A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Favourite opening line to a novel?

Post 21

Sho - unemployed again - Thanks Covid-19

'Art Mathews shot himself, loudly and messily, in the centre of the parade ring at Dunstable races.' - Nerve, Dick Francis

Post 22

EndangeredSpecies

I was going to say one as well gadarine, Oh the joys of Jane Austen smiley - biggrin

smiley - rainbowESsmiley - rainbow

Post 23

azahar

"It's hot as hell in Martirio, but the papers on the porch are icy with the news."

Vernon God Little - DBC Pierre

Just finished it this morning and want to read it all over again - brilliant!

az

Post 24

Random Mood

Death, in this forsaken place, could come in countless forms.
(Dan Brown, Deception Point)

Post 25

Random Mood

The drought had lasted now for ten million years, and the reign of the terrible lizards had long since ended. Here on the Equator, in the continent which would one day be known as Africa, the battle for existence had reached a new climax of ferocity, and the victor was not yet in sight.
Arthur C. Clarke, 2001 A Space Odyssey

Post 26

SnowWhite

What novel is that?

Post 27

Sho - unemployed again - Thanks Covid-19

it's from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Post 28

marnoult

"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again............"

Rebecca, Daphné Du Maurier, of course

Post 29

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Marley was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Scrooge signed it. And Scrooge's name was good upon 'Change, for anything he chose to put his hand to.

Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail.

Mind! I don't mean to say that I know, of my own knowledge, what there is particularly dead about a door-nail. I might have been inclined, myself, to regard a coffin-nail as the deadest piece of ironmongery in the trade. But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the simile; and my unhallowed hands shall not disturb it, or the Country's done for. You will therefore permit me to repeat, emphatically, that Marley was as dead as a door-nail.

smiley - tea

Post 30

Whisky

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..."

I can still remember reading that line as a 10 year old and then being carried away into a unique and spellbinding universe... One that still captures me over 25 years later.

Post 31

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

wow, many of the good ones are now already taken.

How about from the movies, "A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away..."
smiley - towelNerd42

Post 32

Beatrice

You are not the kind of guy who would be at a place like this at this time of the morning.

Bright Lights, Big City, by Jay McInerney

I love it cos it immediately lets you know that the whole book is written - highly unusually - in the second person.

Post 33

Wow, now that is really strange.

The only ones I've ever seen that are second person are the "Choose Your Own Adventure" series. They try to be, like, interactive by having you flip all over the place based on the choices you make on how you want the story to go. For kids mostly.

But you're saying there was a whole novel written like that? Cool! smiley - cool
smiley - towelNerd42

Post 34

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

"The Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legends fade to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the third age by some, an Age yet to come, an age long pass, a wind rose in the Mountains of Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning." - "The Eye of the World" - Robert Jordan.

Post 35

almaak - appalled by bad taste

i'm not so sure that this was exactly the opening line of the novel, but anyway - it is one of my favourite smiley - smiley

in my younger and more vulnerable years my father used to tell me: whenever you want to criticise somebody, just remember that not everyone have had the advantages in life that you've had.

i'm not sure that i quote it correct either, but i'm sure, that the idea is correct smiley - biggrin

Post 36

"MR. JONES, of the Manor Farm, had locked the hen-houses for the night, but was too drunk to remember to shut the popholes."
- Animal Farm by George Orwell.
smiley - towelNerd42

Post 37

Orcus

"The first time Yossarian sat the Chaplain he fell in love with him."

smiley - smiley

Catch 22 - Joseph Heller

Not my favourite book either - although close. I wonder how many of the above are the same. Your favourite opening line need not necessarily be from your favourite book.

Post 38

Orcus

or even saw the Chaplain smiley - laugh

...that made an interesting picture in my head though. smiley - yikes

Post 39

Marley was dead to begin with...
smiley - towelNerd42

Post 40

aka Bel - A87832164

If we are going to find the Skallagrigg we must start in 1927 with Eddie, though I had better say immediately that his real name was Arthur.

Skallagrigg, William Horwood

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more