A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Thoughts about the Polanski thing?

Post 121

HonestIago

Just seconding what Gif said, I really appreciate that you're giving us this chance and this responsibility.

Now can we get down to the truly controversial accusation? Is kzwg guilty of being a grammar Nazi? Is Mrs Zen culpable for being unable to conjugate her verbs?

Post 122

Alfster

Well, the BBC have to cover their (_|_)'s...*cough*...let's stop that train of thought there.

Post 123

Mrs Zen

Hey - verbs have conjugal rights. And wrongs, too, obviously.

Post 124

Sho - employed again!

sorry I'd unsubbed

I've replied to TPTB that I don't want to rewrite the original post. The reason being that I'm not a lawyer so I really don't know what I could leave in unless I just leave a link to the article that was in the post.

I think this might make a problem for the thread title though - so if everyone wants the title back I'll rewrite the post.

smiley - smiley

Post 125

Mrs Zen

Why not change it to "Is there such a thing as Correct English Usage?"

smiley - offtopic

B

Post 126

Giford

Or 'What did Roman ever do for us'?

Gif smiley - geek

Post 127

Mrs Zen

smiley - applause

Post 128

Sho - employed again!

hahah
too late I'Ve revised my post...
or shall I ask for that?

Post 129

Mrs Zen

Or "Who's sorry now?" perhaps?

Can we have a competition to pick a new name for the thread please? Pretty please?

Post 130

Alfster

How about: 'The rich get justice. The poor get the law.'?

Nothing libellous. A statement of fact...that could be discussed in general. A uestion mark on the end wuold change the tone the wrong way of course.

As for resubbing the original post: just leave the link to the story in it the rest of the thread explains everything anyway.

Post 131

Giford

I saw a documentary on Polanski a few months back - before he was back in the news - which gave a (comparatively) favourable spin to his side of the story.

Basically, he did a plea bargain, as a result of which it was agreed he would be sentenced to time served plus 2 years' probabtion. At this point - *after* Polanski admitted guilt to the lesser charges - the DA got involved, and the potential sentence increased dramatically. The judge presiding was later found to have acted improperly (I forget the details, but it was something about him seeing the trial as his moment of celebrity).

So Polanski's defence (according to the programme) was that he'd served his jail time and, OK, he'd fled probation but he hadn't reoffended during that period. He therefore regards his flight as a technical violation to avoid a serious miscarriage of justice, and his sentence as served. He had a *very* bad time in jail (again, I forget the details) and says he would have done anything to avoid going back - hence the plea-bargain.

The irony being - he's claiming his fame has worked *against* him. (Whether 42 days is an adequate sentence is, of course, another matter - the point was, it's (allegedly) what Jo Ordinary would have gotten (smiley - winkeye) for the same crime(s)).

Gif smiley - geek

Post 132

Mrs Zen

>> He had a *very* bad time in jail (again, I forget the details)

And now my prurient mind is speculating widly...

Removed

Post 133

Taff Agent of kaos

This post has been removed.

Thoughts about Roman Polanski thing

Post 134

Not-so-bald-eagle

Latest update from the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8286601.stm

smiley - coolsmiley - bubbly

Post 135

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

almaak, post 71: "Perhaps he's a genius, perhaps a pervert. Who knows!?"

Are the two mutually exclusive? And if they aren't, can genius be appreciated apart from perversion? (I do believe we've had this conversation before.)

I'd say "pled", though I might spell it "plead". Perhaps.

And I'd say that language usage is correct or incorrect according to its context.

I like strong verbs, and use them quite a bit.

TRiG.smiley - smiley

Post 136

kuzushi

'Roman Polanski should not get special treatment because he is a "big-time movie director", California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has said.'

That seems indisputably right to me, but I'm not French.

Post 137

toybox

I think most French would agree with you, Schwarzenegger and many more smiley - erm It's mostly some artists and a few politicians who don't, and it seems that doesn't make them too popular with the (French)man in the street. Or even other celebrities.

Post 138

toybox

Plus, most roundabouts I know have priority to those who are inside. Apparently it is indicated by a sign like this:
http://www.cheval.me/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/panneau-sens-giratoire.jpg
but mostly you have a 'yield' sign for oncoming traffic anyway:
http://colleges.ac-rouen.fr/delacroix/spip/IMG/html/cedez%20le%20passage.gif

Although, according to one 'traffic rules' site, there exist still some roundabouts with priority to incoming traffic smiley - shrug

Post 139

Taff Agent of kaos

ok so i got modded

refrase the question

who would you trust to babysit your 13 year old caughter?????

smiley - bat

Post 140

Taff Agent of kaos

ok so i got modded

refrase the question

who would you trust to babysit your 13 year old daughter?????

smiley - bat

Key: Complain about this post