A Conversation for Ask h2g2

When did our researchers first encounter HGTTG(the novel)

Post 61

Wild Stallion

I tag my response on here as I too was first exposed to Dirk Gently and had heard about the Guide. After thoroughly enjoying that novel I hunted up the rest. And the rest is history smiley - smiley

That was about 10 years ago.

Post 62

Bistroist

It's a short story which takes place without any connection to the HGTTG novels, it features a young Zaphod, government officials and a planet in galactic sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha. More than a bit weird, and not quite as good as the novels in my opinion, it's still worth reading though.

~Bistro

Post 63

jamin.r

About 8 months ago - seriously. I had heard all the hype about it and had always wanted to read it, especially after a reccommendation from a more intelligent number of my friends. The only reason I actually read it was because at my school there is one day a week where 30mins of reading is compulsory. I had been caught short, and got a copy of "Life, The Universe & Everything" out from the school library, and was promptly hooked! I bought the omnibus edition the next week and I am currently reading it for the 12th time. On another note, I can't beleive Azermaine was only 10 - considering the silver bail of the Wikkit Key is "The Rory Award For The Most Gratuitous Use Of The Word 'F**k' In A Serious Screenplay"! I am 16 by the way.

Post 64

$u$

I don't know exactly how old I was, but it was definitely less than 10! I think I saw the BBC TV series first and then read the books. I suppose it depends when they were first published? I know I had already read them repeatedly and knew them almost off by heart by the time I was 12!smiley - smiley

~A~

Post 65

Quadrapop on h2g2

I first encountered the Guide in 1979 at a WASFA (Western Australian Science Fiction Association) meeting where a copy of the first paper back edition was up for raffle. (I didn't win smiley - sadface ) I was just 14 years old.

I actually read the first book within a year of that meeting and all the rest as they came into paperback. I have since had 2 copies of HHGTTG but they seem to mysteriously disappear after someone spies them on my shelf. So I have given up on actually owning a copy. I have all of the others though.

Quadrapop

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more