A Conversation for Ask h2g2

The Edited Entry they don't want you to read

Post 201

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

Send 'em another one. One on the hour every hour during working hours ought to do the trick...smiley - winkeye

smiley - shark

Post 202

Pimms

It worked in the Shawshank Redemption anyway smiley - winkeye

Post 203

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Mmm. I'll send another this evening.

smiley - ale

Post 204

Mu Beta

I never saw any PCs in the Shawshank Redemption. smiley - erm

B

Post 205

Pimms

smiley - laughsmiley - cross I'd take you seriously if I wasn't convinced you were being whimsical.
Anyway Shawshank was in some way about PC (Prison Corruption)
Pimms smiley - mistletoe
(not wanting to be seen as a humorless smiley - geek)

Post 206

Bodhisattva

smiley - footprintssmiley - zen

Post 207

Baron Grim

smiley - footprintsF28173?thread=291034&skip=60&show=20

Post 208

Ashley

Yes - keep us informed FM. smiley - ok

Post 209

Frumious Bandersnatch

smiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huh?????

YOU want ME to keep YOU informed, Ashley?

smiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huhsmiley - huh

Sorry, but last I heard, YOU WORK THERE. The current situation is *I* am waiting from an answer from *YOU* - the BBC - so your asking me to keep you up to date sounds.... odd.

If a railway company had f**ked up, and left me standing on a platform, I think I'd be annoyed. If they then failed to provide any explanation for the f**k up, despite several requests, I'd be more annoyed still.

But if one of their employees then came up to me and asked me how much longer the train was going to be, I think I'd punch the ignorant f**ker in the mouth for taking the p**s.

Ashley, please consider yourself punched in the mouth.

smiley - popcorn

As for an update, I note with interest that as of today the h2g2 FAQ Index, here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/DontPanic-Register#11

Says:

"Please note we will not remove Edited Guide entries ... unless they break the House Rules."

This is of course a lie. The Edited Guide entry I wrote broke no House Rules - the Editors themselves TOLD me that in the email they sent saying it was being deleted.

Hands up... is ANYONE surprised?

FB
Still impressed with the level of professionalism at the Towers.

Post 210

Frumious Bandersnatch

Oh yeah... and standards of literacy too...

"keep us informed FM", indeed.

FB

Post 211

Pimms

FM possibly a slightly too smiley - steam reaction - though the example in your metaphor certainly seemed an initially reasonable response.

I thought one of the things that had been made fairly clear in this lengthy thread is that the Towers staff didn't delete, or have control over the deletion of, your entry - that it was BBC Editorial Policy smiley - devil that stuck its oar in.

One would hope that the Towers staff had better communication with the BBC than the general researcher, but it doesn't surprise me that italics may trust researchers to keep them informed of what is going on (to the best of the researcher's knowledge) more than presumably faceless bureaucrats in Editorial Policy smiley - devil.

EPsmiley - devil could easily bypass them in giving you a response (if they ever do), in the same way that EPsmiley - devil apparently bypassed the italics in deciding to remove an Edited Guide entry.

Ashley didn't deserve that intemperate response (at least not for the comment he made today), which shows more faith in you than in EPsmiley - devil.

Pimms smiley - mistletoe

Post 212

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Post 213

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

On 24 February 2003 I posted a query on the Feedback page of SoP-London. It was to enquire whether they might be interested in an entry I have written.

Some time ago, in the course of an unrelated conversation with Peta Haigh, I mentioned that I was still waiting for a reply. She promised to raise the matter with them. That was on 1st June.

It is now 17 July 2003 and I still haven't had a reply.

After all this time I don't care two hoots whether they reply or not, now. I wouldn't be interested anyway, any more. And I'm certainly not interested in lame excuses or apologies (not that I've had any). So I'm not wasting any more time or energy on that, except I thought you might be interested to know that you do not suffer alone. And there's always someone worse off than yourself. And every cloud has a silv...

Post 214

Fathom

:::bookmark;;;

And waves at Bels.

F

Post 215

Mu Beta

Hoov - I think Ashley's point was that he is being kept as much in the dark as you, but never mind.smiley - doh

And you were under the impression that he works there? Yeah, but not very much. smiley - biggrin

B

Post 216

Tube - the being being back for the time being

smiley - footprints

Post 217

Peta

"Send 'em another one. One on the hour every hour during working hours ought to do the trick.."

That'll work? Come on don't even suggest it. Harassing the staff won't help. We know that. You know that. Emails every hour won't help at all.

Post 218

Martin Harper

> "Anyone know Lucinda's email address?"

Funny thing, actually - Last week I saw the government accuse the BBC of abandoning all traces of journalist ethics. Then this week I hear that Israel's government is boycotting the BBC because Auntie is "verging on anti-Semitism". And now I read (belatedly) that the BBC is deleting perfectly decent h2g2 articles without bothering to explain why.

These diverse forces are perhaps insufficient on their own to challenge the might of the BBC. But what if they teamed up? Tony Blair, Ariel Sharon, and Hoovooloo. It's an unlikely alliance, but it might just work.

> "Harassing the staff won't help".

The mere threat got Peta to actually post to this thread. That's a small miracle in itself! For the next h2g2 meetup in London, can someone propose "protest at the BBC offices" as the afternoon activity? We could have a Protest Sign Competition, rather than name badges. And if it got slow we could play softball in the foyer.

I expect most of us have been told on occasions to just sit back and wait for an answer. And most of us have got threads where we were told that over a year ago, and still don't actually have an answer. Someone should create a page for "Italics' to-do list", since they obviously can't handle such complex organisational tasks themselves.

-MyRedDice

Post 219

Diddy!

what a great thread! so much more interesting to read than most! i wonder what the outcome will be! no answer/email at all or the editors to come out of hiding n reveal themselves! ill have a flutter on no answer at all. what do you mean the odd are 1/100 on oh its a sure winner is it eh?

Diddy!

Post 220

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

FB, have you actually found an email address for this mysterious entity? If so, could you let me know where to find it?

And Peta- I'm fairly sure Blues was being flippant- his posts over the page clearly state that excessive emailing is counter-productive.

smiley - ale

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more