A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Turn your turns into terns please

Post 1721

Nikki-D

WG - you say Hollywood Road goes down hill ... surely it also goes up hill if you tern (!) through 180° (degrees) ?

Hollywood road

Post 1722

Wand'rin star

goes straight(ish) across from East to West.(and vv I believe) SoHo is south of Hollywood road but uphill from it. We have a further problem with the meaning of Central, but, although it may have started out as British English, since the handover these questions don't belong on this thread

Hollywood road

Post 1723

Kaeori

I remember reading about a magical hill in Scotland that has the wonderful property of going both up and down at the same time - in the same direction. You can free wheel on a bicycle uphill.

Nobody ever says it's been a downhill struggle.

smiley - smiley

Optical illusion?

Post 1724

Wand'rin star

or was it a delusion of the writer's? or allusion to a fairy story? or collusion between the writer and the local tourist board? What are your (cool) conclusions?

Mountains, hills and undulations

Post 1725

Munchkin

Gaah this thread is still up the spout!
Anyway, I am going to reply to the Downs comment before it collapses entirely.
My great grandfather was the Minister a wee town of Doon. Being the Minister, he wanted his daughter to grow up speaking proper English, and not the Scots of the local kids. This was fine, except when she was going into town. She could never work out, was she going down the road to Doon, or doon the road to Down, or someother combination. They were eventually forced to send her to finishing school, so she could go doon the road to Basle instead.

Optical illusion?

Post 1726

Nikki-D

I saw this on TV many years ago, and the illusion was outstanding.
Now there's a thought ...
out - opposite = in
outstanding - opposite ???
Can't get to grips with the opposite for outstanding (not been done yet) or outstanding (particularly good)
Looking at 'standing' doesn't help.
Is there an 'instanding' ?

Instanding

Post 1727

Wand'rin star

yes, it's where the stand-ins stand on a film set. or was that the hard standing?

Oustanding

Post 1728

Is mise Duncan

"The work which was not outstanding was outstanding"
A perfectly legitimate sentence that just looks nonsensical.

Oustanding

Post 1729

Percy von Wurzel

Insitting, surely?

Post 1730

Glider

You flatter to me to suggest that my elevated vantage point is the source of my wisdom. I must confess to being a cheat. The Parish register of 1911 is on the internet at

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/parloc/search.html.

Ifyour bored - type in a rude word and it will find you a village called that. "Cocking" for example.

Oustanding

Post 1731

Wand'rin star

Interesting grammatical point here Dunx.
The book which was not outstanding stands out.
You can't split the first meaning.
BTW I'm glad to see you finally admit cheating at Scrabble.

Post 1732

Pheroneous

Cocking I know well, just north of the South Downs, or south of the North Downs. Spent many happy hours plucking mushroom from their manure beds in a railway tunnel there! But then...you didn't need to know that.

Grafting means working hard, cheating (money-wise) and a method of propagating plants. Graft, as in 'hard graft' is work. At least in that usage (work) I think I have a claim for the vocabulary.

Grifting, as in the the film 'The Grifters' (The first time I ever heard the word) seems to me the opposite, an English word not understood in Britain at all.

Graft

Post 1733

Kaeori

I thought graft also meant political corruption.

And a lump of skin moved from one place to another.

And isn't Grift one half of a comedy duo?smiley - winkeye

Grifter

Post 1734

Glider

A Grifter is a kind of bicycle, popular in the 80's, pre-BMX. Along with the Commando and the Chopper (don't go there) in the 70's these were objet de desir for the young man about town. For the benefit of those Non-UK researchers this particular class of bicycles were equipped with a gear shift on the frame betwixt seat and handlebars. Ideal for catching your bollocks (q.v.) upon if you braked (broke?) too suddenly. The film The Grifters stars John Cusack and , I think, Anjelica Huston (now starring alongside Jeremy Northam in a Merchant Ivory film of the Golden Bowl, Henry James' last novel. I saw a review of the film last night. Earlier, in Waterstones, before I knew of the film I saw the book on sale marked down for £1 and nearly bought it. Coincidence dogs me(another use of the word dog).

Nursery work is a staple source of employment for students and school kids during the summer holidays in Sussex. Never did mushrooms. I mainly did tomato picking but did have an out of body experience in a polytunnel, stripping garlic cloves on a hot day. Quite soporific. The youngest son of the Nursery owner, Ashley was about 6 at the time and he used to eat about 10 raw cloves of garlic a day. Loved the stuff. Weird kid.

Graft

Post 1735

Nikki-D

Close, Kaeori, it's Griff, short for Griffon. And the other half, which is actually bigger than the first half, is Mel, short for Mellon.

Graft

Post 1736

Nikki-D

Close, Kaeori, it's Griff, short for Griffon. And the other half, which is actually bigger than the first half, is Mel, short for Mellon.

The Better Half

Post 1737

Percy von Wurzel

My children always used to demand 'the biggest half'. The usual solution was to cut a piece off both portions and eat the pieces oneself. They no longer complain out loud, although I suspect that there are many sotto voce grumblings.
I can vouch for Grifter bicycles, although I never posessed one. Isn't a mellon a large rotund fruit?

The Better Half

Post 1738

Phil

One half of the Carnegie Mellon University I thought.
The way to divvy up a thing into two portions is to get one person to cut and the other to choose.

Divvy

Post 1739

Percy von Wurzel

Another multi-purpose word.
Divvy (usually school-age slang)
Noun, possibly from divot?, an idiot.
Verb, usually followed by 'up' or 'out', to share out.
Noun, a dividend, esp. in the days of Co-op dividends.

Div

Post 1740

Pheroneous

Divvy in playground terms for someone lacking their full complement of grey cells, was, in our neck of the woods, usually shortened to Div.

I think Grifters (the film) was one of those very few films that was good in spite of not having Melanie Griffiths or Julie Christie in it.

I also think that Mr Glider here is having us on, pulling our leg, making it up as he goes along. Having already given away too much above, I can say that my pheroneums were of bike age at that time and I think you must mean Drifter. I demand proof.

Happy Easter holidays in Sidlesham pinching out tomato side shoots!

Key: Complain about this post