A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What Films have you seen recently?

Post 4181

Mol - on the new tablet

I was vaguely "oh, not as good" about Loaf and Death, although I really enjoyed it (especially Gromit's girlfriend). Then I remembered I also thought that about A Close Shave and Were-Rabbit the first time I saw them. And now I really can't decide which W & G is the best. I think that with all the W & Gs there is simply so much in them - jokes that are only on screen for a fraction of a second - that they have to be seen several times to get everything that's there.

We watched Jurassic Park last night - Osh (6) had never seen it before and was suitably terrified. We've got The Lost World on at the moment.

We also watched Mr Magoriam's Wonder Emporium (for the princely sum of £1, thanks Shreddies smiley - biggrin). It was another Bridge of Terebithia experience about dealing with loss and not at all the fantasy comic romp I had been expecting. It was also quite slight and I was glad we never made it to see it in the cinema.

Mol

Post 4182

Bassman - Funny how people never ceases to amaze me!

That's strange, I think The Wrong Trousers stands head and shoulders above the rest of them - easily. Maybe I just haven't seen the others often enough to get all the little jokes - my loss!

Bassman smiley - bikersmiley - cool

Post 4183

UberGek {Oo-behr Geek}

I saw Eagle Eye last night. It was so bad. Sort of a 2001: A Space Odyss mixed with Enemy of the State with some Get Smart thrown in. So completely over the top unbelievable. Could not suspend disbelief. Very Americana, too. Rubbish.

Post 4184

Sho - employed again!

just watched Swallows and Amazons, brilliant!

Amazons for ever! smiley - pirate

Post 4185

A Super Furry Animal

Earlier this year, I watched In Bruges at the cinema. I seem to recall raving about it at the time.

Later this year, I went to Bruges, mostly because of the film, and saw many of the locations used in the film.

For Christmas, I got the DVD of In Bruges. I've just watched it again.

It's even better second time around*. People, watch this film! It's really quite good.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

* I fully expect it to be even better 3rd, 4th and 5th time around. And thereafter.

Post 4186

Orcus

Just watched the trailer.

How come I've not heard of that until now? smiley - erm It does indeed look good.

Post 4187

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Following a conversation with my kid brother and his missus t'other day I re-watched "Stranger than Fiction".

It really is a good film, and a great understated (mostly) performance from Will Ferrell.

If anyone has not yet seen it I highly reccomend.

FB

Post 4188

anachromaticeye

I watched The Magdalene Sisters, wot was on TV last night. It's about exploitative Catholic laundries in Ireland that are run by nuns and are essentially prisons for girls that have fallen foul of mysoginistic 1960s religeous morality. It features some really quite impressively sadistic nuns although it isn't Nunsploitation and it claims to be historical at the end despite being a bit overly symbolic and sensational at points.smiley - erm So-so photography.

It is quite good though with good, if not a tad one-dimensional, acting all round. By the end of this film if you aren't itching to smite an elderly nun with a series of mighty uppercuts then you are probably a robot.

Post 4189

pedro

In the last week or so I've seen Beowulf, which was better than I thought it would be. No idea if it was true to the poem or not, so I don't know if it was sensationalised (didn't actually realise it wasn't live action for about 5 minutes..smiley - blush).

Also The Golden Compass (or as RF says, 'Oh, look! Polar Bears!') which was also quite good without having any of the magic of the books. CGI wasn't really up to scratch though.

Post 4190

Elentari

Just bought Juno on dvd. Loved that film.

Post 4191

Groinhammer

The Matrix is quite laudable as a standalone project, and was significantly different to mainstream action movies that preceded it. It is a piece of action fluff all the same, and to dissect it as a classic would be to give it too much credibility. The atrocious sequels must be the result of cashing in on a box office success, and could not of been forethought as the plot crumbles under even a cursory inspection. A film of its age, and like Highlander 'There should of been only one'. With careful editing you could condense all three into a single entity that would probably stand up very well.

Talking over the overrated, why is Tarrantino held in such high esteem? One passable film, one good film (of its age), and a steaming pile of horse manure ever since.

Life of Brian last night, followed by Blazing Saddles.

Post 4192

Groinhammer

My New Year hangover must still be raging, having just realised I responded to a post from 2005. I'll go back to sleep now, and let the world wash over me once more. I better watch something Disney orientated tonight, with bright colours and jolly incidental music. Any suggestions?

Post 4193

psychocandy - Moderation Team Leader

Tarantino's been involved in making some junk, but then he's got fantastic films like "Reservoir Dogs", "Pulp Fiction", "Death Proof" and "Sukiyaki Western Django". And anyone who can draw renewed attention to such greats as "Switchblade Sisters" and "Vanishing Point", for example, is all right in my book, any day.

I didn't think "The Matrix" was all the great, either. It was a decent film, but no means a classic. Plus it loses points for Keanu Reeves right off the bat.

Over the last few days we've watched a few films, including "Super Infra-Man", which is a Shaw Brothers tokusatsu-style film. The subtitling is atrocious, the rubber suits hilarious. In one scene, Super Infra-Man body slams one of the monsters, and you can see the actor's clothes through the tear in his costume. smiley - laugh Fantastic fun. smiley - ok

Post 4194

Groinhammer

Death Proof? The self indulgent rehash of 70's schlock horror B movie garbage with a budget Death Proof? Thought it was as bad as From Dusk til Dawn.

Reservoir Dogs was entertaining enough, but paled into insignificance compared to Man Bites Dog. Pulp Fiction was a thoroughly enjoyable film, and it was a refreshing change to get a dialogue driven hollywood film, but I thought he peaked, and refuses to move on. Ever since then Tarantino has been regurgitating lesser known B movies and horror comics of his childhood, and gaining ill deserved critical acclaim by sticking nearly forgotten half decent actors into leading roles, and improving their perceived performance by contrasting with his own wet fish acting abilities.

I thought 'Sukiyaki Western: Django' was Takashi Miike, and Tarantino had a bit acting part? Was Miike trying to be ironic (in an Alanis Morissette understanding of irony) with the whole 'Seven Samurai' becomes 'The Magnificent Seven' so 'A Fist Full of Dollars'(et al) becomes 'Sukiyaki Western: Django'? The Sergios are probably at turbine speeds in their graves.

Keanu Reeves was ideal for the Neo role, as he maintained a look of sleep deprived hallucinogenic confusion mixed with incredulity throughout the film. Fair enough he always looks like that, but I thought it worked for the Matrix.

Post 4195

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Hmmmm...

I think that Jackie Brown is an under-rated film that I really enjoyed and could never understand why no-one else liked it.....

Ho hum....

FB

Post 4196

Oh, yeah- I totally forgot about Jackie Brown (which is dumb- I won it!). It wasn't Oscar-worthy or anything, but it was very enjoyable.

Post 4197

>I thought 'Sukiyaki Western: Django' was Takashi Miike, and Tarantino had a bit acting part?

That's correct, and it was one of Miike's best. But Tarantino's "bit" was inspired.

"From Dusk Till Dawn" was pretty dumb- I'm not a big fan of Rodriguez, myself, though "Planet Terror" complemented "Death Proof" very well when we saw the big theatrical release of "Grindhouse". Really captured the spirit and fun of the old grindhouse theaters. smiley - biggrin The only reason I bothered seeing "From Dusk Till Down" was Tom Savini.

Post 4198

Backing up a few posts to a_a_e's last...

I saw "The Magdalene Sisters" some time back while on a nunsploitation kick. It didn't exactly fit the bill, no, but you're right about wanting to beat up some nuns after seeing it. *spit*

But that nuns can be utterly reprehensible is no surprise- ever read Christopher Hitchen's book about the Ghoul of Calcutta, "The Missionary Position"?

Post 4199

Sho - employed again!

No, but I've read Through The Narrow Gate by Karen Armstrong and got a pretty good picture.

Post 4200

Finally got a chance to catch up on some of the films in the Netflix pile. Over the weekend, we watched a few:

Alexei Tarkovsky's "Mirror". Quite good- I loved the way he used the same actor/actress to portray the narrator and his mother as well as the narrator's wife and son, blurring the distinction between past and present. smiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - star

"Umberto D."- really liked it. It's really sad that the elderly in society are just left to die when they stop being "useful". I can't say what I loved most without spoiling the ending, though. smiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - star

"Drop Dead Gorgeous"- dark comedy/ satire that skewers all kinds of superficiality. Some bits -including a sight gag or two- are laugh-out-loud funny. smiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - star

In between there were a few schlocky '70s-era drive-in "classics". So bad they were hilarious.

Last but not least, "William S. Burroughs: Thee Films", a collaboration between Burroughs, Brion Gysin and Antony Balch, and archived by Genesis P. Orridge. Fantastic short films- highly recommended! smiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - star

Key: Complain about this post