The Nation Decides.

Post 82

anhaga

Evan Harris is my kid's pediatrician.smiley - erm

Must be a different Evan Harris.smiley - smiley

The Nation Decides.

Post 83

Mrs Zen

Jaquie Smith didn't thank her husband for his outstanding suppor then?

The Nation Decides.

Post 84

anhaga

I was under the impression that the Lib Dems were expected to improve their situation substantially, but from the early results they're down five seats. If Labour and the Liberal Democrats continue to lose seats, is there still a possibility of a Tory majority?smiley - erm

The Nation Decides.

Post 85

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Evan Harris was vital in removing Blasphemy Laws from our statutes, he was a strong ally of secularism, libel reform, democratic reform, evidenced based medicine, Pro-Test, and other issues of concern to atheists, secularist, sceptics and other groups in the liberal reality-based community.

I'm finishing my smiley - stout and will move on to St Germain mixed with Pepsi, because it's that or White Mulled wine.

The Nation Decides.

Post 86

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Yes. Anhaga.

In Lib/Con battles Labour and Lib voters are moving to the Cons not supporting the Libs (or staying at home in very similar proportions to the Cons crawling out of the woodwork). But, Lab loyalists are coming out to protect Labour, even some of the much reviled ones.
But they're still taking loses that could put the Tories in a position where they have workable minority or even majority.

This is the pattern I was saying was being overlooked earlier. But it is getting more explicit.

The Nation Decides.

Post 87

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

It's asif Labour voters are following the Daily Mail advised voting stratagem.

The Nation Decides.

Post 88

Mrs Zen

A serious loss, then Jack. Though he didn't help out the Junior doctors much during the MTAS fiasco,

We were all expecting the Lib Dems to do better, Anhaga. Very very interesting that they haven't.

At the moment is seems pretty clear that the Tories will have the most seats, particularly since the rural (Tory) seats tend to declare later. However, tehy won't have an overall majority, which means that they will either have to corm a coalition with minor parties, or they will have to hope to carry the minor parties bill by bill. Or give up and call a second election. Or lose the vote following the Queen's Speech (where their proposed legislation is announced) and be forced into another election.

The Nation Decides.

Post 89

Mrs Zen

Jack's analysis is better than mine, as is his typing.

The Nation Decides.

Post 90

anhaga

'hope to carry the minor parties bill by bill.'

That's the general way here in Canada with Minority Governments.

I continue to find the regional divisions fascinating.

The Nation Decides.

Post 91

Mrs Zen

They are fascinating - and one of the strongest reasons for devolution that I know.

Hazel Blears keeps Salford. Meh.

The Nation Decides.

Post 92

Sho - employed again!

Blimey, it's exciting!
There's a fair bit of coverage on the German news about people being turned away. They're amazed you don't vote on a Sunday, given you have to vote where you live. But that might be too sensible?

The Nation Decides.

Post 93

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

smiley - bigeyes Morning everyone smiley - yawn

listening to Radio 4 - 'inexorable rush to a hung parliament'

think I'll go back to sleep smiley - zzz

The Nation Decides.

Post 94

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Ms Zen - "Hazel Blears keeps Salford. Meh."

No surprise that the biggest swing away from Labour was to the BNP, either.

The Nation Decides.

Post 95

Mrs Zen

True.

The elections are on Thursday because the usual pay day was Friday - that way thet voters were more likely to be sober.

Right, that's me done. I'm off to bed.

The Nation Decides.

Post 96

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Bona Nochy.
We can drown our sorrows at the Hootoo Meet. smiley - cheers

The Nation Decides.

Post 97

Sho - employed again!

Thanks, MrsZ, now you say that I remember it. smiley - blush

So now it would make more sense to vote on Sunday since, according to the Daily Mail, everyone in the UK is drunk all the time anyway smiley - rofl

The Nation Decides.

Post 98

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

So, Hove went the way I expected. But Brighton Pav. did not. The Greens took it. If it weren't for the Cons success I would be appalled but instead I am relieved.

With the Cons projected 306 that means, the Greens, SNP, PC, SDLP and Alliance parties are all very very much in play. In a hung parliament the incumbent gets first crack at forming a government.

I disagree with Effers about Libs needing to bite the Labour hand off, they need take the whole arm, the liberals aren't in the strong position I'd hoped that would allow them to play the Labservatives off of themselves, but they must take as much meat from Labour as possible. AV is an unacceptable solution to electoral reform. Labour would be back in for another generation under that system.
Fairer tax, that would make it easier for those on benefits to get into work without being so much poorer for it. And *substantive* electoral reform. These in my most humble opinion are vital.

The Nation Decides.

Post 99

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Can I just say that Pepsi Max and St Germain is a good combi, if like me you enjoy caffeine, alcohol and elderflower.

The Nation Decides.

Post 100

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97RSuv8hroc

Key: Complain about this post