A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Disability and h2g2

Post 1

The H2G2 Editors

Hello all,

This is a cheeky request on behalf of another team. We'd like to hear comments from any disabled users about their experience with using h2g2. What do you like? Do you find it difficult to navigate around the site? Does the site enable you to do things in the virtual world that maybe you can't in the outside world?

We don't want to lead the discussion too much in one direction, so for now this is just to get a quick sample of comments that will hopefully help to inform a major project for bbc.co.uk in the future.

Have your say in the conversation forum below.

The h2g2 Editors

Disability and h2g2

Post 2

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

As a blind user (using JAWS screen reader (version 7) with Windows XP Pro) its a really quick site to navigate round and find things... with the obvious exception of the clinkyness of the search and its.... functionality smiley - tongueoutsmiley - run

Disability and h2g2

Post 3

Mu Beta

"Does the site enable you to do things in the virtual world that maybe you can't in the outside world?"

You mean like founding a cult, becoming president, and smacking one of your 'friends' between the eyes?

I blame 2legs.

B

Disability and h2g2

Post 4

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

all praise the cult of the hell in a handcart smiley - zen

Disability and h2g2

Post 5

Tabitca

as a dyslexic I find Guide HTML impossible to use but otherwise have no problems. I blame 2legs for Guide HTML smiley - biggrin

Disability and h2g2

Post 6

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

I am agoraphobic and have other disabilities. The site enables me to meet my friends and allows me the freedom to play, learn and write for the Guide. smiley - magic

Disability and h2g2

Post 7

The H2G2 Editors

Thanks for this - it's all really helpful. We'd also like to know what you'd want from the site in an ideal world.

(NB: Hot and cold running Toblerones and Barbudian holidays won't be introduced until at least phase two of any discussion - we can only really focus on issues of site usability for now).

Disability and h2g2

Post 8

STRANGELY STRANGE ( A brain on a spring )

Sometimes when I have boughts of moderately sever depresion I find h2g2 a good way of talking to people if depression is stopping me from going out unless I really have to.
The good thing about h2g2 being open 24/7 is there is usually someone around or it is atill possible to post a message.
I expect in general, a place where people can talk about disabilty in general would be good....I know there are unofficial threads started already but I don't think there is an "official" disabilty chat area as yet.
One of the great things about h2g2 is the anonimity so it is possible to talk about things like depression, which I don't do in real life.
Clearly I can't talk about physical disability, but someone who used to be on here said he used a pen to type out letters on a keyboard to help. him use h2g2.

Disability and h2g2

Post 9

Researcher U197087

I've suffered from depression and anxiety for some time, many aspects of my experience of h2g2 have been demonstrably instrumental in my recovery.

But as an epileptic I can't cope with some of the gifs. smiley - winkeye

Disability and h2g2

Post 10

Cheerful Dragon

I am classed as 'disabled' (receiving Disability Living Allowance, Blue Badge holder), but I have no major disabilities that affect my use of H2G2. The disabilities I do suffer from time to time can't be helped by any service provided by the H2G2 team - problems typing, very rare visual problems (optic neuritis).

I've been a member since the day this site started and there have been some great changes, including being able to choose the 'skin' you work with. Keep up the good work! smiley - cheerssmiley - ta

Disability and h2g2

Post 11

Fizzymouse- no place like home

I have quite severe arthritic problems, and while I can't see how h2g2 could improve in any way to make this easier, I do find it cheers me up when I'm feeling particularly creaky.smiley - towel

I can also smiley - boing which I can't do in RL.smiley - ok

smiley - mouse

Disability and h2g2

Post 12

Moving On

What smiley - mouse said. I'm a tad on the creaky side physically too.

I can also smiley - somersaultand smiley - run which I can't do beyond the screen, either.

But s/he's right; smiley - boinging is by far the most fun
smiley - smiley

Disability and h2g2

Post 13

KateBygrave

I am partially deaf and of course H2G2 is perfect for me as an information source.

However I would say that the Net is great for deaf people in any case. smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post