A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Clap your hands if you believe in Fairies

Post 1

cyberaunt

It's time to come clean. I saw one when I was a kid in England. These are the unvarnished facts.

My sister and I shared a bedroom, there was a large window with a wooden pelmet along the top covering the curtain rail. One morning (it was weekend but I don't recall if it was Sat or Sun) when we woke up there was this little guy sitting on top of the pelmet. He was about 7" tall, very slim, dressed in short blue leggings and a long sleeved t shirt. He had his legs crossed and one elbow resting on his knee - his chin was resting on his hand. He sat and watched us for a while, smiling, then he got up and strolled away.

Neither of us ever saw another one - and surely if we had imagined a 'fairy' we would have imagined one in a tutu with wings? I'm rather hoping some of you might have seen one too, but decided to keep quiet about it for obvious reasons!

Post 2

Anonymouse

*clap clap*

(But then, I believe in dragons, too. smiley - winkeye)

I believe there are many things that the average person doesn't believe in, actually. smiley - bigeyes

Post 3

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

Fairies, no (haven't seen any myself, that is). But this I know: there _are_ more things in heaven and earth....

Post 4

Whizzard of Oz

Lupa - you're just everywhere - love your observations by the way!!

Faries - never seen one. Haven't seen Angels either, but Im quite sure they exist!!!

Post 5

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

Why, thank you--for both comments. I haven't been on H2G2 very long, but I make an effort to check out at least one new thing every time I log on--that way my influence just keeps spreading....mwahahahahaaaaa.....

Post 6

AEndr, The Mad Hatter

clap clap
I believe too, and I think I've seen two (together)...

Post 7

cyberaunt

Well thanks for that, are you going to tell? - go on...

Post 8

AEndr, The Mad Hatter

In Scotland, on the west coast, in a little glade in a wood, by a waterfall. they appeared to be taking a shower fully clothed. I really noticed the hats.

Post 9

IAmATrampAndIDanceLikeAFrogInABlenderAndILikeIt

CLAP CLAP

Post 10

Anonymouse

"There are things, Grasshopper, that I may see more clearly than you, though my sight is gone."

Post 11

IAmATrampAndIDanceLikeAFrogInABlenderAndILikeIt

YOU DON'T NEED EYES TO SEE -
YOU NEED VISION

Post 12

Anonymouse

And I suppose you intend to prove that you don't need ears to hear by making sure we are all deaf from all your shouting?

Post 13

Hoovooloo

Interestingly, since this conversation was had, the world has quietly and without fuss arrived at the definitive answer on the existence of UFOs, ghosts, lake monsters, fairies and the likes of Yeti and Bigfoot.

xkcd summed it up in a graph, showing just a single line that bobbles along near zero, takes off upwards about 2005, and is in the region of 90% by 2015.

The line is labelled "percentage of the US population carrying cameras everywhere they go every waking moment of their lives".

Consider the things we HAVE got photos and footage of since this, things most people had never seen before:

- tsunamis. There was a fair bit of footage of the Boxing Day tsunami of 2004. There was LOADS of the one in Japan in 2011.
- meteors. The Chelyabinsk meteor of 2013 seared its way across the sky and onto the news around the world thanks to Russian dashcams.
- snowboarding crows. If you've not seen this, you need to google it NOW.

These are incredibly rare and unusual events, but there's no doubt they happen, because we've seen the evidence.

Meanwhile, ghosts, UFOs, Nessie and God are all notable mainly by the complete absence of any evidence other than people saying "believe me!".

Post 14

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

That's because of the filters installed by the fairies that infiltrated Google and Apple. Maybe the Chinese have proof but are unwilling to share it?

Post 15

Hoovooloo

It's an odd thing - my wife is much younger than I am. She chuckles when I tell her about growing up as a kid in the seventies, when UFOs, Bigfoot, ghosts, spoonbending and all sorts of other paranormal bollocks were pretty mainstream. I mean - there are still proponents of this sort of thing, but they're very much more loonie-fringe figures nowadays. In the seventies, Erich von Daniken and Charles Berlitz and Uri Geller were making fortunes selling the most ridiculous unsupported nonsense, and otherwise intelligent people lapped it up in a way they're not doing as much any more. (Or at least so I'd like to think).

For instance - are there any "proper" universities doing research into "parapsychology" any more?

Post 16

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Parapsychology is easy ->

I'mgonnadieI'mgonnadieI'mgonnadieI'mgonnadie….Whop…(parachute opens) Oh, maybe not after all….

That's just existential dread (or gravity) followed by boredom

Maybe you had something else in mind though

Key: Complain about this post