A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What film have you seen recently?

Post 5961

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

I don't know if all the folks here have either:-

a) A Reel Cinema
b) Smart Phones.

But if you have both then download the Voucher CLoud app and sign up for their service. You get full adult cinema tickets for £3.20 on Tuesdays and Thursdays all day (a bit more for 3D, though why you owuld want to watch films in 3D I dont know.).

£3.20 to see a film at the flicks is a bargain if oyu arkse me!

FB

Post 5962

You can call me TC

Mark Kermode has been quoted lots on here. Often by me. I love listening, even if I don't have the chance to see lots of the films they talk about.

Thoroughly recommend the podcast.

Hello Jason Isaacs, Fairport Convention and Benjamin Sniddlegrass.

Post 5963

Xanatic

I just watched The Core, one of the few movies to properly show how cool and awesome geologists really are. I knew going in that it had some of the worst science of any Hollywood blockbuster, so that didn´t bother me too much. It was an enjoyable enough movie, but certainly no Armageddon.

Post 5964

Hanna

I liked it but it doesn't quite work there were three main "threads" A sort of kick ass child assasin film, a coming of age movie and a fairy tale allegory film. Frequently at different points all three work, but not enough to make the whole film work if oyu ask me.

Worth watching if you can get a cheap ticket.

FB

Post 5965

a visitor to planet earth

Day of the Jackal, the original, still a very good film, 38 years old.

Post 5966

Deadangel - Still not dead, just!

"It is about £25 a ticket mind, which is a bit over the top..."

That's not steep, that's effing Veritical!

With apologies to all non "Bottom" fans. smiley - tongueout

Post 5967

Orcus

Well it appears booking in advance appears to be the vertical bit.

I was Thor last night in the old iMax 3D and it was about £11 a ticket. Still steep but then the standard tickets were £8 so I wasn't that bothered by the mark up and it allowed us time to get some eaties in beforehand.

Enjoyed it, a good spectacle and good fun film. Slightly underwhelmed but then it isn't supposed to be Schindler's List so hey ho.

The old imax 3D gave me pause for thought though. It seems at its most impressive during trailers and in the introductory bit where they go - 'hey, you're watching imax 3D' - during the actual film its rather less impressive except during the opening and closing sequences (and I mean closing - not the final actual scenes, more the bit where they fly through the nebulae in space as they head towards the credits).
Sometimes, especially in one on one acting scenes (e.g. Thor talking to his father mono et mono) it reminded me of Captain Pugwash as it was back in my day when it was moving cardboard cutouts against a still background.

But, it can be awesome to look at at times. Why would anyone want to see a film in 3D? Well, I can well imagine people said why bother going to a film with sound or with colour back in the day. If I just want to see a film, I'll watch it on telly. I pay a premium at the cinema to get the big picture and the big effects so I might as well get as much of the eye popping new technology as possible.

Post 5968

Anyone seen "Attack the Block" yet. I am umming and ahhing about going tonight and need to take the decision in the next 20 minutes.

PROs

I really want to see it.
I am bored with nothing to do.
Busy rest of week and next week so could be last chance to see it at the flicks.

CONs

Evening showing could be rammed with teenachers.
Would have to go on my own.
Only showing at the multiplex so ticket will cost best part of a tenner.

Ooh decisions, decisions.

FB

Post 5969

HonestIago

Tuesday nights are usually the quietest in cinemas so you shouldn't have too many teenachers. I quite like going the cinema alone every so often, bit of an indulgence.

Post 5970

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Hanna.

A bit gory, not a date-night film. Genetically-engineered girl on the run from killers - lots and lots of dead bodies, some deserved, but some innocents sacrificed, which really annoyed me. Left a bad taste, not recommended.

Post 5971

A fair few teenachers there. But they were pretty quiet once the film had started so I can forgive that!

Lots of innocents die in Attack the Block so maybe Galaxy Babe should give it a miss based on the hanna review.

But for everyone else do go and see the movie. it is class.

Innit Bruv.

FB

Post 5972

You can call me TC

I'll be interested to see if it comes out in Germany - it's not like Joe Cornish is a household name here.

Post 5973

I do wonder how it will go down outside the English speaking world (in fact the UK TBH) a helluva lot of how the film is strutured and paced revolves around London "Yoof culture" and the way that they speak. I still think the film works on other levels but I imagine there are people who live in the UK, even in London, who will be baffled by the way the characters talk. I wonder how it will be for people listening in a second or third language?

Still I thought it was a cracker.

You get me?

FB

Post 5974

Yep, I think I'll skip that onesmiley - ok Txt-spk still does my head insmiley - headhurts

Post 5975

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

I watched Skyline the other day. Oh dear, 94 mins of my life I won't get back. It just never seemed to get going and it was impossible to care about anybody in it. Avoid.

Post 5976

Pit - ( Carpe Diem - Stay in Bed )

GB, txt-spk does to culture what the plague did to the populace.

Post 5977

Yelbakk

Saw "My Name is Khan" the other day. Bollywood without dances and songs. Still, all the exaggeration, melodrama, drama and commedy one could hope for. 155 minutes well spent, actually. (Plus, the Indian meal that the Lady of the Mice prepared for us was really really good.)

Y.

Post 5978

...off to see Thor this morning, in 3D

smiley - run

Post 5979

smiley - run...well, that ticked every box for mesmiley - biggrin

Post 5980

Mol - on the new tablet

Husband, daughter (14) and son (8) saw POTC 4 in 3D at the weekend and report that it was brilliant.

So doubtless it will have the same effect on me as the first three, ie send me off into a doze.

Mol

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more