A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What news story has caught your attention today.

Post 17081

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

I would think it is against EU privacy laws. THe UK already has so many CC cameras, they seem to be as paranoid as the some elements in the US----fascism is much more dangerous then terrorists and can be a lot more insidious----stop electing the lunatic fringe. We are still trying to get rid of the Patriot Act here. The US police forces kill a lot more Americans than ISIS or other terrorist do! Don't go there.

Post 17082

logicus tracticus philosophicus

Therein, David Cameron is quoted as saying the following:

“In our country, do we want to allow a means of communication between people which we cannot read?

“My answer to that question is: ‘No, we must not’." .....

So how soon before all our letters are opened and read in transit

Post 17083

Xanatic

I'd imagine you can probably use infrared to read a letter without opening it.

Post 17084

swl

'Murica pfft - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33541109-

Post 17085

Baron Grim

Fixed URL: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33541109

I am not surprised this is a thing in Portland from what I've read about the town. Chuck Palahniuk of Fight Club fame wrote sort of a travelogue about the sex clubs in Portland.

It's just a local variant of the ubiquitous sneakers tossed over power lines across the rest of the country.

Post 17086

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Fair warning, this is not a happy link, but it fits the subject.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/police-gator-attacks-dog-in-hillsborough-river/2237123

People need to keep their dogs under controlsmiley - sorry

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 17087

hammondorgan

I'm really sad to hear about the death of young Bianchi, the BBC reports that he is the first F1 driver to be killed since Senna in 1994, which is pretty remarkable I suppose, but I always think that F1 is literally 'an accident waiting to happen', we've seen terrifying multi-car accidents in recent years and it's surely pure good fortune that there hasn't been more deaths, personally I can't stand the 'sport', the obscene payments made to drivers, incredibly skilled no doubt, but the sexing up of the F1 brand, (including incredibly huge amounts of alcohol advertising/sponsorship) which is surely sending the wrong message to everyone else when speeding and drink-driving is a national plague that is killing people daily on our roads. Anyways God bless the young man.

Post 17088

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

The video showing the smiley - surfer being attacked by a smiley - shark in South Africa - why do TV newsreaders think this is so funny? smiley - huhLast night a BBC newsreader said at the end of the clip "I think he needs a bigger surfboard" followed by a broad grin. This morning's newsreaders are just as bad. Showed the whole video then laughed and joked with each other about never going in the sea again.

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - puff

Post 17089

quotes

I saw the clip without the newsreader, and the surfer was clearly traumatised, with his head in his hands.

I have noticed that certain 'bad' things get laughed at in the media, when other equally bad, similar things have to be treated solemnly. This is especially true when anyone on TV jokes about drinking heavily and having a hangover. They never use a jocular tone about any other drug-use.

Post 17090

hammondorgan

I reckon the surfer might have been quite relieved to have his head in his hands! Indeed, glad to have hands!

Post 17091

hammondorgan

Which brings us to our goose stepping Hitler saluting royal family, didn't one of them turn up at a fancy dress uniform in a Nazi uniform fairly recently? They know how to have fun and maintain their family traditions!

Post 17092

hammondorgan

sorry, party.

Post 17093

Pastey

Like they were the first, last and only person to go to a fancy dress party in a Nazi uniform. Didn't see the papers campaigning to have the sales of the fancy dress uniforms stopped.

Easy targets, non-news.

Post 17094

hammondorgan

Pastey, Several reputable historians and legal experts maintain ex King Edward was absolutely indictable for treachery, there's been a huge establishment cover up ever since, and there is footage of him teaching his nieces, one our future Queen, to give Nazi salutes, would the Queen mum have been able to 'look the people of the East End in the eye' if her behaviour had been public knowledge at the time? How can they be easy targets when it's taken 80 years for this stuff to emerge, and then they express 'disappointment' and contemplate legal action, of course it's newsworthy, that's why it's been front page news for two days, and if you can't see the stupidity of a spoilt immature prince dressing himself up as an SS man as something we should all be aware of you're missing something yourself.

Post 17095

swl

What's that? Edward was a Nazi sympathiser? You don't say?

What news of Mafeking?

Post 17096

hammondorgan

Oh no he wasn't, and it's been relieved.

Post 17097

ex King Edward was absolutely indictable for treachery....
A grey area there given meaning of treachery," Several other reputable historians and legal experts would maintain" he was loyal to his family, and could say the Queen mother committed treachery in allowing Britain to fight the Germans...

As for " his nieces, one our future Queen, to give Nazi salutes" given that some of their relations were Nazis they would expect to be greeted with such formalities, plus at the time of these pictures there was not the "repulsion" attached to such greetings as there is today..

As far as I'm concerned like a lot of stuff we see in the "papers" now its got very little use other than to avert attention from more relevant news as you stated it it took 80 years to surface "80 year old chip paper"

Post 17098

ex King Edward was absolutely indictable for treachery....
A grey area there given meaning of treachery," Several other reputable historians and legal experts would maintain" he was loyal to his family, and could say the Queen mother committed treachery in allowing Britain to fight the Germans...

As for " his nieces, one our future Queen, to give Nazi salutes" given that some of their relations were Nazis they would expect to be greeted with such formalities, plus at the time of these pictures there was not the "repulsion" attached to such greetings as there is today..

As far as I'm concerned like a lot of stuff we see in the "papers" now its got very little use other than to avert attention from more relevant news as you stated it it took 80 years to surface "80 year old chip paper"

What news of Mafeking? it been relieved

Post 17099

Recumbentman

http://newsthump.com/2015/05/14/tories-accidentally-ban-themselves-under-new-anti-extremism-laws/

Yes it's satire but it's good satire.

Post 17100

Bald Bloke

It makes the point...

Key: Complain about this post