A Conversation for Ask h2g2

"What news story has caught your attention today?" thread

Post 17861

Baron Grim

This is a new report.

Post 17862

swl

Sorry it's not a new report, it's a report made at the time by a diplomat that has only just been declassified. There isn't a single verifiable direct fact in it.

"The ambassador said his account of the massacre of the night of 3-4 June was based on information from a source who had spoken to a “good friend” in China’s State Council, effectively its ruling cabinet."

A friend of a friend told me.

Seriously?

Post 17863

Baron Grim

Fine... smiley - sigh

Post 17864

Bluebottle

Where does the North start?smiley - headhurts
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/a-quarter-of-english-adults-see-the-midlands-as-part-of-the-north-a3732846.html
I reckon that only 3% are right, who have correctly identified that England's only north/south divide visible from space is the Solent. Inexplicably the Isle of Wight isn't showing as its own region?smiley - huh

<BB<

Post 17865

Icy North

When will people realise that the North/South divide isn't geographical. It's purely to do with accents. Nobody wants Birmingham on their side.

Post 17866

Cheerful Dragon

As a Warwickshire lass who has worked in Birmingham, I object to that remark. OK, so the Brummie accent is one of the least liked, but Brummies themselves are nice enough people, and friendlier than people from other regions I could name.

Post 17867

Icy North

Yes, they are nice people. I used to live there myself and have many Brummie friends.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more