A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Do you get this?

Post 1

The Groob

http://ask.metafilter.com/61671/The-things-you-say

If you get it you will definitely know what I'm talking about. If you don't get it there's no point in trying to explain it.

I have no idea how common it is but it is utterly pleasurable if you do!

Do you get this?

Post 2

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

I get it! I also remember getting when someone sitting next to me at school would borrow a rule or somesuch. I've never figured out what it's all about but it is a lovely feeling.

Do you get this?

Post 3

kuzushi

Yes. It's as if someone is pulling your head around with a string.

Do you get this?

Post 4

The Groob

I'm glad you know what I mean, Roy! As I say, if you do get it then you know what I mean straight away.

I'm not sure I get your drift KZ.

Here are the points from the discussion on the forum in the link that will hit the nail on the head if you "get it":

"I don't think it's anything distinct about the person, but I am fairly certain that it has to do with the way they speak"

"it only happens when the person is a stranger. I have never gotten this feeling talking to anyone I have known for some time. The effect seems to wear off after I've heard that person speak a lot (as in for more than a day)."

"It's the most wonderful tingling buzz sensation in the world"

"it has dissipated with age. I rarely experience it now and it is usually just a pale imitation of what it used to be like. I have no idea what it is/was but I'm happy someone else knows what I'm talking about."

"just some voices hit that "something" that sets off my warm fuzzy."

"Wow, interesting discussion; trying to put into words something for which there are no words."

"I kind of daze out a bit, totally relax, and feel kind of sleepy"

"I get this feeling when I am being examined or measured in some way -- e.g., at a physical, or a shoe store"

"I know exactly the sensation you're talking about and I always wondered if it happened to other people, too. I seem to remember it happening a lot more when I was a kid, especially when certain people read stories aloud"

Do you get this?

Post 5

Some of those are spot on. It absolutely used to happen more when I were a sprog. I rather miss it!

Do you get this?

Post 6

You can call me TC

I've never had it, but could it be related to your reaction to hypnosis? Some people are supposed to be more easily hypnotised than others, and if this reaction to certain voices is not experienced by everyone to the same degree, there may be a correlation?

Do you get this?

Post 7

The Groob

That's an interesting one. I've done a lot of googling but I've only found one reference to it - the link above.

I've a tenuous theory that it people who suffer from migraines are more likely to experience but that's purely guesswork. Are you prone to the 'big M' Roy?

I've found that I can kind of half-induce the state by re-running in my mind the occasions I've felt it. It's great for getting me to drop off at night.

Do you get this?

Post 8

I have had migraines in the past but they've always been directly stress related, I don't suffer from them usually.

I too have managed a slight recreation, but it ain't the same.

Do you get this?

Post 9

IctoanAWEWawi

wow, yes, I get it.
less frequently as I get older though. It really is weird and very calming I find.

Do you get this?

Post 10

Menthol Penguin - Currently revising/editing my book

Now i'm jealous! What does it mean if you don't get it? You have a thick skull?smiley - winkeye

Do you get this?

Post 11

The Groob

I'm not sure. But I get the 'Alice in Wonderland' thing sometimes when my hands feel enormous and the room flips between feeling enormous and feeling small. I wonder if the two are related?

Do you get this?

Post 12

IctoanAWEWawi

Was thinking further about this. It isn't the voice, as such, for me. Part of it is when someone gives undivided attention to me. Like someone who is genuinly interested in what you have to say. Usually I find it is someone who is quite gentle in their conversational approach.

First time I really remember it was the head teacher at my primary school when I was leaving. there were only 30 kids in the whole school so me and my siblings leaving dropped the numbers by 10%! Anyway, he did a spontaneous palm reading on me and pretended to work out where I was going. I knew it was faked but whilst he was doing it I got that feeling. Really strong to the point where I found it difficult to respond I was just warm and fuzzy.

Other times have been in all sorts of different places. It doesn't have to be someone new for me though.

Oh, and re: earlier stuff. No, I do not get migaines. Not normally nayway. Prob only a couple in my whole life and they have been purely visual ones with no pain associated and usually due to exposure to extremely bright light.

Do you get this?

Post 13

The Groob

This is quite big now and is being researched. I use ASMR vids to help me sleep.

Key: Complain about this post