A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Super Glue?

Post 1

DireTribe

Has anyone ever tried gluing the blade of a knife back together with super glue? Is it poisonous once dry?

(Top Tip - Don't try breaking open a coconut with a bread knife)

Super Glue?

Post 2

Not the monkey - Skreeeeeeeeeeeee

Not only is it not poisonous, but it is oflen used for minor surgical procedures. Climbers carry it, I'm told, for glueing flaps of skin back onto their fingertips. Also, guitarists.

Hurts like buggery, mind.

Odd simile, that. Doesn't hurt if you're gentle and use enough lubrication. smiley - whistlesmiley - run

Super Glue?

Post 3

DireTribe

I wish I'd known that yesterday Ntm. I just closed my eyes as I heard the PING......... of the blade ringing overhead.

I never thought stainless steel could break like that

Super Glue?

Post 4

highamexpat

In my experience the only thing it sticks really well is skin. i doubt very much it would stick part of a knife blade back on.

Super Glue?

Post 5

Pit - ( Carpe Diem - Stay in Bed )

There are knives and there are knives. Find a shop where professional cooks buy their tools - but don´t be shocked by the prices.
And as to superglue...probably not. The blade will be distorted where it has broken and you won´t get a fit good enough.

Super Glue?

Post 6

DireTribe

It's such nice granular surfaces on the ends of the break though, highamexpat. That and it's from an almost new knife set smiley - sadface

Super Glue?

Post 7

Orcus

This is the actual blade that has broken in half?

No chance, not in bazillion years.

Even if you can get it to stick, one slight bend of the knife and it will break the bond. Consider the diagrams in the following link...
http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Adhesives/Adhesives.html

smiley - sorry

Super Glue?

Post 8

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Orcus is right. You could stick it back together, and it would hold pretty well against some things, but dried superglue is pretty brittle, and it would just snap off if you tried to cut anything tough with it.

Super Glue?

Post 9

Ah. No. It's the *steel* that's snapped.

Put it this way...if superglue worked well for that kind of stuff...why would we have welders?

Super Glue?

Post 10

Geggs

I once had a friend who superglued his shoe to his foot. The sole was coming away from the lining, so he want to glue it back to together. And in order to get the shape right he glued it back together while wearing it.

It hurt a lot when he ripped his shoe off half an hour later. Then he had to rip the sock off too.

Geggs

Super Glue?

Post 11

DireTribe

smiley - sadface Cheers for that link Orcus, I know it's a far fetched notion, it's just such a perfect break near the handle and I don't know anyone with a Tig welder smiley - wah

I'll give it a go anyway, I'm just taping up a steel rule to act as support. It'll be interesting to see how much stress so little glue will bear

Super Glue?

Post 12

nortirascal

Not sure a tig welder would work successfully on stainless steel smiley - erm Dependant on the quality of stainless.

smiley - offtopic Interestingly the York Viking Helmet has links of drawn steel wire, pressure welded into links. Something even our most able nuclear engineering welders are incapable of duplicating with modern equipment, aside from drawing the wire of course smiley - laugh
All this by a 7th century blacksmith smiley - wow

Super Glue?

Post 13

Just a thought.

As well as, like, probably not working...and being a waste of a good steel rule...won't it make the blade a bit thick?

If you look around, you may be able to find a shop thet sells breadknives. That's the road I'd go down.

Super Glue?

Post 14

(Oh, I see. the rule is just a temporary splint. I'd still buy one, mind!)

Super Glue?

Post 15

smiley - eureka Or I've heard that some shops nowadays sell their bread pre-sliced. I'm told it's the best thing since smiley - run

Super Glue?

Post 16

DireTribe

Well it's setting

(please don't let me end up with steel rule glued to a bread knife, please don't let me end up with steel rule glued to a bread knife, please don't let me end up with steel rule glued to a bread knife, please don't let me end up with steel rule glued to a bread knife, )

Super Glue?

Post 17

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I thought that was a risk, and I presumed you'd taken precautions against it. Anything the glue comes into contact with will be glued along with it, to an at-least equal degree to what you intended to stick. One of my flatmates appears not to understand this, and persists in holding one of his models together with blu-tac while the superglue sets. Result? Any attempt to remove the blu-tac inevitably snaps the join.
In my experience with models, the only option is to find some way to balance it precariously at the angle you want, without anything actually touching the join.

Super Glue?

Post 18

DireTribe

What ever happened to polystyrene cement?

Goodness me -

'Applying cyanoacrylate to materials made of cotton or wool (such as cotton swabs, cotton balls, and certain yarns or fabrics) results in a powerful, rapid exothermic reaction. The heat released may cause minor burns, and if enough cyanoacrylate is used, the reaction is capable of igniting the cotton product, as well as releasing irritating vapor in the form of white smoke'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

Super Glue?

Post 19

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polystyrene_cement
As I thought, polystyrene cement is generally useful in gluing together plastic, as it's a solvent and so dissolves the plastic into a single lump. It's no good for metal models.
Actually, that's not quite true. I have used it for metal models, but it's really not as good.

Super Glue?

Post 20

smiley - bigeyes A powerful exothermic reaction, you say? I know what I'll be experimenting with tonight!

In between inhaling polystyrene cement, that is.

Key: Complain about this post