A Conversation for Ask h2g2
Cheerful Dragon Posted Mar 13, 2019
Smelly plastic. Hubby bought two Red Noses yesterday. We had to take them out of the packaging to air because they smell so much that you wouldn't want to wear them. The keyring he bought for me isn't much better.
I know that noses smell, but this is ridiculous!
Cheerful Dragon Posted Mar 13, 2019
Bluebottle Posted Mar 13, 2019
PH – not being able to pick your nose – you don't know what you've got until you buy it. We bought 5 and there's ten to collect, and got three gnomes and two jesters.
SashaQ - happysad and 'slightly mad' Posted Mar 13, 2019
I second the PH of smelly plastic - last week there was a box of magazines wrapped in cellophane in a room at work, and I couldn't go in there until the window was opened because the smell was so strong!
I'd not seen the newfangled Red Noses before but I was surprised by the smell as well - not quite as pungent as the magazines but I could certainly smell that they were in the room...
Sho - gainfully employed again Posted Mar 14, 2019
Bluebottle - I'd not bother buying any then - that's just annoying.
Bluebottle Posted Mar 14, 2019
My kids love the noses as they're the right size to fit the Sylvannian Families house and cars so they want to collect them all.
Rosa Baggins, (see LOTR appendix Hobbits Family trees for more information) Posted Mar 14, 2019
My pet hate is having a dry itchy scalp which no medicated shampoo can treat. I have had since I was 4 years of age or younger. I have tried all sorts of dermatitis shampoos but nothing works.
Baron Grim Posted Mar 14, 2019
Try not shampooing.
Shampoo strips your hair and scalp of healthy oils along with the dirt.
I've dealt with greasy hair and dandruff since childhood until I went to the no shampoo method.
I use baking soda and water for cleaning daily, and I spray on and rinse out diluted apple cider vinegar a few times a week for conditioning.
The first month or so can be a bit... gnarly, but after that, my hair has never felt better.
You can find lots of info on the interwebs, by searching for either "shampoo free" or "no poo method". You'll also find videos from folks that have gone "poo free".
I highly recommend it. (Just don't give up those first several weeks while your hair readjusts.)
Teasswill Posted May 15, 2019
W/e petty hate. Got myself a PS4 & some games. My PH is the minimal information in the box. Have had to resort to the internet for lots of stuff. Couldn't they even run to a folded map?
It's akin to the 'online' manuals which you can't access simultaneously with doing the task you're trying to achieve.
Cheerful Dragon Posted May 16, 2019
I bought myself a new monitor to use with my laptop a while ago. It had the same problem - not even a quick start guide to help set it up. I even had trouble to the on switch - a black button on a black background that made me think of Hotblack Resistor's ship.
I have two PHs that I was going to post last week, but the first of them happened, so I gave up.
1. Switching to a different tab to look something up while writing a long post and finding that I've lost everything I'd typed. Often I can't be bothered to type it all in again.
2. Books with long scholarly introductions that defeat the purpose of Amazon's Look Inside feature. The introduction is often so long that you don't get to the actual story by the time the sample ends. How can I make up my mind about a book if I can't read any of it. I know that I can read other people's reviews of the book, but their preferences may not be the same as mine.
Cheerful Dragon Posted May 16, 2019
The previous post should have said "I even had trouble finding the on switch". That's another PH - not spotting a mistake till after I've not Post. I know that Preview is my friend but I seldom use it.
Caiman raptor elk - Yes, but what if the box is REALLY big? Posted May 16, 2019
Due to PH 1 I have developed a habit of copying to the clipboard whatever I type every so often, especially before hitting "Post Message" on long pieces of text, so that when it turns up blank, I only have to paste and post it again.
You can call me TC Posted May 16, 2019
If it hasn't crashed betweentimes, the back button should usually turn up your writings.
Baron Grim Posted May 16, 2019
I made one of those while bored in my Basic Electricity class once. Thank "Bob" for the vent hood.)
You definitely can NOT rely on the back button. When it does work, you got lucky.
On a desktop, switching between tabs is rarely a problem, but it's always a problem on mobile devices. And it can sometimes be a pain to copy text. Fortunately, it is often possible to "select all" within an entry box.
A similar PH for me is switching tabs on my mobile when trying to reply to a Boofcake post. Inevitably, if I switch tabs to look something up to state in a response, when I come back, the post I was wanting to reply to is often GONE! And just going back to my feed or whichever group page I was browsing is usually futile as Boofcake's algorithms have pushed everything it thinks I've already read to the bottom of the queue.
Bluebottle Posted May 29, 2019
PH: Official Announcements that try to sound like things are being improved when it is obvious they're not. We've had a notification of the next restructure (our fifth in four years):
'OVERVIEW OF DEVELOPMENTS 2019: To improve and enhance the staff experience we are working towards denser occupation of offices…'
And you know, everyone at work is always saying how disappointed they are with the staff experience, especially how somehow we're not treated enough like caged battery hens as it is and need to be squashed even more. Especially with those desks that prevent you from sitting with your legs out because to do so means your legs collide with the legs of the person at the desk opposite yours, so everyone ends up squashed with their knees knocking and legs splayed at uncomfortably odd angles.
Caiman raptor elk - Yes, but what if the box is REALLY big? Posted May 29, 2019
They probably mean that you will experience the presence of the other staff even more than you do now. Next year they will start stacking desks for even bigger improvement.
Either that or they will plant a rainforest in the office to increase density.
Key: Complain about this post
- 17541: Cheerful Dragon (Mar 13, 2019)
- 17542: Baron Grim (Mar 13, 2019)
- 17543: Cheerful Dragon (Mar 13, 2019)
- 17544: Bluebottle (Mar 13, 2019)
- 17545: SashaQ - happysad and 'slightly mad' (Mar 13, 2019)
- 17546: Sho - gainfully employed again (Mar 14, 2019)
- 17547: You can call me TC (Mar 14, 2019)
- 17548: Bluebottle (Mar 14, 2019)
- 17549: Baron Grim (Mar 14, 2019)
- 17550: Rosa Baggins, (see LOTR appendix Hobbits Family trees for more information) (Mar 14, 2019)
- 17551: Baron Grim (Mar 14, 2019)
- 17552: Teasswill (May 15, 2019)
- 17553: Cheerful Dragon (May 16, 2019)
- 17554: Cheerful Dragon (May 16, 2019)
- 17555: Cheerful Dragon (May 16, 2019)
- 17556: Caiman raptor elk - Yes, but what if the box is REALLY big? (May 16, 2019)
- 17557: You can call me TC (May 16, 2019)
- 17558: Baron Grim (May 16, 2019)
- 17559: Bluebottle (May 29, 2019)
- 17560: Caiman raptor elk - Yes, but what if the box is REALLY big? (May 29, 2019)