A Conversation for Ask h2g2

"What news story has caught your attention today?" thread

Post 17361

hammondorgan

I'm that sharp I'll cut myself as my old mum used to say, I was thinking of the Peter Principle of course, but both, even if slightly tongue in cheek are perfectly applicable to the current chaotic situation in health and social care, thank you for your interest I loved the Parkinson article, not sure I ever understood it before!

Post 17362

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

That is the 'Peter Principal' http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/peter-principle.asp

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 17363

Baron Grim

Someone (come on! Fess up. Which of you is it!?) just bought the original animation cel of The Babelfish Graphic from the BBC TV show.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/H2G2-AW-108-Hitch-Hikers-Guide-to-the-Galaxy-/291675064888?nma=true&si=pxlynekcXb45H9XSKD3LRFmY7IE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

£2303.00 Cheap!

smiley - hsifsmiley - towelsmiley - fish

Post 17364

Cool Old Guy (ex-SockPuppet) Trying not to post for the next 200 days !

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/02/160210-einstein-right-gravitational-waves-science/

Cool old Guy smiley - cogs imagining being passed by a wave
"Gravity waves detected at the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory. They saw a faint whooping from low to high on the screen.

That was last September smiley - biggrin The two LIGO detectors measured one after the other the tiny wave. (1900 miles appart, some 3000km)

The estimate is that two black holes collided 1.500 000 000 years ago. "

Post 17365

Baron Grim

Following on from the Babelfish, this week you can buy the head of Zaphod Beeblebrox (Sam Rockwell).

http://www.propstore.com/product/hitchhikers-guide-to-the-galaxy-the-2005/zaphod-beeblebrox-sam-rockwell-silcone-head/

smiley - towelsmiley - pggbsmiley - oksmiley - dontpanic

Post 17366

hammondorgan

Tesco's are going to stop selling curved croissants! Apparently people prefer a straight croissant because they can spread more gunk on it, rendering the already deadly confectionary even more disgusting. The BBC say that the word 'croissant' means crescent, they're supposed to be curved. I wonder if Mr Cameron could get this thrashed out while he's so nobly fighting Britain's quarter in Europe?

Post 17367

Icy North

Maybe they should be cross-shaped in Christendom?

Post 17368

Recumbentman

I heard once or read somewhere that they were invented when Vienna was besieged by the Ottomans. They liked the idea of eating their attackers' crescent symbol.

Post 17369

hammondorgan

We've got Bath buns, Chelsea buns, the wonderful lardy cake, teacakes in Geordieland are like stotties with currants in, there must be loads more, and of course hot cross buns, (currantly available, see what I did there!) I'm not anti French, or even anti-Austrian, or anti Islam, but why can't we leave things alone? Dough nut disturb, I think that's a good motto.

Post 17370

hammondorgan

And would eating your attackers crescent be an early form of street food?

Post 17371

hammondorgan

How can the Mayor of what we proudly believe to be the most cosmopolitan city on Earth be wanting us to leave Europe? The man really is a sick joke I'm annoyed with myself for even taking him seriously, but Lord help us, our totally cynical PM got us into this mess, he only offered a referendum to appease the Ukip morons and placate his own Little Englander Tories to win the election and now Cameron's really running scared, what an awful man he is.

Post 17372

Pink Paisley

Because he sees himself as a cult figure (encouraged by The Media) and relishes attention above common sense.

His whole image is geared towards this. He is a bumbling, eccentric good old traditionalist Jolly Good Egg. Or so he would have us believe.

PP.

Post 17373

hammondorgan

Oh there's been a huge explosion at Didcot Power Station, we've got a big smoke cloud overhead, we only live about 6 miles away. I've got to say the local coverage is amazing, video already posted online and of course tragically there appears to be one death and other casualties. This was only a few minutes ago.

Post 17374

hammondorgan

Can anyone make head nor tail of the Tony Blackburn sacking by the Beeb? Not that I've got any real sympathy for Tony he's been a pain for years, it just seems that Saville and Hall were allowed to work on for decades when just about everyone at the Beeb knew what the evil so and so's were up to, Blackburn hasn't committed any crime whatever as far as we have been informed, seems stupid. (Mind you the album of Tamla Motown covers that Tony made in the 60's was as near criminal as you could get!!!!) I'm truly appalled that the family and friends of the poor lass at the centre of the story are having to go through all this, I wonder if anyone gave any thought to their feelings?

Post 17375

hammondorgan

The Observer today reports that a ticket for Adele's next tour could cost you £24,000! Honestly! I know it's not the lass's fault, she's railed against touts for years, I play for nowt at my local folk club, free entry, I may not be great but no rip-off merchant's getting rich off my back! Anyway I'd like to hear Adele singing 'I Walk the Line' as deep as me. (I do think she's terrific for the record.)

Post 17376

Pink Paisley

Anyone that actually PARTS with that sort of money needs their head looked at.

And I can only imagine that Tony Blackburn was less than forthcoming with nothing to hide personally.

PP.

Post 17377

hammondorgan

I can't imagine it's that simple PP, new stuff is coming out every day, this inquiry has ben useless, hasn't scratched the surface. It seems that any kid who went to a Top of the Pops recording. Was regarded as fair game by everyone, funny enough I knew kids at the time who were 'tapped up' to go on TOTP, they would have done anything to get on there, just impressionable kids. DJ's were like kids in a sweetshop, generally talentless public schoolboys who couldn't believe their luck, I suppose Saville was quite untypical in that respect. But I can think of three others that have been implicated in dodgy exploitative behaviour. Tony Blackburn, as far as we know never was. Funny enough I heard Mike Read being interviewed on radio yesterday, surely the naffest DJ of all time, (he won the NME award for worst DJ for years on end), and according to him Top of the Pops was like a youth club meeting, nobody knew what was going on, I,m not suggesting Read was involved in any way, but he didn't know what was happening when Saville was assaulting kids on live TV? Come off it.

Post 17378

hammondorgan

NHS England are going to get involved in designing 'Healthy Towns' according to the Times today. Well the track record of NHS management really makes them the ideal choice, I mean look at our wonderful hospitals, I had to look at the date but it's not April Fools day yet. I hope it works a bit better than NHS direct, I wonder if there's a waiting list for places?

Post 17379

Bluebottle

Their definition of 'Healthy Town' seems to be 'no fast food restaurants next to schools, but they're allowed everywhere else'.

<BB<

Post 17380

logicus tracticus philosophicus

Eh What dam cheek.... http://www.cleanforthequeen.co.uk/ what with cutting all the services budget cuts to save cash, removal of litter bins cos the cant employ the statff to empty them, like closing down all the public toilets and wonder why all the shop doorways are smelly seems these day those who "run the country" in brackets because feel it should read are running it down rather than run. well I'll go to the foot of ma stairs...no way should we fall for this crap.....

Key: Complain about this post