A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 17881

Baron Grim

I'm curious, what about that makes it UK specific? Is the date significant?

Petty Hates

Post 17882

SashaQ - happysad

Yes - hairdressers have to close during the UK lockdown that started on 4 January and isn't due to finish until 5 March so there are no appointments before 15 February smiley - rofl

The e-mail was an automated thing because I haven't managed to get an appointment since July 2020, but nobody told the computer the salon was closed!

Petty Hates

Post 17883

SashaQ - happysad

Sorry - got my dates mixed up - the original end date for the lockdown was 15 February, so that's why the e-mail particularly made me laugh.

Now the lockdown is due to end on 5 March there is definitely no chance that the discount would be valid, so I deleted the e-mail.

Petty Hates

Post 17884

Baron Grim

Ah... My barber got his first inoculation recently, as did my parents. My barber has been pretty careful, following guidelines although many of his customers are trumsters and refuse to wear masks. When my father and infrequently do go get our hair cut we both take a look to see if his parking lot is empty before we go in. He runs the shop by himself so he normally only has a couple of customers in at a time. We can usually catch him when he has no others. This isn't strictly a covid behaviour. We both like to catch him when there's no waiting.

He's always happy to see us so he can talk freely about politics without biting his tongue around his predominately conservative customers.

Petty Hates

Post 17885

Caiman raptor elk - Escaping the Array

I do most of the family haircuts myself (including my own), which is a useful skill in a lockdown.

Petty Hates

Post 17886

Teasswill

Motorists who: drive without lights in poor/dull weather, think speed limits don't apply to them, compulsively overtake (swapping lanes willy nilly), drive at top speed through puddles - you get the picture.

Petty Hates

Post 17887

Rosa Baggins

My PH is the lack of snow in the winters of the UK.

Petty Hates

Post 17888

Bald Bloke

You might not be so Lacking today smiley - smiley

Petty Hates

Post 17889

Primary schools would be opening again today (after a 3 month closure and home schooling), but the snow prevented this from happening.

Petty Hates

Post 17890

Cheerful Dragon

Today I received a letter advising me that my appointment with my neurologist on Friday has been cancelled. Thanks for letting me know. Unfortunately I hadn’t received a letter telling me about the appointment in the first place!smiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 17891

SashaQ - happysad

Gah - that’s more than a petty hate... I hope the situation gets sorted out ok smiley - goodluck

Petty Hates

Post 17892

SashaQ - happysad

PH: I have been doing some simple maintenance tasks today, and unscrewed a bolt. The washer fell off the bolt, bounced on the floor and promptly disappeared smiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 17893

Baron Grim

Your comment reminded me that earlier today, I similarly dropped something and instantly lost track of it. I tried to remember specifically what it was I dropped...
I couldn't recall what it was or what I was working on...

Then it occurred to me it was in a dream this morning.

smiley - sillysmiley - laughsmiley - weird

Petty Hates

Post 17894

Baron Grim

NO! Wait! Correction!

It was only about 3½ hours ago and it actually did happen. I was airing up the front tire on my bicycle at work. I went to remove the pump nozzle and it pulled out my Presta valve core. THAT's what I "dropped". It disappeared and I believe the reason I couldn't quite recall it and thought it might have been in a dream is because someone talked to me! smiley - rofl

There was a guy replacing the window glass for our building nearby when it happened. It made quite a POP and a HISS so as I'm looking down to see if I can spot the valve core he said something assuming I had actually burst the tire. Regardless it was enough of a distraction that my mind assigned the memory to only short term storage, hence why I mistook it for a dream scene. smiley - laugh

Petty Hates

Post 17895

Did you find it eventually or do you have a flat tyre now?

Petty Hates

Post 17896

Baron Grim

Oh, of course I didn't. Someone distracted me. smiley - laugh

I quickly realized there was little point in finding it. It just got pulled out of the valve stem. I'm sure the threads are stripped. Although, maybe I should do a quick search for it this morning once the sun comes up.

I have a couple of spare tubes here at work. I'm just not sure they don't already leak as they're ones I had to patch.

I didn't want to replace it then as the bike was still chained to the bike rack and the bike rack had been moved away from the building windows to make room for their work. But mainly, it was too close to lunch time and I'd already placed my order online, so I just drove.

Petty Hates

Post 17897

Cheerful Dragon

Really Petty Hate, but the phrase "legs akimbo" irritates me, especially when used by an author who should know better. Given the context, I assume that the character was sitting with his legs wide apart. The alternative - feet resting on hips, knees pointing to the sides - requires a contortionist.smiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 17898

Baron Grim

Legz Akimbo?

The experimental/educational theatre troupe from Royston Vasey?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plfm0zjYE5Q

Petty Hates

Post 17899

Teasswill

I always though it meant a sort of untidy sprawl, but is more it akin to the cervical smear pose? Only sitting up as opposed to lying down.

Petty Hates

Post 17900

"feet resting on hips, knees pointing to the sides - requires a contortionist"

I used to be able to do that (assuming you mean right foot on left hip and left foot on right hip) and then push myself up on both hands.

Key: Complain about this post