A Conversation for Ask h2g2

useless facts

Post 8741

The Left Reverend Doktor Baron Grim

Yes, you do. But the points are as useless as the facts. smiley - ok

useless facts

Post 8742

Max Rockatansky, more widely known as Mad Max, aka the Road Warrior is named after Baron Carl von Rokitansky, the Bohemian pathologist who developed a procedure for removing internal organs during autopsies. Writer/director George Miller was a medical student and completed his residency in Syndey in '72. His medical work and exposure to accident victims inspired the story.

useless facts

Post 8743

Timely bonus... Dick Clark owned a house designed after the one in The Flinstones... No, really! smiley - bigeyes

http://www.boredpanda.com/dick-clarks-flinstones-inspired-home-malibu/

useless facts

Post 8744

You can call me TC

<> ... Oh, THAT Bohemian pathologist. Glad you clarified that for us. smiley - winkeye

useless facts

Post 8745

That's what I was thinking when I read it. smiley - laugh

Man, when you're writing in-jokes about a 19th century pathologist/physician/philosopher you're aiming for the most nichiest of niche fans.

The good baron seems to be most notably known for some rare diseases named after him.

His wikipedia page doesn't even mention his famous namesake.

Definitely an apt addition to this thread. I really don't see how I could even bring this Useless Fact up in conversation at the bar.

Useless Facts

Post 8746

Eveneye--Eegogee--Julzes

This seems like a useless fact: I will have another useless fact tomorrow (Useless because I don't believe the people who say they want a warning to ignore me).smiley - winkeye

Useless Facts

Post 8747

This day in useless history - Spanish-American War: Spain declared war on the U.S. on 24 April, 1898. The the very next day, the U.S. declared war on Spain *four days earlier*. Yes, the U.S. Congress signed the declaration of war on 25 April, but dated it for the 21st.

Useless Facts

Post 8748

Eveneye--Eegogee--Julzes

Source? Believable, but please source. I will have that item shortly (in a few hours, and I will see if it gets partly or fully posted by my hinting at the Oxford Dictionary of Religion) and will eventually read through this and all threads I have joined. This is a long-termer.

Useless Facts

Post 8749

Eveneye--Eegogee--Julzes

Slow here. Title of volume is actually 'The Oxford Dictionary of World Religions'. Busy and trying to formulate what to say. It is about page 121 (11 squared) of the paperback edition. City named 'Acre' used to be 'Akka' (in English). A string of six 1s if letters were replaced by place in alphabet. And line 42 of left column on page, excepting reference lines and a space line, contains this city and to the left of it after a parenthetical dating of "(1863-8)" would be with same positional substitution (and no spaces) 11442085142015208516189191514-392025156 (dash from 'prison-city'), so the whole line to the left has eleven 1's this way including that date. Well, not knowing what to make of it, that is it. smiley - erm

Useless Facts

Post 8750

King Tut had his own personal nose-picker. The payment for this position was three head of cattle and included room and board.

Useless Facts

Post 8751

tucuxii

Had to keep his nose nice and clean ready for mummification so they could pull his brain's out of his nostrils smiley - sigh

Useless Facts

Post 8752

Vestboy

I wanted to say s'not true... but it probably is.

Useless Facts

Post 8753

Rod

Probably cheaper than having to keep an eye out for it

Useless Facts

Post 8754

On this page is an image from the walls of Tutankhamun's tomb depicting the sky goddess, Nut, picking his nose. Apparently nasal clearance was a task that carries on to the afterlife.

http://jubal.westnet.com/hyperdiscordia/nosepicking.html

Useless Facts

Post 8755

According to Bad Astronomer, Phil Plait, today is [U.S.]National "Ask for Permission in a Polite and Fancy Way" day.

May 1?

Everywhere else is "Answer in a Polite and Fancy Manner" day.

1 May.

Useless Facts

Post 8756

Mr. X ---> The path behind me is littered with corpses. .... .... .... Do you have a trash bag?

That picture of King Tut? That proves nothing; she's not even touching his face.

smiley - pirate

Useless Facts

Post 8757

True, maybe she's just wiping away his milk mustache.

Useless Facts

Post 8758

(btw, Phil Plait retweeted my "1 May" reply.) smiley - biggrin

Useless Facts

Post 8759

The most shoplifted food in the world is...

smiley - cheese CHEESE!

I'm sure 2legs will be pleased.

http://consumerist.com/2011/10/whats-the-most-stolen-food-in-the-world-did-you-guess-cheese.html

Useless Facts

Post 8760

Pink Paisley

Interestingly, in Soviet Russia, it was not deemed illegal to steal processed cheese or cheese spread.

Only proper cheese is theft.

PP

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more