A Conversation for Ask h2g2

More little news bits

Post 361

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

"I hear Washington D.C. is one of the most dangerous places in the world to live."

Yes Anhaga, Washinton D.C. IS very dangerous.
In the US statistics it is dangerous, I do not think the most dangerous in the whole world though.
(I missed the post it if it was addressed)
smiley - disco

More little news bits

Post 362

Phryne- 'Best Suppurating Actress'

'The enemy of my enemy...' and all...

I cannot speak for Zoomer, obviously.
however! since Bush himself has decreed that all in disagreement with him he considers to be enemies (what other interpretation could there be for 'against us' in that context? smiley - winkeye) it seems he himself has marked me out as an enemy.
Even though I do not consider its enemies my friends, it appears the US itself doesn't want me as a chum; and they have eliminated the 'indifferent bystander' category.
Therefore I will have to settle for 'well wisher, in that I don't wish any specific harm.'
smiley - erm

More little news bits

Post 363

starbirth

Mandragora long time no argue. smiley - winkeye

Actually I believe he said "you're either with us or against us" when speaking on what he discribed as a 'war on terrorism' To the best of my knowledge this was not said about the iraq issue. I also believe he was speaking to goverments concerning harbering/aiding terrorist not individual people who disagree with his policys.

We might disagree on somethings mandragora, OK we have disagreed on a lot of things. However I do not regard you as an enemy. After all you have imparted the wisdom of 'maximum absorbtion rate by observing optial dunking' how could such a person be an enemy?

More little news bits

Post 364

Phryne- 'Best Suppurating Actress'

aye, not since before the Xmas truce... smiley - biggrin

I am glad we are not to be divided on the issue of dunking, since after all that is the main thing.

I would not support someone attempting to destroy you with an explosive biscuit, for instance. I would not support anyone wanting to destroy the US. It's not my argument.

No matter who Bush was speaking to it was a daft thing to say. If another govt. had put it to him, he would have been the first to... I d'know, wet himself. Or something. I haven't agreed with him yet in any case, over Iraq or his 'WOT'. Still, I would have thought he could see that every international situation is not as simple as... well, he himself?

However he's rolled it out many times since then, including very recently.
If t'were me (I am glad it isn't) I would be far more careful addressing governments- and by loose implication, the populations they more-or-less represent- than individuals.
But then I do not give the proverbial fig what Bush thinks of me personally. smiley - silly

More little news bits

Post 365

rangerjustice (formerly warrior ranger)

More little news bits

Post 366

clzoomer- a bit woobly

The definition of an enemy in a (US)dictionary is:

1 : one that is antagonistic to another; especially : one seeking to injure, overthrow, or confound an opponent
2 : something harmful or deadly
3 a : a military adversary b : a hostile unit or force

So I suppose I could consider the current form of the US government to be my enemy in some definitions. I would like to think that the entity of the USA is not though. The Bush administration will do a great deal of harm before it is through, but perhaps the next will learn.

More little news bits

Post 367

RAF Wing... Lookee I'm Invisible!!

I hope you're right, Zoomer. So far they never learn.

More little news bits

Post 368

clzoomer- a bit woobly

"For the villainy of the world is great, and a man has to run his legs off to keep them from being stolen out fom underneath him."
Bertolt Brecht, The Threepenny Opera (1928), Act I Scene 3

Or even better, (and I may be misquoting here because it is from memory) another Brecht quote:

"Don't rejoice in his defeat, men. For although you killed the bastard, the bitch that bore him in in heat again."

More little news bits

Post 369

clzoomer- a bit woobly

I suppose both of those could be used by either side of this argument!smiley - laugh

But the villany of the world is great, and unfortunately mostly govenmental.

More little news bits

Post 370

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

The mountains are in labor and a ridiculous mouse will be born.

Virgil

More little news bits

Post 371

clzoomer- a bit woobly

I think in this case the mountain will be born of the mouse. Or perhaps rat.smiley - laugh

More little news bits

Post 372

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Sorry,... it's Horace...

More little news bits

Post 373

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Well, *this* is interesting!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/page.cfm?objectid=12713155&method=full&siteid=50143

I don't know the respectability of the source but it sounds real, even if over exagerated.

More little news bits

Post 374

clzoomer- a bit woobly

And *this* is alarming and disturbing.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/03/07/1046826533281.html

More little news bits

Post 375

Alec Trician. (is keeping perfectly still)

fyi zoomer,

the 'respectability' of the daily mirror is indeed questionable to say the least.

alec.smiley - clown

More little news bits

Post 376

starbirth

< A source close to negotiations said last night: "President Bush agreed to a speech but insisted he get a standing ovation like at the State of the Union address >

Knowing the mirror it was the porter sweeping the floor two buildings over .

More little news bits

Post 377

starbirth

You are the master of the understatement. Kim jong-il is Chinas bulldog. He do's not posses a hundred nukes. Closer to 3 or four. After all it is the chineese who have supplied the techs and technology. They do not want to over arm him in case he decides to bite the hand that armed him. Just enough to be a thorn in the US side. But they are playing a very dangerous game. I do not know why the world is not screaming about his blatent threats. My god right now as I right this there are several trident subs off the korean peninsular. Each sub carrys 24 SLBM's subermerine launched ballistic missles. Each SLBM carrys 12 Nuclear MIRUS Multable Independent Targetable Rentry Vehicles. The missles reach speed of more than 1 mile a second within 90 seconds of launch. That means that 3 subs {there are currently over 12 tridents active} could deliver 868 nuclear war heads {each one a hundred times the first atom bomb} to strike North Korea. The first wave of 36 arriving in less then 5 minutes with insueing waves every 1 minute. That is alarming and very very very scary.

More little news bits

Post 378

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Thank you Alec, in the back of my mind I equated the Mirror with tabloid journalism. I'm glad the story is more of a rumour than a fact.

Starbirth, yes I am worried along with you. Unfortunately Canada shares some blame in this, since in the 60's we sold some "breeder" reactors to North Korea. They were to be used only for power, obviously, but they could and may have been converted. My only hope is that these are not those reactors, but newer ones. Not that that would absolve us of blame.smiley - sadface

More little news bits

Post 379

rangerjustice (formerly warrior ranger)

Even if Canada provided the initial technology, the N. Korean government is responsible for how that technology is used. They are the ones making the choice to use the reactors for weapons, instead of for power production.

More little news bits

Post 380

clzoomer- a bit woobly

True, but when the *Candu* reactor was first made, everyone knew it could be converted. That is how India got their first fissionable material. Luckily the technology needs more than that, but it is a start. It's one of the things I am not proud to be a Canadian over. But I hope we have improved.

Key: Complain about this post