A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Public Enemies

Post 4881

psychocandy - Moderation Team Leader

Re: Clive's earlier posting about "Watchmen"...

I purchased the Director's Cut last month, and inside the case was a notice regarding the "Ultimate Collector's Edition", which is indeed the 5-disc set. Apparently for this version they've woven the "Tales From the Black Freighter" back into the Director's Cut of the film. It's due for release in the US in December. Not sure as to release details elsewhere.

I'm actually a bit annoyed that I've bought the Director's Cut already, as I would have probably preferred the other version. Them's the breaks.

Public Enemies

Post 4882

Sho - gainfully employed again

Not really "them's the breaks" more like cynical bad marketing by the DVD makers to get you to buy it again and again and again... smiley - cross

I've just watched Miss Pettigrew's Great Day (or whatever it's called in English. I liked it, especially the look of it.

Public Enemies

Post 4883

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Cheers PC.

Guess I'll hang on then. Thanks for salutary warning. smiley - ok

Public Enemies

Post 4884

psychocandy - Moderation Team Leader

No problem! I'm probably not going to purchase that additional set, having seen the "Tales From the Black Freighter" and "Under the Hood" segments separately. I'm fine with the film as is. If I hadn't bought it already, though, it'd be pretty cool to see it as a single film.

Public Enemies

Post 4885

coelacanth

(500) Days of Summer on a preview screening.

Nice film, clever observations and the audience laughs were ones of recognition at some of the events. Not a "rom com" in the traditional sense, but the story of a relationship told in an interesting format.
smiley - bluefish

Public Enemies

Post 4886

a visitor to planet earth

Shadow of the Vampire, quite good.

Public Enemies

Post 4887

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Just seen "Xmen Origins" and it really is one of the worst films I have ever seen.... what a frigging waste of time...

FB

Public Enemies

Post 4888

HonestIago

I did try and warn you...

Public Enemies

Post 4889

Indeed, I shall listen next time duder...

And I think it has outstripped the gozilla remake insofar as films that are just dreadful, but not even so bad they are good....

Shame really as I quite liked the first two X-Men films.

FB

Public Enemies

Post 4890

HonestIago

I just had a look back in this thread to see what I said about Origins when I saw it, and I said exactly what you've just said.

X-Men 1 and X-Men 2 were the standard other comic books films should be judged by: clever, thrilling and well-acted. But then 3 came along:

Jean Grey - talented but conflicted. Too powerful perhaps? Get rid of that, make her this insane powerhouse who did look hot.

Magneto - subtle, controlled genius. Lots of grey areas and compelling back story. Get rid of that, let's make him a supervillain clone and lose all subtlety.

Mystique - brilliant, witty and fun to watch, sexy enough to make a gay fella question himself. Get rid of that, get rid of her altogether.

Nightcrawler - sympathetic, good allegory and truly heroic. Get rid of that, it's a bit too gay.

I've never seen such a precipitous drop in quality between two films. It'd be like the Dark Knight being followed by Batman and Robin.

Public Enemies

Post 4891

Well I wonder if it is to do with marvel getting control of their own studio and now producing their films themselves? Perhaps having "non comic" people was a good influence on their movies?

On the other hand I thought "Ironman" was fun and that was done by Marvel on their own...

But yeah onto the substance of your point, that nails it. Subtlety and Grey areas are absolutely needed in this kinda movie. Had they made Striker a conflicted, but kinda decent fellah who gradually turned into the chap we met in X-Men2 then the iflm would have been so much better....

Oh well....

I really hope they don't do the Magneto orgins story now....

FB

Public Enemies

Post 4892

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499519/

Oh well....

FB

Public Enemies

Post 4893

Oh and Why kill off "Deadpool" who is a cool character?

Further how criminally did they under use gambit?

Arrggghhhh.... phooey! I'm not going waste any more effort being p*ssed off about this film.

FB

Public Enemies

Post 4894

Something to do also, I venture to suggest, with the handover from Bryan Singer director of Usual Suspects and Apt Pupil amongst other things to Brett Ratner who despite having the rather good 'Red Dragon' on his C.V is also responsible - and I use the term in it's fullest accusatory sense - for Chris Rock and Rush Hours 1 through 3.

Public Enemies

Post 4895

Damn. I meant Chris Tucker.

Public Enemies

Post 4896

pedro

Saw No Country For Old Men during the week. I really enjoyed it, although the impression it left me with was more of an elegy for past times than a thriller. Good stuff though.smiley - smiley

Public Enemies

Post 4897

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Skipping the backlog, I don't know if anyone's mentioned Outlander. Vikings, dragons, Vikings, aliens, Vikings smiley - magic

Did I mention the Vikings?

Public Enemies

Post 4898

Beatrice

Um, back to the mundane - saw Bandslam with daughter and her bf. It's sort of HSM meets School of Rock, only without the laughs. Pretty cool soundtrack, and the David Bowie moment is rather superb.

Time Travel

Post 4899

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I just watched The Time Traveler's Wife.

smiley - wah

The best film I've seen all yearsmiley - ok

Time Travel

Post 4900

Elentari

Have you read the book, GB? If not, do.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more