A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What news story has caught your attention today.

Post 16141

Baron Grim

I found this article to be quite enlightening.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ali-a-rizvi/post_8056_b_5602701.html

7 Things to Consider Before Choosing Sides in the Middle East Conflict

Post 16142

tucuxii

Straw man arguments, begging the question misquoting the Quran and Torah - not very helpful, and what if your side is the innocents rather than psychopathic creeps like the Hamas leadership and Netanyahu

Post 16143

tucuxii

Maria got it right

<>

The Palestinian people need a viable state not a Warsaw style ghetto like Gaza and a series of apartheid style Bantustans in the West Bank.

The cause is just but Hamas' tactics and rhetoric are counterproductive and costing lives they should learn from the first infantada and the tactics used against apartheid and those used by Gandhi then the world would see the true natural of the brutal land grab being committed in the West Bank and the Israeli government would run out of excuses and have to negotiate,

Israel should learn from Northern Ireland (hundreds of years of religious hatred three decades of bombs) and south Africa (religiously based intolerance and repression) In both cases government brutality, torture, mass arrest just made things worse and neither government went to such extremes as Israel (imagine if Britain had invaded the Irish Republic in 1974, shelled Dublin for a week killing 10, 000 and let Unionist thugs into undefended refugee camps to massacre women and children as Israel did in Beirut). In south Africa and Northern Ireland listening, talking, reconciliation and accepting help and advice from allies brought about peace.

Post 16144

Baron Grim

"When elephants battle the ants perish." - Cambodian Proverb

Post 16145

Recumbentman

Come on folks; it's not hard to go and find the context Dawkins brought up the taboos of rape and pedophilia in: the Gaza situation.

Why jump to the conclusion that he was recommending leniency for something he said 'is bad'? He wasn't.

Nor was he particularly courting publicity. That just follows him round like a cat's tail.

http://bit.ly/1nTDE1c

Post 16146

Baron Grim

Thanks, Recumbentman. That was a good read.

I know there are quite a few "no-go/taboo" zones around here, that's for sure.

Post 16147

Maria

he wrote the tweets , then he wrote the explanation and gave a context after the storm. just as usual. Gaza is not the reason of the tweets. he had something on his mind, tweeted, and then elaborated a long , and boring, explanation to justify those tweets.

from what he says in that text, He and many more keep ignoring that Israel seeks the complete aniquilation of Palestinians. A deputy even wrote about that recently. Hamas is not the only nut party in this madness.

The UN and Palestinian organizations are asking Israel to go back to the agreements of 1967. Israel of course don´t want that. They are about to achieve the total control of the área, rich in gas, quel surprise, and of high geoestrategic importance, waves at US.

It´s clear who are the victims here, and who the criminals who are slaughering innocent civilians. I understand that lazyness is a reason why people keep on blaming the victims instead of moving their finger on the mouse and look for social media information.

you can start with doctors without borders, electronic intifada, mondoweis, palestine literature festival, realnews... or visit my ps, I´ve left a few links on this issue.

I dont see any taboo to enter a rational discussion here, but deep ignorance fuelled by biased and all mighty mainstream media.

Post 16148

Baron Grim

smiley - sigh

Post 16149

ITIWBS

...perhaps a UN declaration to both Israel and Palestine that the world wants them to learn to live in peace might help...

Post 16150

Baron Grim

Well, the Pope is on it, so it should clear up any day now.

Post 16151

ITIWBS

...pity Nelson Mandela can no longer be called upon to support the effort...

Post 16152

quotes

Can someone please explain the case to be made against Dawkins regarding this 'degrees of rape' argument? Why, in the opponents' opinion, is he wrong?

Post 16153

Maria

ITIWBS:
"...perhaps a UN declaration to both Israel and Palestine that the world wants them to learn to live in peace might help..."

the list of bans and resolutions the UN has against Israel is endless, all of them ignored. Perhaps, if the international community had moral courage, they would decide to sanction the govt of Israel and things could change.

UN has started to say something now about naughty Israel, since several schools have beem bombed, children and women were living there, well , living is just a way of speaking.

Yesterday they bombed the only electrical site in Gaza, a bit of colour to this inferno, isn´t it?

The press is attacked and killed, not just the office of Aljazeera, yesterday a northamerican journalist, was killed despite he was clearly identify as Press.

Paramedics and ambulances, the few wells of water not contaminated by the Israeli govt. and absolutely everything is been killed,bombarded... exterminated, because this is what Israel wants.

Hamas was created time ago by the MOSSAD,(then it went out of hand, just as Talibans in Afganistan by the CIA) the aim was clear as clear as now Israel do not want peace, not agreements at all, they are pursuing their zionist dream.

Palestinians,( Hamas is a few palestinians not the whole people and not the only ones who are trying to solve this and in a peaceful way)
can´t not be compared to Israel in this war, as Chomsky says, a powerful army killing unarmed people can´t not be called war but murder.

Finally, even mainstream media has acknowleged that the killing of those israeli teenagers wasn´t done by Hamas, Israeli govt. knew, but... they don´t need Hamas nor any killing to smash a sieged population which is resisting, the very existence of Palestinians is all they need to kill wildly.

Why people need a rational discussion to take the "accurate" side in this genocide puzzles me. I thought you only needed to be human, nor antisemitic or pro Hamas.

Post 16154

swl

It's not genocide.

Post 16155

ITIWBS

Maria, I've long been of the opinion myself that Israel would be wiser to play to Aljazeera rather than treating them as a military target.

The real hell of it is that with both sides in the conflict, the moderates are in more danger from their own extremists than they are from the opposing side.

The politics of that part of the middle east have perrenially been dominated by the paradoxical emotive reactions characteristic of histrionic outlook, on both sides of the political field.

Post 16156

Recumbentman

The most reasonable voice I have heard is saying that both sides are committing war crimes. How to stop them? Shouldn't be impossible, but there is not a lot of obvious effort from world governments.

As for Dawkins, yes; he started up the taboos theme after the Gaza theme, but it did arise from it.

The question he asks is, Are there questions that may not be discussed?

Or, Why are you observing taboos?

The upshot, as I see it, is that just as not everyone has a good head for heights, not everyone has a good head for the unthinkable.

I think the analogy is good. It has nothing to do with intelligence, but more to do with queasiness. Just as a perfectly stable walker will avoid the edge of a cliff, for fear of losing balance, perhaps from dizziness, while another will calmly walk up and look over -- in the same way a perfectly logical person will shy away from certain topics, as though fearing that a step towards considering the unthinkable is (or could be seen as) a step towards doing it.

Post 16157

Maria

This a letter written yesterday by a US ex politician. It´s addressed to the Congress, a few paragraphs:

In 2006, Congress passed S. 2370, which in Section 9 established conditions which Hamas must meet in order for the US to negotiate with it:

(1) Recognize Israel's right to exist.
(2) Renounce aggression.
(3) Dismantle the infrastructure used to carry out attacks against Israel.
(4) Accept previous agreements between Israel and the Palestinian Authority.

A new Palestinian national unity government, announced on June 2, 2014, accepted those identical conditions. However, ambiguity about Hamas' role in the new unity government has led the media and some members of Congress to assume that the United States remains barred from negotiation with Hamas.

::

In Gaza, civilian deaths in a situation of apartheid occupation, characterized by complete power asymmetry, can be described as a crime against humanity. As of today, over 1,262 Palestinians, and three Israelis have lost their lives. More than 240 Palestinian children have been killed. In the early hours of this morning, while a ceasefire was being negotiated, Israel hit a UN girls' school, killing 20 refugees.

The US, given its longstanding support of Israel and its $3.2 billion annual aid ($8.5 million per day, $114 billion since 1949), including provision of military weapons, is in a singular position to put an end to the slaughter through openly entering into negotiations with Hamas.

Any negotiations must countenance, among other essential points, the concerns of Palestinians that Israel equally recognize the Palestinians' right to exist and to live free of forced poverty and ill health; end the occupation; stop the blockade; end the boycott; cease the illegal settlement building and secure Palestinian rights to their own land and to their natural resources such as water and natural gas supplies.

At this critical moment in world history, America must have the ability and the willingness to negotiate in service of the cause of peace and security, for our allies and their neighbors. The US can and must directly mediate an end to this violence.

Post 16158

Maria

the link:

http://www.filmsforaction.org/takeaction/we-can-negotiate-peace-in-gaza-heres-how/

Post 16159

tucuxii

The situation in Gaza highlights a deep flaw in the UN - that the five permanent members of the security council can veto the will of the rest of the international community and all do so cynically to protect their pet monsters. In the case of Israel the US consistently vetoes any criticism of Israel or any action that would cause Israel to enter negotiations in good faith.
In the same way the four other guardians of international law have propped up and protected some of foulest regimes in the world. Some of the worst crimes against humanity and nastiest conflicts in recent have years been perpetuated because of such vetoes. Burma (France) Saudi and the Gulf states (UK) Zimbabwe Iran and Sudan (China), the Balkans, Chechnya, Syria, Ukraine (Russia).

Post 16160

Baron Grim

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-07/31/nasa-validates-impossible-space-drive

NASA validates "impossible" space drive

"NASA is a major player in space science, so when a team from the agency this week presents evidence that "impossible" microwave thrusters seem to work, something strange is definitely going on. Either the results are completely wrong, or NASA has confirmed a major breakthrough in space propulsion."

I can't imagine any mechanism that may explain the observed thrust that the NASA engineers wouldn't have compensated for like static electricity, air currents, or magnetic attraction. I don't know enough about the device or the physics involved, but I remain skeptical. That said, I do hope this turns out to be valid.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more