A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Thoughts about the Polanski thing?

Post 81

Rudest Elf

"But isn't that much as 'brought' can be 'brang', or 'thought' 'thunk' (participle),"

No, kzwg, it isn't: http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/plead?view=uk

smiley - reindeer

Post 82

kuzushi

Your link confirms that the variant 'pled' is not the orthodox form.

Post 83

kuzushi

plead

• verb (past and past part. pleaded or N. Amer., Scottish, or dialect pled)

Post 84

kuzushi

Like I said, it's akin to 'dove' instead of 'dived'.

Post 85

Br Robyn Hoode - Navo - complete with theme tune

In a similar vein 'led' as in 'He was led (or laid, but pronounced led) down' instead of 'laying' or 'lying' I am told is a Bristol thing... Anyone else heard it anywhere else?

Post 86

Mrs Zen

West country perhaps - I've heard that in Gloucestershire.

I've never heard 'brang' though. 'Brung', yes, as a joke "I was brung up to talk proper" but not brang.

Post 87

kuzushi

'Brang' is the past tense form, 'brung' is the past participle form.
Kids say stuff like this, conjugating 'bring' like 'ring'.

Post 88

Mrs Zen

Well, it's Anglo-Saxon vowel-shift stuff, isn't it. And there's no right and wrong, merely usage.

Post 89

kuzushi

It's true that language is merely how people use it, but there is what is considered correct usage. Some might argue it's ok to say, "I knowed what to do", or "The dog eated the meat", but most people would find this 'wrong'.

Post 90

Mrs Zen

There is effective and ineffective usage, and that depends on context, so if you are in a formal situation you need formal language - "correct" language, if you like.

But it's as meaningless to talk about correct and incorrect usage as it is to talk about round and square usage, or red and yellow usage, or furry and satiny usage.

Post 91

Br Robyn Hoode - Navo - complete with theme tune

Oh I dont know. The dog ate his green when you mean the dog ate his food is pretty pointless smiley - winkeyesmiley - tongueincheek

Post 92

kuzushi

<>

So it's not incorrect usage to say "My friend goed to Spain"?

Post 93

Mrs Zen

Is it usage? Have you ever heard anyone say that?

Post 94

kuzushi

Yes, not often, but I have heard very educationally disadvantaged people use forms like that.

Gramitically correct -or not- thoughts about the Polanski thing?

Post 95

Not-so-bald-eagle

smiley - lurk

Post 96

kuzushi

Anyway, I take it that you'd say it's not incorrect usage to say "My friend goed to Spain".

Post 97

Mrs Zen

"Forms like that" eh?

If it's usage it's usage. If it's made up then it's not usage. And you are right, I don't use the terms "correct" or "incorrect" in the context of English usage by native speakers. Thinking about it, I might use it in the context of non-native speakers.

I do use terms like "formal", "educated", "effective", "clear", and "local" and "dialect" and "idiosyncratic" and "quirky" and even "perceived as correct", but I don't use "correct" and "incorrect" because - as I said - they're meaningless. It's like talking about the "correct way to have sex" or "the correct way to kiss" or "the correct way to digest your food" or "the correct way to laugh at a joke".

Post 98

kuzushi

<<"Forms like that" eh?>>

Yes, treating strong verbs as if they were weak verbs.

What is perceived as correct or incorrect is governed by convention, and ultimately it is arbitrary, but I don't agree that it's meaningless.

Just because something is arbitrary or a convention doesn't necessarily make it meaningless. In the UK we drive on the left, and this is an arbitrary thing, but it's very important for road safety, and in the sphere of language knowing and observing the conventions aids communication.

Post 99

Mrs Zen

Did I say it was meaningless?

Post 100

KB

Now we've finished with the Polanski trivia we can get on to the controversial stuff. smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post