with carcinogens the precious land upon which we all depend for food in order that a tiny, tiny few may be even richer.

You go on to PR if you like. I'm staying here and Occupy h2g2.

occupyh2g2

Occupy h2g2

Post 87

smiley - monster

>>kea, silliness often helps to illustrate a point.

That's true HN smiley - ok I'm just not sure we're doing that though. Taking over the Towers and posting sillyness from there on the other hand....

'cept we don't have any Towers anymore smiley - wah Maybe we should all go camp in Z's backyard smiley - bigeyes.

Occupy h2g2

Post 88

Yeah, can't say I feel responsible for the oil I think there are a small number of people (1% apparently) who will do evil things. I guess many of us validate that though.

occupyh2g2

Occupy h2g2

Post 89

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Who is this "us", kimosabe?

I never asked the hedge fund banks to invent the derivative swap or whatever the heck they call it. I never asked Big Pharma to collude with the previous administration in the US to pass an unfunded prescriptions bill that prevented the government from bargaining for lower prices. I don't recall begging the coal industry to blow the tops off mountains.

And I am willing to go on and on in that vein.

I'm a political junkie, and I pay very close attention to the news, although as often as not I have to go to the net to find out what the US standard media doesn't consider news.

My interpretation of these "occupy" threads is that they express solidarity with the movement, but in a hootoo sort of way. There's a lot of humor and lateral thinking going on out there. For example, there is a homeless fellow near Zucotti Park (epicenter of the Wall St. protest) who has been shouting anti-semitic stuff. He was doing this long before the protesters arrived, but some media have seen fit to try and associate him with the protest. So nowe, whenever this fellow shows up he is loosely surrounded by protesters with signs saying things like "This guy is stupid."

Occupy h2g2

Post 90

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

We reap what we sow, and from little acorns.

But I'll desist there. We all have a dream, we just don't necessarily share them.

Now Towers. We've got a smiley - lighthouse!

We could always build our own.

smiley - lighthousesmiley - lighthousesmiley - lighthousesmiley - lighthousesmiley - lighthousesmiley - lighthouse

There. Solved!

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Occupy h2g2

Post 91

Effers;England.

>I demand that people make an attempt to learn something about the Occupy Wall Street movement.< HN

Sorry to busy dealing with real life people involved with the thing in London.

And they don't use terms like 'Occupy' which only makes lots of people feel excluded.They talk in normal language like everyone uses from my great Aunt living in Sevenoaks...to the guy down the street involved in the summer riots here.

Occupy h2g2

Post 92

How can you Occupy London without using the word Occupy? smiley - huh

>>
So nowe, whenever this fellow shows up he is loosely surrounded by protesters with signs saying things like "This guy is stupid."
>>

smiley - biggrin

I liked the one where the Fox newsreader was trying to do a story live from near one of the Occupy sites (OWS?) and everyone surrounded him and started chanting "Fox News Lies", to the extent that he had to abandon the attempt. Brilliant smiley - biggrin It's on youtube.

Occupy h2g2

Post 93

I'm sorry to hear that there are riots in London. Perhaps you could talk to some of your friends and find out from them where their activity began (hint: on Wall Street, New York City, New York, USA). I heard that things had turned very ugly in Italy, but was under the impression that things were peaceful elsewhere.

Occupy h2g2

Post 94

If you refuse to learn then I have no time to waste attempting to teach.

The world's wealthiest citizens perverted the entire economic system through market manipulation, just as they did when producing the Great Depression. That is why we Americans have taken to the streets. The Occupy Wall Street movement began here and we have every right to talk about it. We don't need your permission, and we don't have to try to talk like your great aunt.

Occupyh2g2

Occupy h2g2

Post 95

Effers;England.

>I'm sorry to hear that there are riots in London.<

Have you not already heard then? Most of the central area I live in was smashed or burned. When people get really angry in Peckham..they don't muck about.

But really they are salt of the earth.

And everyone in this area knows whats coming, coming in terms of cuts...There'll be plenty more riots...and no-one will need to know a dam thing about 'Occupy Wall street'

We do our own thing..and care very little at all about anything silly and/or American.

Occupy h2g2

Post 96

Effers;England.

>and we have every right to talk about it<

Of course you have but don't expect the rest of the world to know what you are talking about or even care.

We have our own day to day concerns...despite the illusion the web gives.

Occupy h2g2

Post 97

If you don't care then why are you posting here? Or is it us you don't care about? You're starting to ruin this thread smiley - erm

Occupy h2g2

Post 98

I demand that silliness be restored to this thread. *begins playing bongoes*

*badly*

Occupy h2g2

Post 99

'We do our own thing..and care very little at all about anything silly and/or American.'

Then Effers, you should start your own thread, and you should stop trying to derail this one. Because this thread is about Occupy h2g2. It says so in the subject line. And this thread is about the Occupy Wall Street movement, which has evolved into the Occupy Everywhere movement.

occupyh2g2

Occupy h2g2

Post 100

*plays sax badly*

occupyh2g2

Key: Complain about this post

Occupy h2g2

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more