A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Do guys prefer curvy girls or no curves?

Post 121

aka Bel - A87832164

See, it works smiley - biggrin Although I think the ad aims at women, who are thought to buy their soap and whatnot. smiley - erm

Post 122

Shhhhh

true indeed - they were less skinny than normal

actually I kinda thought they were normal - as opposed to stick insects...like normal smiley - erm

old but true..............beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!!

smiley - sadface sorry

Post 123

Beatrice

Maybe I need to clarify - the usual models seen in ads etc ARE complete stick insects, and look nothing like the normal women you wil see down the pub, on the tube, in Sainsburys etc. And thus set very bad role modelds, lead to low self esteem , anorexia etc

Those gals in the Dove ads, I believe they are real gals, and you would meet their like in the supermarket etc. My boyfriend reckons they are well sexy, which reassures me that blokes find women who are NOT stick thin, air brushed, made up to the nines etc, and who still have soft curves....

...attractive!

And we normal girls can lose our paranoia about looking like a supermodel, and recognise that a smile and a willingness to appear semi naked on a 10ft high billboard is all it will take for your man to fall in love with you...

...erm maybe I've missed a point somewhere...smiley - erm

Post 124

liekki

Well, I've taken another look at the ad. I'd say *almost* all of them are curvier and heavier than regular models. Still, I'm not quite sure this is what most "real" women look like. There's definitely no trace of "flab" (was that the word?) there. Most women have some of that, so these models still form an exception.smiley - erm

I love the idea of an ad with "real women, real curves", but I was a bit disappointed when I saw their view of what's "real". I think they could've made even less skinny looking women look just as good, but lacked the guts to do it.

Post 125

Mrs Zen

I like the Dove ads - I think they've shown a woman with her masectomy scar. I like Dove products too, and always have.

Their "Campaign for Real Beauty" is here: www.dove.co.uk and well worth a look at. It may be cynical, but it is cynicism in a good cause. One thing that comes across strongly though is that beauty is from within, and that there is nothing as lovely as a smile.

Be warned though - it is all flash animations and not worth it on a dialup.

Xan - I'm amused at my domestic life making a Dane blink. smiley - evilgrin

One thing which I have discovered is that when crazed-with-lust, men don't actually notice cellulite. I have commented on being fussy about who gets to see my cellulite, and the two men I said it to said "but you don't have cellulite!" Bless....

Ben

Post 126

liekki

I liked their campaign with the old/freckled etc women - that was quite liberating.smiley - smiley It's just this skinny/curvy one that I'm a bit iffy on.

Post 127

liekki

Their site is a bit much for me, though.smiley - erm

Post 128

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

You never seem to see muscular women in ads, which makes me sulk for the purely selfish reason that I'm quite fond of muscular women.

smiley - ale

Post 129

Z

But there's always musclar woman in Diva?

Post 130

Is there? I must admit that's not a magazine I've read for a long time.

smiley - ale

Post 131

Z

Yup, or at least their was last time I brought it, which wasn't that recently. Actually musclar-ish.

In my group of lesbian friends the one girl who is generally thought to be the most attractive on the local scene is a very musclar lean sporty girl.

Don't men tend to like musclar women? Odd that.

I've always prefered curvy girls, but until I was 22 the only ones I seriously dated seemed to have eating disorders (two girl this is). Proper girls are much more fun, current squeeze isn't fat (by any means), but is certainly curvy smiley - drool.

You can go out for a meal without a panic attack, and I don't worry about breaking her in bed, and most importantly - she's got a lovely body that I can look at and think 'mmm' rather than 'that reminds me, I must donate those old clothes to Oxfam'.

Post 132

*snigger*. You do realise I'm going to shameless rip-off that line, don't you?

I don't think straight men *generally* go for muscular women, no. Maybe they feel threatened.

smiley - ale

do guys prefere curvey girls or no curves?

Post 133

montyonthebonty

Definitely Curvy!

Always a Bonus!

Post 134

Mrs Zen

smiley - laugh

One of my colleagues, (male, straight), who was interestingly enough a climber said that he had been following an ex girlfriend up a cliff and found himself completely mesmerised by the musculature of her shoulder as she hung on to the cliff-face.

He described it as the most erotic thing he'd ever seen.

Mind you, he was just about to marry someone else, so maybe - erotic or not - he did see it as a threat.

Ben
*who actually does have clothes to take to Oxfam this weekend*

Post 135

Z

I think so much of hetrosexuality sexuality is tied up with the man being stronger than the woman. Women tend to want big stronge men who can look after them, men like the idea of protecting their women.

A lot of men might feel threated by the idea of a woman who would have a better chance of fighting of a mugger than they would.

Post 136

Mrs Zen

I'm 5'5' or 5'6" depending on how tall I am feeling that day, and I am not particularly aware of a height difference with most of the blokes I spend time with.

I did go out with a bloke once who was 6'4", and when I was with him I felt dainty and feminine for the first time in my life. His son is 6'5" and wandering around with them was like being at the bottom of a well, and I have never felt so physically safe, before or since!

B

Post 137

Z, you've just reminded me of an incident in our local. Some idiot was getting his hair off at me, and 'im indoors just sat calmly on his barstool smoking a cigarette. One chap lent over and said "Aren't you going to help?". He just looked up and said "Nope, he'll probably survive.".

Although it's probably an unfair situation for comparison, as he is still a lot stronger than me. Thecurrent state of my left arm is witness to that. smiley - laugh

smiley - ale

Post 138

Alfster

The test for whether a man likes muscular women is to sit them down in front of the scene in Terminator 2 when Linda Hamilton(i.e. the Sarah Conner character) is stripping down a machine gun in the desert. The muscle definition on her arms and her general fitness was smiley - drool. If a bloke does not smiley - drool watching that scene they do not like muscular women.

She still had feminine features rather than square jawed type.

Possibly toned women is a better word to use and the best toned women I know of are all rowers.

Post 139

Serephina

i was recently referred to as 'snuggly'..am i wrong to feel an urge to never eat again?smiley - erm

Post 140

Shhhhh

smiley - biggrin

"snuggly"

keep with snuggly!!

smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post