Post 4

A Super Furry Animal

It was the day my grandmother exploded.

The Crow Road, Iain Banks

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Favourite opening line to a novel?

Post 5

Random Mood

Thank you, and please keep them coming! Here's a great one... 'It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way- in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.' A Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens) Please check out the following thread... http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/F2082048?thread=638918 Random Mood.

Post 6

HonestIago

Not really a novel but what the heck:
"Two houses both alike in dignity in fair Verona where we lay our scene. From ancient grudge break to new mutiny, where civil blood makes civil hands unclean. From forth the fatal loins of these two foes a pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life"
I love the way it reads, the clever puns and just everything about it

Post 7

Random Mood

Shakespeare's just fine! smiley - ok
(Romeo & Juliet, just in case someone was wondering)
smiley - cool Random Mood.

Post 8

azahar

"I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice - not because of his voice, or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother's death, but because he is the reason I believe in God; I am a Christian because of Owen Meaney."

A Prayer for Owen Meaney by John Irving

az

ps
one of many favourite opening lines . . .

Post 9

YalsonKSA - "I'm glad birthdays don't come round regularly, as I'm not sure I could do that too often."

"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold."

HST, 'Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas'.

You know it's going to be a good read with an opening like that. The other great one isn't strictly speaking a novel:

"I was rapidly running out of passports."

Howard Marks, 'Mr. Nice'.

smiley - biggrin

Post 10

gadarene

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."

Fantastic start to a truly wonderful novel, never fails to make me laugh.......

G

smiley - cool

Post 11

U168592

um, maybe a little obvious, but quite honestly this always gets me to thinking...

"Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant liitle blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea."

If I need to tell you, then maybe you'd prefer this one;

"day one - sometimes it feels like the whole world is smeared with Vaz." Vurt, Jeff Noon.

or for sheer class;

"It was love at first sight." Catch-22, Josef Heller.

and there's more. I read too much. Dammit all, I'm off to watch telly.
HF

Post 12

Skankyrich [?]

Don't do that; its Saturday night! Julian Clary being awful, or 80s pop stars being awful? The choice....is yours smiley - smiley

Post 13

U168592

I didn't say I was turning it on... smiley - winkeye

Post 14

Skankyrich [?]

Ah, I'm with you now... might watch a bit myself in that case. Lierally nothing on smiley - smiley

Post 15

Skankyrich [?]

In any case, the best opening line from any novel ever is from 'Metamorphosis', by Franz Kafka:

'As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect.'

smiley - cheers

Post 16

xcubeds

The Opening to the h2g2 novels. I don't care which ones since two of them are the same anyway. But they're all funny.

Post 17

Skankyrich [?]

Yes, but for sheer impact, you really can't beat Kafka smiley - smiley

Post 18

U168592

I've a nice vase of flowers on top of it too. Although I'm thinking of changing that for some potpourri, or a bowl of mice... smiley - smiley

"progris riport 1 martch 3 Dr Strauss says I should rite down what I think and remembir and evrey thing that happins to me from now on." Flowers for Algernon, Daniel Keyes.

Post 19

pedro

'An abandoned auto court in the San Berdoo foothills; Buzz Meeks checked in with ninety-four thousand dollars, eighteen pounds of high-grade heroin, a 10-gauge pump, a .38 special, a .45 automatic and a switchblade he'd bought off a pachuco at the border - right before he spotted the car parked across the line; Mickey Cohen goons in an LAPD unmarked, Tijuana cops standing by to bootjack a piece of his goodies, dump his body in the San Ysidro river.'

LA Confidential, by James Ellroy, surely one of the greatest crime novels ever.

Post 20

xcubeds

To any one who cares. I just made a Favorite literay quqtes thread. You can also put in movie and tv quotes if you really want to.

Key: Complain about this post