A Conversation for Ask h2g2

LessUsed Facts

Post 9801

Bald Bloke

I doubt "Nobody" Knew, They are just not quotable.
Given Kodak's involvement with government projects on imaging and materials, it's not a total surprise.

That thing was not from the description a reactor, but a high power source, smaller ones are used for examining welds in critical metalwork.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9802

swl

Indeed. I laugh when areas proudly proclaim themselves a "Nuclear Free Zone". No x-ray machines in their hospitals I suppose and no connection to the National Grid.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9803

Baron Grim

Well, I'm glad I stated that poorly. I was beginning to think this thread was abandoned. smiley - ok

smiley - ghostsmiley - elvissmiley - ghostsmiley - elvissmiley - ghost

LessUsed Facts

Post 9804

Lusus

There are areas that claim to be nuclear free zones...? I haven't heard of that before. smiley - erm Examples would be good.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9805

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Apparently, Berkeley, California is one:

http://go4nuclear.wordpress.com/2010/01/22/living-in-a-nuclear-free-zone/

LessUsed Facts

Post 9806

Bald Bloke

Greenwich council in London declared itself a nuclear free zone in the 1980's.
Obviously no-one had told them about the reactor in the training submarine at the Royal Navy College, and yes there was a small one so the nuclear submarine crews could be trained.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9807

Baron Grim

Vicodin (Hydrocodone) is so named because it is six (VI) times as strong as codeine.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9808

smiley - facepalm

That information may not be useless, but it is certainly annoying.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9809

Baron Grim

How so?

LessUsed Facts

Post 9810

Sort of like a bad visual pun. smiley - winkeye

LessUsed Facts

Post 9811

Baron Grim

Actually, I was rather impressed. I worked in a pharmacy when I was a kid and I just assumed drug names were picked at random from a box full of vaguely Greek/Latin/Extraterrestrial syllables.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9812

smiley - laugh It seems that way to me, too. I suspect they may work jokes in there more than we've been led to believe.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9813

You can call me TC

Perhaps the Baron's worries about this thread dying out are unfounded. Or rather, they are not unfounded, the thread may be dying out, but there are less useless facts around - more and more facts are becoming useful.

Maybe?

LessUsed Facts

Post 9814

You can call me TC

For example, the fact about a drug being 6 times the strength of codeine is not only useful, it could, under certain circumstances, be a matter of life and death.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9815

Cheerful Dragon

OK, here's a useless fact: I have a scar on my left knee from when I cut it at the age of about 6 years old.

It's a fact - the scar is there. It's useless because you won't see it unless you meet me face-to-face and I'm wearing shorts or a short skirt (not likely!).

LessUsed Facts

Post 9816

Among famous members of the America First Committee, which tried to keep the US out of World War II:

Gerald Ford
Walt Disney
Charles Lindbergh
Sinclair Lewis
The CEO of Sears, Roebuck and Co.

A young JFK sent them a hundred dollars. They disbanded after December, 1941. Wonder why...

LessUsed Facts

Post 9817

Bald Bloke

A young JFK sent them a hundred dollars. They disbanded after December, 1941. Wonder why...
Several loud bangs in Pearl Harbour.
To be fair they had already done a lot without committing to joining in.
Lend Lease etc.

LessUsed Facts

Post 9818

The America First Committee fought FDR all the way. smiley - laugh They opposed Lend Lease. He couldn't get it through until he became the first three-term President...

FDR brought in the big guns. He sent Wild Bill Donovan over to confer with the sneaky people in the UK...and the Brits planted a fake map of South America where the FBI would find it. Under some German Bund guy's bed or similar...

The map had South America all divided up into Protectorates. No word on who was supposed to be Gauleiter of Buenos Aires...smiley - evilgrin

Truth is So much weirder than fiction...I love history...

LessUsed Facts

Post 9819

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

The Canary Islands were not named after the birds. http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/04/canary-birds-were-named-after-the-canary-islands-not-the-other-way-around/

F smiley - dolphin S

LessUsed Facts

Post 9820

Well, now, that's interesting! smiley - biggrin

But was Admiral Canaris named for canaries, or his dog? (Sorry, been editing smiley - thepost. It will take a while for reality to return.)

Key: Complain about this post