A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Given the choice, would you rather H2G2 became more popular or less popular?

Post 1

The Groob

I think I'm just about happy with it as it is, although maybe it could become a little less popular (and I define popular by number of users) as recently it seems to attract some trouble makers, the likes you only really see in chatrooms.

Post 2

Serephina

My thoughts exactly smiley - smiley

Post 3

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

My thoughts tooo... But, I think its always been the case, well since I've been here to notice it... that an awful lot of people join, in comparason to those who stay, so its kind of putting up with those who are trying to more or less use it as a chat room, for they won't get on with the format and will leave, and then welcome those that do stay, contribute and become part of the community..... That damn sea faring vagabond can shooo though, unless he brings back hostages from his sea voyages... smiley - laugh

Post 4

Saturnine

I'm quite happy regardless. But I would like to see a tightening up of HOW the site is used...not enough people are told about the whole Guide Entry sections.

smiley - smiley

Post 5

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I get a bit fed up with going to look at guide entrys in Peer review to find they don't meet a single of the criteria in teh writing guidelines.... Its only recently I've resigned up to the peer review page, I'm seriously thinking of unsigning again...

Post 6

Saturnine

Hmm. I haven't been over there for a while. Is it that bad? Who are the culprits? Wait. You don't really need to answer that...smiley - bigeyes

Post 7

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

After spending way too many years living in Florida (don't get me wrong I love it here and will probably never leave) There is an old saying among us long time residents;

'Everyone wants to move here --
and as soon as they arrive they want to figure out how to keep everyone else out!'

I think new blood and new ideas are vital to keep this place fresh and interesting for the rest of us.

I have been annoyed with a few of the newbies, and have probably said so a bit more strongly than necessary once or twice, but the truth is we should all try to explain why this site is so special and help them fit into our community. We were all new once.

Then again I find I have been hooked into looking forward to the next post of Mornington Crescent!

F smiley - shark S

Post 8

Teuchter

I know I've said this before on similar threads: If H2G2 deals with Life, The Universe and Everything there's surely room for everybody in here. People eventually gravitate to the parts of the site they find most comfortable - or they fall off the edge smiley - winkeye

Post 9

Whisky

Hmm, I'd prefer it to be more popular because of its aims and the dreams of its creator...

Not merely more popular, no on second thoughts, popular isn't the right word, 'busy' would be better, because it's a refugee camp for disowned chat site users!

Post 10

Baconlefeets

smiley - weirdI'm sure i posted something to this thread last nightsmiley - yikes Where did i post it?

Has anyone seen my post?!

It went something like this:

ohhh it was a crap post anyway...

I want Hootoo to be more popular, BUT to be more popular with interesting, funny people, no troublemakers

Post 11

Teasswill

I think peer pressure tends to get rid of trouble makers. There are pros & cons to the overall growth - doesn't feel so matey, but on the other hand lots of new people to meet. Those with something in common tend to end up in the same areas anyway.

We've had conversations about the quality of guide entries before. I think the site has to evolve according to the active contributors. I understand how some folk are active for a while & then drift away as their circumstances change but it's a pity there are so many who have joined but apparently never posted.

What seems a shame to me is when people join & have never heard of Hitchhiker or DNA. Does the site make it's provenance & character clear enough to casual visitors? Should we have a category of temporary researchers who can post but be 'erased' if they choose not to stay?

Post 12

Baconlefeets

"What seems a shame to me is when people join & have never heard of Hitchhiker or DNA"

I actually joined this site before i'd read the book. I'd vaguely heard of Hitchhikers, and after i joined, thats when i read the books.

I'm glad i stumbled across the sitesmiley - biggrin

Post 13

Teasswill

Perhaps I should have qualified my complaint to mean those who don't bother to find out!

Post 14

Saturnine

I think it's a marker of the site if people come and use it despite not knowing the origin...it means the site has developed on it's own, without the need for DNA's name to make it what it is...

Post 15

Lizzbett

I came to H2G2 via other DNA sites. I started off on Book of the Future and then moved over to Get Writing when BotF finished. Lou(Listy) kept telling me to come over to hootoo but to start with it seemed really big and scary compared to BotF. At the moment I spend more time on here than on GW because I'm not feeling inspired enough to write anything.

Anyway, the conversations are far more varied and entertaining on hootoo than on GW - which of course they would be because hootoo deals with life, the universe and ... everything!

Liz
~

Post 16

A Super Furry Animal

More popular.

1. It's the best site in the world, and more people should join it!
2. Without new membership, it will atrophy and die.
3. Whilst there have been some annoyances recently, generally speaking people are well-behaved, and sometimes a little quirkiness is helpful to shake things up a bit smiley - winkeye
4. But don't tell my Dad about it!

Post 17

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

I tend to see the chat-room types, the young, those who haven't heard of DNA or the premise for the site, the spammers, the cranks and all the other assorted trouble-makers as the kind of beings one would encounter on a trip thru the Galaxy anyway. Or even a trip to the market for that matter. They are just part of the passing scenery. It's a crazy universe and as someone said, it takes all kinds.

That said however, I would like the site (and its premise and the future possibilities that might suggest) to grow in popularity for the same reasons it was created, as a forum for those who found certain universal truths in the works of DNA or who identify with one the characters or find comfort in the possibility of an ongoing existence in a Cosmos where Vogons tend to blow up worlds.

The humour and irony found in the books is essentially a sustaining philosophy for Life, the Universe et al, a philosophy that helps some people (me) to sustain in a world gone mad. I mean (as someone said) if ya didna laugh, you'd hafta cry.

smiley - zen
~jwf~

Post 18

A Super Furry Animal

Precisely, ~jwf~. That's exactly what I was trying to say. smiley - biggrin

Post 19

Baconlefeets

smiley - ermare you sure?

Post 20

Saturnine

smiley - book

Key: Complain about this post