A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Favourite opening line to a novel?

Post 81

crazychriskringle

Once upon a time there were two cities within a city. One was light and one was dark. One moved restlessly all day while the other never stirred. One was warm and filled with ever-changing lights. ONe was cold and fixed in place by stones. Adn when the sun went down each afternoon on Maximus Films, the city of the living, it began to resemble Green Glades cemetery just across the way, which was the city of the dead.

Ray Bradbury, A Graveyard For Lunatics

Post 82

Langly

The War of the Worlds one sounds even better when read by Richard Burton smiley - smiley

The Discworld quote had me scratching my head. Thought it was 'Sourcery' at first, but it's Theatre of Cruelty isn't it?

"It was a nice day.
All the days had been nice. There had been rather more than seven of them so far, and rain hadn't been invented yet. But clouds massing east of Eden suggested that the first thunderstorm was on its way, and it was going to be a big one."

smiley - rainbow Lx

Post 83

Lord Job Boron. That's Lord Job Boron To You!

Forget opening lines, a novel should have a very short preface such as this one from the Picture of Dorian Grey (Oscar Wilde). *Apologise for length, just couldnt find a good place to stop it*

The Preface
The artist is the creator of beautiful things.

To reveal art and conceal the artist is art's aim.

The critic is he who can translate into another manner or a new material his impression of beautiful things.

The highest as the lowest form of criticism is a mode of autobiography. Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming.

This is a fault.

Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope.

They are the elect to whom beautiful things mean only beauty.

There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written.

That is all.

The nineteenth century dislike of realism is the rage of Caliban seeing his own face in a glass.

The nineteenth century dislike of romanticism is the rage of Caliban not seeing his own face in a glass.

The moral life of man forms part of the subject-matter of the artist, but the morality of art consists in the perfect use of an imperfect medium. No artist desires to prove anything. Even things that are true can be proved.

No artist has ethical sympathies.

An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style. No artist is ever morbid. The artist can express everything.

Thought and language are to the artist instruments of an art.

Vice and virtue are to the artist materials for an art.

From the point of view of form, the type of all the arts is the art of the musician.

From the point of view of feeling, the actor's craft is the type.

All art is at once surface and symbol.

Those who go beneath the surface do so at their peril.

Those who read the symbol do so at their peril.

It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors.

Diversity of opinion about a work of art shows that the work is new, complex, and vital.

When critics disagree, the artist is in accord with himself.

We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.

All art is quite useless.

Post 84

BartonStacey

"Mr Good is very good."

Mr. Good, Roger Hargreaves. Number 46 in the collection (but then you knew that).

Post 85

BartonStacey

'Mr Good is very good.'

From "Mr. Good", by Roger Hargreaves. Number 46 in the Mr.Men collection (but then you knew that).

Post 86

BartonStacey

sorry about the.... I had a ..... and hadn't realised I'd.... but appar.... and so you se....

Post 87

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

"Mr. Klirk had had a favorite spot on one of the lenses of his spectacles. All day as he did his double entries, that particular spot and it's wonderful shape kept him company. The worst day of his life began when he awoke to find that his wife had cleaned his glasses."

"Hole In The Road" by Epod P. Harmacist

Post 88

Athena the Wise

"The regular early morning yell of horror was the sound of Arthur Dent waking up and suddenly remembering where he was."

-Life, the Universe and Everything
by Douglas Adams

Post 89

EvilClaw: The Catmanthing

"In a distant and secondhand set of dimensions, in an astral plane that was never meant to fly, the curling star mists waver and part..."

-Prologue of Color of Magic, Terry Pratchett

Post 90

Cardi

Very well done a big gold star to Langly. I'm impressed someone got it so quickly. smiley - cakesmiley - biggrinsmiley - cheers

Post 91

BartonStacey

I still maintain this has to clinch it: "Mr Good is very good". From Mr. Good, number 46 in the Mr.Men series.

Post 92

Cheerful Dragon

There's as much chance of me picking a favourite opening line as there is of me picking a favourite book. So here's one at random.

The man in grey decided to take the Glen suite of diamonds at midnight. Provided the owners were away.

Try guessing the book and author. The only clue is that it has nothing to do with diamonds or robbery.

Post 93

Athena the Wise

I've got no clue on that one, but here's another good opener:

If you are interested in stories with happy endings, you would be better off reading some other book. In this book, not only is there no happy ending, there is no happy beginning and very few happy things in the middle.

-A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book the First, The Bad Beginning
by Lemony Snicket
(one of my favorite series smiley - ok)

Post 94

A Super Furry Animal

>> *Apologise for length, just couldnt find a good place to stop it* <<

Now *that* should be the preface to a novel! smiley - rofl

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 95

Cardi

Try this one then Langly...

When Death met the philosopher, the philosopher said, rather excitedly: "At this point, you realise, I'm both dead and not dead."
There was a sigh from Death. Oh dear, one of those, he thought. This is going to be about quantum again. He hated dealing with philosophers. They always tried to wriggle out of it.

smiley - biggrin

Post 96

smartkasese

Iv'e been off line for a while I guess no one recognized my quote. It's from Cry The Beloved Country by Allan Paton.
One of the greatest novels written. He was a South African White man who produced a book that was banned in his own country. Here goes another one of my favourite books and it's opening line " He wished the phone would stop ringing. It was bad enough to be sick let alone haveing a phone ring all night long." That was from Dalton Trumbo's " Johnny Got His Gun" A book which was banned by the McCarthy enquiries because of it's blatant stance against war. Iv'e always thought that Michael Ondaathe used Trumbos original idea to write "The English Patient". Read the first mentioned and then the latter and see if you can formulate the simmilarities. Perhaps I'm off the wall. Ksmiley - erm

Post 97

fundamentallyflawed

Oooh, I like this thread... I don't really have a favourate opening line but here are some I enjoy.

"Woody Creek, Col.-Strange epitaph for a strange year and no real point in explaining it either."

-The Great Sharkhunt, Hunter S. Thompson

"What's it going to be then, eh?"

-A Clockwork Orange, Anthony Burgess (The whole opening paragraph is rather enjoyable.)

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth."

-The Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger

"Who is John Galt?"

-Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand

I have more, but you're probably all bored by nowsmiley - winkeye

Post 98

Delicia - The world's acutest kitten

smiley - blackcat

Post 99

Langly

Cardi-Bling...

You got me with that one, I had to resort to a Google search, and found the whole text on t'net smiley - smiley

Good story smiley - ok

smiley - rainbow Lx

Post 100

fiery opaleye - the happiest little Vegemite as bright, as bright can be

From "Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers" by Rob Grant and Doug Naylor -

"'DESCRIBE, USING DIAGRAMS WERE APPROPRIATE, THE EXACT CIRCUMSTANCES LEADING TO YOUR DEATH.' Saunders had been dead for almost two weeks and so far, he hadn't enjoyed a minute of it."

Key: Complain about this post