A Conversation for Ask h2g2

useless facts

Post 161

Cheerful Dragon

Actually, rhythms has more consecutive consonants than latchstring, and is more commonly used. So there!smiley - tongueout

useless facts

Post 162

Doc U

smiley - doh[grumbles about vowelishness of y]

useless facts

Post 163

Lady Scott

The word bookkeeper has three consecutive sets of double letters.

useless facts

Post 164

F F Churchton

Stewardessess is the longest word typable with the left hand side of a qwerty keyboard!!!

Note, writng qwerty on a keyboard is brillinat!!!

useless facts

Post 165

pedro

The theory of a flat earth was, apparently, not invented by the church, but attributed to them by anti-religious propagandists in the 19th century.

useless facts

Post 166

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Interesting! (I had come across that somewhere - Stephen Jay Gould?)

Also - every giraffe's markings are unique, like fingerprints.. (Dunno if anyone's said that already...)

useless facts

Post 167

pedro

Er, yeah actually. Small world.
Columbus was not backed by the Portuguese or Genoese states because his estimate of the circumference of the earth was too small.

useless facts

Post 168

Baron Grim

More people are bit by cocker spaniels than any other breed of dog.

useless facts

Post 169

IctoanAWEWawi

From the Metro newspaper (edited highlights!)

During an 18.5Hr aeroplane flight
1) Each passenger will shed 11.1million skin cells, 100 strands of hair. With 180 passengers you do the math..
2) Each one will pass 500ml of gas by flatulance (and just think what molecules that is releasing !)
3) total 150 litres of sweat lost
4) total of 144 litres of gas belched.
5) The man sat next to you will get up to 8 erections during the flight.

useless facts

Post 170

Baron Grim

What are you doing to that man next to you? smiley - yikes

smiley - run

useless facts

Post 171

IctoanAWEWawi

nothing, but I'd love to see the questionaire they used to get that little lot!

useless facts

Post 172

Really? I avoid small yappy dogs like that, anyway...

useless facts

Post 173

F F Churchton

I don't want to know that, espically when I've got to go to Australia soon!!!

useless facts

Post 174

IctoanAWEWawi

Enjoy the flight and try not to keep looking suspiciously at the bloke next to you!

useless facts

Post 175

The Groob

In 1979 the French astrologer Michel Gauquelin placed an advertisement in Ici-Paris offering free personal horoscopes. Of those who received the horoscope, 94% subsequently rated it as accurate. Unfortunately, they had each been sent the same one, that of Dr. Petiot, France's most notorious mass murderer.

useless facts

Post 176

The Groob

The middle star on 'Orion's Belt' is closer to Earth than it is the other two stars.

useless facts

Post 177

Baron Grim

That star's name is Alnilam (Epsilon Orionis). To its left is Alnitak (Zeta Orionis) and to its right is Mintaka (Delta Orionis). Alnilam (whose name comes from an Arabic word that means 'string of pearls') is actually the farthest away at approximately 1340 light years. Alnitak and Mintaka are both at approximately 870 light years distance. Even though it is half again as far away Alnilam is the brightest of the three with a magnitude of 1.70.

useless facts

Post 178

F F Churchton

Betelguese is still the most 'happening' star of the constellation, while Sirius is the brightest!!!

useless facts

Post 179

wimblin

On a monopoly board, the set of streets coloured orange are the ones most landed on. Seen on a news item, lady talking to a monopoly champion. smiley - laugh

People often ask to borrow a tissue. Would you want it back afterwards? smiley - doh

useless facts

Post 180

smiley - erm No, on reflection...

Key: Complain about this post