A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What Films have you seen recently?

Post 4401

shiftyakacampo

<< Crouching Squirrel, Hidden Aardvark.>>

don't you mean

crouching tiger screaming sigfried and roy.

surely you mean, crouching women, hidden carrot?

Post 4402

Mistadrong, (Count vonCount.)the last Gog standing

I've just been to see Revolutionary Road and that was quite an experience.
I knew there was a (Kate Winslett) scream scene but it still took me
by surprise.

Kate Winslett and Gwen Stefani, are they the same person?
smiley - vampire

Post 4403

Elentari

Saw Slumdog Millionaire last night. I enjoyed it a lot, though I didn't feel it completely lived up to the hype.

Post 4404

badger party tony party green party

I really liked "Slum Dog Millionaire" the story had a real Dickens feel to it with lots of parallels to "oliver Twist" the film making was excellent. Its worthy of a few Oscars but in the crap shoot of a popularity contest some good films can easily loose out to other good, or even not quite so good, films.

smiley - rainbow

Post 4405

Good point about the Dickensian parallels, I was thinking the same
when the kids were being groomed for begging.
smiley - vampire

Post 4406

Mol - on the new tablet

A Knight's Tale.

Wow. Wasn't it fantastic?!

Mol

Post 4407

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

I just watched Milk and am shamed at my prior ignorance about the man and stunned by the film.

It really is very good.

Post 4408

A Super Furry Animal

I watched I Am Legend last night on DVD.

It's a bit scary in places...and a bit dull in others. Not bad, 3/5.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 4409

I watched
4Months
3Weeks&
2Days
last night.
Bleak, and shocking in places but I can see why it won the BBC Four award.
smiley - vampire

Post 4410

HonestIago

Watched Garden State last night, despite having bought the DVD over a year ago. Zach Braff (aka the guy from Scrubs) deserves to be wealthy beyond his wildest dreams.

Natalie Portman is obscenely adorable in it. There should be a law against people being that cute.

Post 4411

Elentari

That's one of my favourite films. The soundtrack is amazing too. If you're interested in a bit of the backstory and stuff, I wrote an edited entry on it. smiley - winkeye

Post 4412

HonestIago

I'll be buying the soundtrack on Tuesday. Currently listening to Let Go by Frou Frou over and over - it's an amazing song.

In the convo of your entry, someone said their missus found it quite sad and I can understand that, at times it was very bittersweet. The scene in the bath in particular made me smiley - cry a bit.

Post 4413

Elentari

I suppose parts of it are quite sad but overall it's very uplifting without being cheesy - which is hard to do! And Natalie Portman is fantastic. The character of Sam is just so alive. smiley - smiley

Post 4414

Sho - gainfully employed again

I've just watched Starter for 10. It's ancient but I never get to see things like this at the cinema.

Not bad - the Bamber Gasgoigne was brilliant.

Post 4415

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Saw V.

The most 'guessable' of the movies so far. Me and my brother had it sussed before the third trap.

The film like the traps was linear in nature knocking off a new cliché seemingly in time with dispatching a member of the cast.

It builds up the backstory of Jigsaw a little. (and serves to remind us that the time frame for the five movies is almost back-to-back) but that's about it.

Not one I'd recommend but it killed an evening with nowt on the telly.

2/5.

Post 4416

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

I liked Saw V. It had me jumping around the room in a 'Nnnnoooooooo!' sort of way.

There's a back story? Crivvens.

Post 4417

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Yes but compression fractures will do that to anyone. smiley - winkeye

Yes you're right back-story was a bit much. More like elaboration on a fixed theme.

Jigsaw has been dead for the last two films (hope that's not giving anything away) but they still find ways of bringing him back.

The traps are a bit more pedestrian now. Pit and the pendulum had a classic air to it, referencing Poe (in that very direct way that implies no subtly) but the tests for five were less captivating. (nailbombs?)

No more psychopaths masquerading as gunshot suicides or Donnie Wahlburg being beheaded by a giant icecube.

Post 4418

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

'Sunshine'

(picked up for £3 from a well-known supermarket advertised by a mockney chef)

I rather enjoyed it. A good blend of techie-SF with proper psychological bits. Very well designed. And a nice twist: (Not really a spoiler)...instead of 'We've only got four minutes to make sure the bomb goes off' it was 'We've got to make sure the bomb goes off in four minutes'.

Post 4419

Orcus

I watched There Will Be Blood last night.

Strangely it reminded me rather a lot of another Daniel Day Lewis epic from a few years back - Gangs of New York.

Epic, long, lavishly made and ultimately pointless. Bit of a shame really as it had me hooked in at one point and then lost it again.

I guess it was really a Citizen Kane like story ulitmately but very much a poor man's effort at it.

Post 4420

shiftyakacampo

due to the hype i watched slumdog millionaire, it seems to be a popular opinion that it`s good but not "8 oscar" good,
which i agree with.that would make it up there with saving private ryan,shawshank redemption and schindlers list which it isnt. a good film none the less though.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more