A Conversation for Ask h2g2

useless facts

Post 901

The Groob

I C&Peed it off a website in a google frenzy. It was the first time I'd heard of this but my ewif reckons it's common knowledge. I must have been in a daze for the past 20 years.

useless facts

Post 902

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

Hitler was last seen chatting with Lord Lucan while Richey Edwards rode by on Shergar. A guy called Zapruder got it all on film.

useless facts

Post 903

Gnomon - time to move on

>>my ewif reckons it's common knowledge

What's common knowledge?

useless facts

Post 904

nicki

Hitlers body has never been found, it was on a documentary once. it is pretty much common knowledge!

useless facts

Post 905

Musashi Himura, the ronin returns, is happy to be back

hitlers body wasnt found in the bunker, his ss had burnt his and eva brauns body in a pit only the charred remains were found and a skull which is kept in a moscow museum

the lookalike was found strangled in a pool of water a few days before hitlers death

as far as i can remeber offov the history programme i was watching on uktv history

useless facts

Post 906

nicki

thats right i believe, think ive seen the same programme

useless facts

Post 907

Common knowledge is an interesting thing...the way it spreads so widely be word of mouth. These days it gets a helping hand via things like Popbitch (For example...despite press restrictions, we all know the Prince Charles and David Beckham stories, don't we?). But even in the days when "t'Internet were in black and white" we all knew various unpublished 'facts', such as:
- The connection between Marianne Faithful and confectionery
- The long-term relationship between a female childrens' TV presenter and female singer/songwriter
- Sexual activities connecting a Hollywood actor with the name of a electronic/disco pop duo
etc. etc.

useless facts

Post 908

nicki

i dont think i know them now!
care to fill me in?

useless facts

Post 909

The Groob

"The long-term relationship between a female childrens' TV presenter and female singer/songwriter"

Eh? Beans to be spilled here me thinks!

I liked the Marc Almond stories about the dog and the stomach pump. It's made it to Snopes which says it all...

The Marianne Faithful (or as Private Eye called her 'Marryanyone unfaithful') one is untrue.

useless facts

Post 910

Gnomon - time to move on

Such 'common knowledge' has been shown to be untrue in many cases. There is no basis in fact for the Marianne Faithful story, for example.

useless facts

Post 911

No can do! I'd almost certainly be moderated! Try asking around.

(seeing your age from your personal space - I'd suggest going to an older person)

useless facts

Post 912

Watermusic

Marianne Faithful once asked my brother to get her a drink at a big charity do. He was wearing his Merchant Navy Officer's whites and had been mistaken for a waiter.

useless facts

Post 913

Hokay....go here: http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/Castro/7935/personaggi/a.html

Then scroll down to the 14th box. You're looking for 'WI 1950 singer'

And I thought everybody knew this one!

useless facts

Post 914

The Groob

Crikey. I never heard of that before.

useless facts

Post 915

Gnomon - time to move on

I never knew that. But it would not have interested me when I was a kiddie watching Blue Peter. Nor does it now.

useless facts

Post 916

nicki

3 words

oh my god!

useless facts

Post 917

Yes - but that's because you have the civilised Irish attitude to public figures, whereby (for instance) everybody knows but nobody cares whether a Taosaich lives with his mistress.

I mentioned those 'facts' not out of prurience, but simply to illustrate the phenomenon of word-of-mouth mass communication.

useless facts

Post 918

nicki

its not that i have a problem its just valerie singleton , i wouldnt have believed it of her

useless facts

Post 919

So do you want to know about the gerbils then?smiley - smiley

useless facts

Post 920

Gnomon - time to move on

Snickers.

Key: Complain about this post