A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 17841

Cheerful Dragon

As I recall, the series of Das Böot was just the film split into manageable chunks.

Petty Hates

Post 17842

You can call me TC

I've just checked. The film came out in 1981. I could have seen it as I was pregnant at the time with my first child, but I was only aware of it when it was televised in 1985.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Boot

Petty Hates

Post 17843

You can call me TC

PH. Can't sleep again. Sitting here at 4 am reading H2g2 on my phone.

Petty Hates

Post 17844

Teasswill

I've encountered that problem too. Very annoying. Also, many containers are tapered or some other odd shape that doesn't make economic use of space.

Petty Hates

Post 17845

Caiman raptor elk - Yes, but what if the box is REALLY big?

Some sort of taper is usually required to get plastic parts out of the mold in one piece during production, or to make them stackable when empty. Other shapes are probably more related to aesthetics (made inefficient by design).

Petty Hates

Post 17846

SashaQ - happysad and 'slightly mad'

PH: When you fill in a form and it doesn't ask you to specify your title, but then they send you an e-mail in response and try to guess what your title is smiley - erm

Added PH: When they also spell your name wrong in said e-mail smiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 17847

Online forms where you have to specify the number of adults and kids, without stating up to what age they are considered kids, then finding out, after answering three pages of questions, that you guessed wrong and have to start all over again.

Petty Hates

Post 17848

Teasswill

Or you find you've answered wrong but the form won't let you go back & change it.

Petty Hates

Post 17849

You can call me TC

There is a glitch in many German forms where you sign up for an activity. The wording is: "Ich komme mit... Personen." (I will be attending with... persons"

Now you would think that if 4 of you are coming, you should fill in with "3",which would also be correct from the German meaning. But you are supposed to put the number of people attending, i.e. 4.

Which is daft, because if you weren't coming yourself, you wouldn't be submitting the form anyway!

Petty Hates

Post 17850

Baron Grim

My mother is a retired nurse. The first time she probably used a computer was at work when they introduced a mainframe system at her hospital. While the learning curve was a bit high for her, her frustration wasn't helped with things like a required data field for EVERY patient for "Date of last menses". The field was structured such that the entry had to be a date, not "N/A" or similar. So they picked an arbitrary but impossible date, something like 1/1/1111 for their male patients.

Petty Hates

Post 17851

Baron Grim

Oh, and for children as well. smiley - rolleyes

Petty Hates

Post 17852

Teasswill

The museum where Mr T volunteers has a screen showing day's activities. When he pointed out a missing apostrophe (whats on), he was told that the software did not allow any punctuation!!
No excuse, they should have typed in full 'what is on'.

Petty Hates

Post 17853

Teasswill

Today's PH: Mr T thinks house is too warm (or just looks at dial setting) & yanks thermostat down a few degrees rather than just tweaking until clicks off. So next morning rather chilly!
My son has commented the same with his missus - turning aircon/heating up/down fully instead of just a gentle nudge.

Petty Hates

Post 17854

In a previous occupation, we had a thermostat war between the European and Japanese employees. (20 vs 26 degrees)

Petty Hates

Post 17855

Bluebottle

20 Degrees, obviously.smiley - ok

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 17856

Problem: The managers were Japanese.

Petty Hates

Post 17857

Cheerful Dragon

When I was in college the project management lecturer had once been an office manager. He had a similar problem. One particular employee always felt that the office was too cold and would wind up the thermostat. Another always felt it was too warm and wound it back down. Neither appreciated the time it took for the system to react. Their battle over temperature became a major irritant. The manager arranged to have the thermostat control moved, and replaced with a dummy. Neither of them noticed the change. They continued to fiddle with the control, convinced that they were making a difference. Perhaps a similar trick could be tried in other places where there's a conflict between individuals.smiley - erm

On the subject of management wanting the temperature set at 26°C, someone should tell them that such high temperatures can affect people's health. I have MS and it affects my ability to cope with hot weather, or other causes of high temperature. I'm OK up to about 23°C, over that and I struggle. I don't know much about the incidence of MS in Japan, but it's something the management needs to be aware of if they're working in Europe.

Key: Complain about this post