What novel is that from?

Favourite opening line to a novel

Post 62

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

"The Borrowed Raincoat", by S. Simone Trebuchet

Post 63

Random Mood

My father’s family name being Pirrip, and my Christian name Philip, my infant tongue could make of both names nothing longer or more explicit than Pip. So, I called myself Pip, and came to be called Pip.
Great Expectations/Charles Dickens

Post 64

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

Well, I'm sulking as Nogin and ReddyFreddy stole my two within minutes of the thread opening.

But I will admit to a fondness for;

'A sky the colour of a television tuned to dead static' from William Gibson's 'Neuromancer'.

smiley - shark

Post 65

Random Mood

"You must eat the cold porridge"
One For My Baby/Tony Parsons

Post 66

airscotia-back by popular demand

3 May. Bistritz.-Left Munich at 8.35 p.m. on 1st May, arriving at Vienna early next morning; should have arrived at 6.46, but the train was an hour late.

A rather banal start to the fantastic Dracula.

Post 67

Langly

" 'Are you awake, Will? Will? Wake up, it's time for your medicine, love...'
The face swung like a pendulum, to and fro; rose high up in a pink blur; dropped again; divided into six pink blurs, all of them spinning madly like wheels. He closed his eyes. He could feel sweat cold on his forehead, panic cold in his mind. I've lost it. I've forgotten! Even in darkness the world spun round. There was a great buzzing in his head like rushing water, until for a moment the voice broke through it again."

The Grey King, by Susan Cooper.

If you haven't read it, start at the beginning of The Dark is Rising sequence with "Over Sea, Under Stone"

smiley - rainbow Lx

Post 68

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Oh, oh!
I love those books!
I was first exposed to "The Dark Is Rising" on an audio cassette back in 1984. I wore that thing out!

I later got the books for my daughter, who still rereads them on a regular basis.

Favourite opening line to a novel?

Post 69

Lord Wolfden - Howl with Pride

Dark spruce forest frowned on either side the frozen waterway.

Post 70

Lord Wolfden - Howl with Pride

above /\ from White Fang

http://www.online-literature.com/london/whitefang

smiley - fullmoon

Post 71

Steve K.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel"

Neuromancer, William Gibson

Post 72

smartkasese

Since A Tale of two Cities is already mentioned, here's another of my favourite novels " There is a lovely road that runs from Ixopo into the hills. These hills are grass-covered and rolling, and they are lovely beyond any singing of it" Anyone know where that is from?smiley - winkeye Yes it is a famous novel.

Post 73

Mister Matty

"The sky was the colour of television, tuned to a dead channel"

William Gibson, "Neuromancer"

Post 74

Mister Matty

""The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel""

I think that earns me two "oops"es smiley - blush

Anyway, what he said.

Post 75

Steve K.

Its a good enough line to deserve two votes, at least. smiley - ok

Post 76

Mister Matty

Three, looking at Blues Shark's post earlier in the thread.

Post 77

Steve K.

Ah ... my oops.

Post 78

Steve K.

that's a better line than I thought. On "Nova" last night (a PBS show on the origins of the universe), they said 1% of the static on a TV tuned to a dead station was left over microwave radiation from the Big Bang. smiley - bigeyes

I think the other 99% comes from the microwave oven in my kitchen ...

Post 79

echomikeromeo

"O, for a muse of fire!"

Shakespeare, Henry V

"Theo, by occupation, was a devil."

Lloyd Alexander, Westmark

And, of course, the obligatory Douglas Adamses. And all the Shakespeares.

smiley - dragon

Post 80

Cardi

What about...

No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.
H.G.Wells War of the Worlds

It may have been a little debased by the film lately but its a great book. Like Jules Verne, Wells was just so radically ahead of his time with his concept which today seem so modern. Besides I love the way the opening line also encapsulates the end at the same time.

If not that heres one for you Pterry fans to identitfy...

It was a fine summer morning, the kind to make a man happy to be alive. And probably the man would have been happier to be alive. He was, in fact, dead. It would be hard to be deader without special training. smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post