A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Public Enemies

Post 4841

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

It was a gangster movie, quite graphic. I enjoyed it, but don't get the impression it was a chick flick. I would recommend it to allsmiley - ok

Public Enemies

Post 4842

Elentari

GB - "Johnny Depp's one of the best actors of his generation."

Whatever - we all know why you really went! smiley - drool

Public Enemies

Post 4843

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I meant "besides" the fact that he's the most gorgeous man on the planetsmiley - drool

smiley - winkeye

Public Enemies

Post 4844

Mistadrong, (Count vonCount.)the last Gog standing

Re. previous discussions of movies worth watching.
Casablanca does it for me,
not so much for Bogey etc but for Sydney Greenstreet's character, Ferrari
and Peter Lorre's supremely creepy Ugarte.
Major Strasse; Nazi-ism personified.
smiley - vampire

Public Enemies

Post 4845

Sho - gainfully employed again

GB - the smiley - drool-thread are waiting with bated breath for your full report...

Public Enemies

Post 4846

Elentari

I'm going to re-watch the Keira Knightley/Matthew McFadyen Pride and Prejudice tonight.

Next Tuesday I see 40 Days and 40 Nights is on; is it worth watching?

Public Enemies

Post 4847

I couldn't stand Casablanca. But I've not yet seen 2001 so I may give it a go.

Public Enemies

Post 4848

HonestIago

Transformers 2. Just about the only good thing I can say about it is that it wasn't as bad as its predecessor. As with the first one, the highlight of the film was the Linkin Park song at the end.

I can accept giant fighting robots but the sheer plot holes in both films annoy me immensely, it just shows that either the writers are pants-on-head retarded or they haven't expended a single thought on the film.

The sheer idiocy of the geography was what really got to me in this one. They were fighting in Jordon, near Petra. Except the Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx were 4 kilometres away according to the film. You can see Cairo in the wider shots!!! They keep on saying they're in the middle of nowhere, but you can *see* Cairo, the largest city in Africa.

A massive American invasion force attacks - would the Egyptians not have something to say about such a large military force within their capital?

American force gets the smiley - bleep kicked out of it and then some helicopters show up: "Thank God, it's the Jordanian air force." So you're in the Middle East (Jordan, Egypt, wherever) and you're after some air support and you want the Jordanians?! Not, say, the Israelis who have the most powerful air force outside of the US, Britain and France. At least the fireballs the Jordanian air force was quickly reduced to was realistic.

I don't mind suspending my disbelief, but I don't like to be treated like an abject moron. Just the tiniest bit of thought in either film and I might have enjoyed them... actually, no, the first film was irredeemable.

Public Enemies

Post 4849

Taff Agent of kaos

but the film was made for an american audience who think central america is kansass

smiley - bat

Public Enemies

Post 4850

Orcus

I'm wondering why on earth you went to see it if you hated the first one so much...

Public Enemies

Post 4851

a visitor to planet earth

Rise of the Footsoldier, very violent.

Public Enemies

Post 4852

HonestIago

School trip. The kids made me. Appropriate retribution has been arranged.

Public Enemies

Post 4853

Orcus

smiley - laugh

Public Enemies

Post 4854

HonestIago

I did tell them how little I wanted to see it, but I think that might have encouraged them smiley - erm

Public Enemies

Post 4855

Elentari

"The sheer idiocy of the geography was what really got to me in this one. They were fighting in Jordon, near Petra. Except the Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx were 4 kilometres away according to the film. You can see Cairo in the wider shots!!! They keep on saying they're in the middle of nowhere, but you can *see* Cairo, the largest city in Africa."

They do pretty much the same thing in Team America, but it doesn't matter in that because that's the sort of film it is.

That would drive me mad too.

Public Enemies

Post 4856

Mol - on the new tablet

Bit of a filmfest here this week:

The Simpsons Movie. We liked this. It took the p out of itself superbly.

Charlie's Angels. DH wanted our daughters to see this, because it's 'such an empowering film for young women' smiley - rolleyes. Plus of course he gets to see lots of totty going at it hammer and tongs. And I'm sorry to say that we all enjoyed it *a lot* - again, because it didn't take itself at all seriously.

And today - Half Blood Prince. I almost got up and walked out when Harry and Dumbledore arrived in the cave - not because it was a bad film, but because I wasn't sure I wanted to see what I knew was about to happen. I thought it was a good film, but I do wonder whether anybody who hasn't read the books would be able to really follow what was going on and why. However, I also thought that about Return of the King, and non-readers assured me it made sense.

And of course it wasn't a great deal like the book anyway. Huge bits of plot and character missed out and added in. And, erm, why did a load of Death Eaters turn up via cabinet, witness a murder, randomly set fire to a building, and then just walk off?

And where was the summer? It was a very wintry film. Katie Bell got clobbered when it was snowing - well *before* Christmas and the Slug Club party - it looked quite nippy at Aragog's burial, and Dumbledore at the end referred to 'this fine spring evening', when it should have been summer, surely. Not a sunshiney film at all, but I suppose that's about right.

Mol

Public Enemies

Post 4857

we watched A Quantum of Solace.
Daniel Craig with no shirt smiley - drool

Public Enemies

Post 4858

A Super Furry Animal

>> but I do wonder whether anybody who hasn't read the books would be able to really follow what was going on and why <<

I've not read the book, and that's my major criticism of the film: if you can't understand it without having read the book, it's a bad film. I found it pointless and boring.

Went to see Moon this afternoon - this is basically a one-man film, with some peripheral characters and a rather spooky computer called GERTY, voiced by Kevin Spacey. It has shades of 2001. Bit of a slow burn to begin with, but after a while you find yourself wrapped up in it. The surprises weren't quite as surprising as I thought they might be, but were, nevertheless, well thought out. 4/5.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Public Enemies

Post 4859

Alfster

Just watched the Watchmen and in answer to the question...I do...smiley - winkeye

Excellent film. I think Alan Moore would be happy with it. I think he said David Hayter got close to the feeling of the comic itself. Hayter seems to be able to nail comic book adaptations.

Hayter is also the voice of Snake in the Metal Gear Solid games.

The film was what one would call 'old school' and in that I mean how films were made 6years ago...no stupid hand-held, zoomy, out-of-focus rubbish. The story line and acting and characterisation carried the film. And there were excellent special effects but they did not scream 'LOOK WE ARE SPECIAL EFFECTS' they were just there.

Also, my first blu-ray movie and it really is stunning detailed and you can tell the difference between DVD quality as long as the transfer is done properly.

Public Enemies

Post 4860

Ellen

Sho, you don't like Casablanca?! My god! I LOVE that movie.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more