A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Accents

Post 161

Dinsdale Piranha

"Them as kna, divvnt need be telt and them as divvnt kna cannet be telt"

Am I alone in wanting Jordi LaForge to talk like that to Picard? smiley - smiley

Accents

Post 162

Is mise Duncan

I think the Klingons should definitely talk with either a Geordie or a Scouse accent...and that Quark fellow is definitely a closet Mancunian - sorted smiley - winkeye

British English

Post 163

FromWithin

I only realised the other day that "Go figure!" is a horrific bastardisation/shortening of "Go and figure that out!".

Now, there's something I've been wanting to moan about for years, and I'm afraid here's the place to do it. It's a certain Americanism that makes no sense whatsoever, and really grates on me when I hear it in films. Ready?

"I could care less".

Why do Americans say that? It should be "I COULDN'T care less", implying that you care so little about the subject in question that you can't possibly care any less as you are at the bottom of the pit of "care", as it were. Saying "could" means that you do actually care.

Here's a Britishism that annoys me as well:

"He went down like a lead balloon!".

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but lead balloons actualy go down very well indeed.

British English

Post 164

plaguesville

Hadn't really thought about the lead ballon thing. I'd just considered it to be in the "chocolate teapot" category - not terribly appropriate; i.e. it would not "go down well" = be welcome.
On the other hand, it would not go down well = deflate, on account of not being particularly flexible. (Although that is a fanciful piece of reverse engineering occasioned by your observation.)

British English

Post 165

Dinsdale Piranha

I'd always understood 'go down like a lead balloon' to be in water, as in 'sunk without trace'.

With regard to 'go figure' I've noticed that the word 'and' gets missed out quite a lot in everyday American speech: 'Go get the coffee', 'Come visit us', etc.

And another odd Britishism...

Post 166

Is mise Duncan

"Built like a brick outhouse" - well, they're small buildings altogether...built like a brick cathedral would make more sense.

Post 167

Kaeori

Going back a few steps, perhaps when you guys were talking about football, what you really meant was soccer!smiley - winkeye

When football players throw the ball, they too can give it English!

Post 168

Dinsdale Piranha

Most of us think it's a bit rich calling a sport 'football' when only one of the team uses his foot to propel the ball. And he's only on the pitch for about 2 mins out of the 60. smiley - smiley

*foams at mouth* It's NOT called soccer!

*calms down again* Sorry, I know you're only winding me up, but its official name is Association Football.

Of all the various sports that have 'football' in their name Association Football is the one which most deserves the name. All the others seem to use hands much more than feet.

Post 169

Kaeori

Ok, sorry for teasing! I know this topic can arouse strong feelings.

But have you noticed how the English somewhat grandly title things:

* Football, not English football

* The Times, not The London Times

* The Army, not the British Army

... and so on. Is it because so many things began here, or because nowhere else matters?

Post 170

Is mise Duncan

As a goalkeeper,( see http://www.h2g2.com/A380468) I must point out that not all players are restricted to using their feet...smiley - winkeye

I believe that the word "soccer" is derived from the word Association in Association Football, and "Rugby" is from Rugby Football thus American football should be called,simply "American"? Also "soccer" as a word should only be used if you can effect the colonial/RAF type accent...rather, what? used to play 'soccer in shangers, dear boy etc.

Post 171

Munchkin

Brick Outhouse. Being very carfeul here aren't we? smiley - smiley Anyway, I had assumed that being built like one you were, strong and squat. Not necesarily tall, but muscly in that square type of way, which sort of fits with a low, squat out house. Maybe?

Post 172

BuskingBob

I'm with you on this one, Munchkin. We also use "Built like a Victorian Latrine" which is a posh way of saying the same thing.

Strongly built, squat, and probably ugly!

Post 173

Dinsdale Piranha

The Football Association is indeed so called because it was the only one in existence at the time. Don't know about the others though. I can't believe that we were the first country to have an army. It's the only one of the services that isn't prefixed with the word 'Royal' though.

We probably call it 'the Army' out of laziness - if we don't specify which country, we mean this one. Do Americans always refer to their army as the US Army then?

Post 174

Phil

It's probably because the army was made up from individual regiments who might not have been paid by the crown initially. There are a few royal regiments though. Another thought is that it could well be that when Cromwell raised his new model army the thought of calling it royal was not really a good idea.

Post 175

BuskingBob

I think you're probably right , Phil. The regiments that have "Royal" and the like in the title have usually earned it by some special action, or are new. Some regiments even take pride in the fact that they are NOT allowed to use "Royal" etc - I know of one regiment that isn't even allowed to use a crown in it's regimental badges after something they did in the past that really p*****d off the monarch of the time. I guess that there are other traditions like this as a result of the English Civil War!

Post 176

Phil

Which regiment is that then? (the no crown one)

Post 177

Kaeori

The US Army is, well, the US Army. Yeah, sometimes we just say or write army, but everyone knows it as the US Army. I'll tell you a lil' secret: many Americans have a sneaking admiration for the British forces, 'cos you know how to kick ass and still keep that cool English accent!smiley - smiley

We do, of course, have our own pretentions. Our home-grown sports, for instance, delight in assuming 'World' titles, e.g. World Series.

When I say 'we', I mean that in the loosest sense of the pronoun!smiley - winkeye

It's going to get more confusing...

Post 178

Pec

So the American English translation of "Never mind the bollocks, here's the Sex Pistols" would be, "Never mind the testicles, here's the Sex Pistols," actually, now that i think about it its kind of a double entendre because it could mean, "Never mind the testicles, here's the penis," or it could mean, "Never mind the imbeciles, here's the Sex Pistols." Ah British wit, I will never grow tired of it

British English

Post 179

Afrael (keeper of angelic guidance)

...and I thought it was just me being anal. These things bother me too. Finally a forum to discuss the important issues in life.

*sighs the satisfied sigh of a pernickety linguist*

NB I'd be a bit careful about "He went down like a lead balloon." That might be describing an entirely different kettle of fish...

British English

Post 180

Dinsdale Piranha

One pointless saying of my Mother's is: 'Cheap at half the price' when told the price of something that she thinks is really good value for money.

Yes, Mum. It would be. But why did you feel the need to say something like that?

Key: Complain about this post