A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 17101

hammondorgan

Bumptious stewards at non-league soccer clubs. I went to watch my home town club Gateshead playing at Eastleigh in Hampshire at the weekend. I now live near Oxford so it's still quite a trek to get there involving bus trips either end, and a change of trains at Basingstoke which is another subject of not so petty annoyance, but never mind. When I eventually got to Eastleigh the main turnstiles are signed 'Home Fans Only' very clearly. So I dutifully trek off to the Away Supporters turnstile, where I discovered there wasn't any. I speak to Mr Jobsworth who says go back to the main entrance. I explain that there's a sign up sending me this way, and he says oh just ignore it! OK I'm a grumpy old so and so and I suggested that the signs be reorganised, but not so politely. He says well if you want to coome on you'll have to or don't bother! Fortunately there was a high fence between me and him! Anyways, I get back to the turnstile, and my gout was starting to play up, and the man on the turnstile says you can't come in here! I should explain I had my Gateshead, (the Heed) scarf and pom pom hat on, still crazy after all these years! Anyway I start berating the bloke on the turnstile, I should add I'm seventy and have never been much of a bovver boy, anyway he says look here's s free ticket that hasn't been collected, so bless him he gives me a ticket for the Eastleigh Home stand, best seats in the ground! I've felt guilty ever since because of my curmudgeonliness! If that's spelt right it's a miracle, anyways no doubt no one with any interest whatever will read this but it's a relief to get it off my chest!

Petty Hates

Post 17102

ITIWBS

smiley - dog Despite some awrful moments at least it ended well. smiley - smiley

Reminds me of time at a major airport with miles of territory between terminals, carrying full 'battle rattle', my flight was chamged six times in rapid succession and I had to carry all that gear over the entire course.

Eventually, apparently, whomever was torturing me ran out of flights to divert to and I was allowed to ship my baggage and board the plane.

Whomever was dispatching should have been sacked for incompetance.

Petty Hates

Post 17103

Teasswill

I've had similar issues with train platform changes. All the waiting crowd has to go down a staircase, along the corridor & up a staircase - often with other people trying to go in the opposite direction. Sometimes we've then had to go back where we started from,,,

What really gets me is having to change platforms like that when there's a platform both sides of the train, but they'll only let us in/out the far side. I've missed a connection because of that before now.

Petty Hates

Post 17104

Cheerful Dragon

I'm not sure I could cope with being messed about like that. I have mobility problems, so moving from one place to another takes time and can be painful. I have MS, so I don't cope well with stressful situations. A while ago I wanted to buy something from my local Tesco's electrical department. I was told that the item was kept downstairs, so off I went. When I got there I was told that it was kept upstairs. Back I went, only to be told to go downstairs, which I did. When told that I had to go back upstairs, I had a minor breakdown. Hubby explained quite calmly about my health issues, and that going to and fro wasn't doing me any good, and would somebody please get their act together and find the item I wanted to buy. It turned out that the store was in the process of moving the electrical department downstairs, but not everything had been moved yet. The people upstairs were right in that the item I wanted would have been downstairs eventually, it just wasn't at that time.smiley - rolleyes

Petty Hates

Post 17105

Bluebottle

I've been to Silverlake Stadium in Eastleigh – I took the kids there for an open day once, and we got a free Eastleigh football shirt for my son and they asked if he'd like to be a mascot for them one day (my daughter was too young at the time, truth be told my son was too, so we declined). It wasn't a match day, though, and I can't remember what their entrance was like. All I know is it's a short walk to Eastleigh Lakeside Country Park where they have a miniature railway running every weekend throughout the year.

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 17106

Pink Paisley

Our (AFC Wimbledon) striker Jack Midson went to Eastleigh when he left us. And so did goalkeeper Ryan Clarke. And Harry Pell.

And so did a former premiership footballer but I can't remember who at the moment.

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 17107

hammondorgan

Bluebottle, maybe they should build a miniature railway around the stadium to get bad-tempered Geordies to the appropriate gate.

Petty Hates

Post 17108

Baron Grim

Our ball park has a train.

http://youtu.be/YLjViLZxNAI

Petty Hates

Post 17109

Teasswill

Today's PH: blocked ears.

Went to GP last week as my tinnitus has got worse, hoping for referral to get my ears properly cleaned out at hosp. No, they insist you have to try ear drops & syringing first. Had that done some 15 years ago for just one ear & it was useless, just blocked my ear up so I got a referral.
Going OK with different ear drops, wax starting to come out well, but now it's blocking my ears even worse. Yesterday both ears muffled, today one better but the other almost completely deaf. Really hard coping at work. Not looking forward to syringing on Monday...

Petty Hates

Post 17110

Baron Grim

It took me a long time to take the obvious advice regarding my ears and to stop using swabs to clean them. I always thought I was being careful, that my "expert" technique avoided stuffing wax up my ear canal. But then I learned after half a century of living in this skin, how ear wax is supposed to work. It should slowly ooze out of the canal, dry and flake away, taking dirt and debris away with it. That said, some people have wetter or dryer wax that doesn't flow or flake away as it should, and the climate you live in can effect it. But I seem to be doing well by just wiping away the wax just outside the ear canal every few days for tidiness and just occasionally using a swab at the edge of the canal if it seems a bit stickier than I like.

Petty Hates

Post 17111

Teasswill

I stand guilty & admit I have used cotton buds in the past. I think I have dry wax (another joy of ageing) and narrow ear canals.

Petty Hates

Post 17112

Baron Grim

It feels so good, though....

Petty Hates

Post 17113

Teasswill

Both ears really blocked today smiley - wah
If it's no better tomorrow I won't be able to go to work - and there's lots I need my ears for over the next few days. Oh how I wish I'd only done one ear at a time, but the drops seemed so good at first... smiley - grr

Petty Hates

Post 17114

You can call me TC

Petty hate - I'd love to change the subject but can't think of anything at the moment!

Petty Hates

Post 17115

Icy North

Petty hate - people who complain because the china mug I drink my tea from has brown tea stains on the inside.

I explain to them that the glaze has worn away over the years and so the tannin stains adhere to it. If their mug doen't stain, then this brown gunk must be staining their insides instead, and that tannin is used to stain leather and ink.

Petty Hates

Post 17116

Teasswill

Now that reminds me - people who drink tea, especially black tea using 'my' coffee mug. Also people who don't rinse out their mug after drinking black tea.

Petty Hates

Post 17117

ITIWBS

Yeetch!

I know what you mean, Teasswill.

Incredible what a sterioisomeric reversal of a molecule otherwise structurally identical as with caffeine http://jennarocca.com/chemical-equation-for-caffeine/ from coffee and theine http://dansmatasse.com/en/2016/02/theine-or-caffeine-in-tea-angel-or-demon/ from tea can do.

Petty Hates

Post 17118

ITIWBS

smiley - evilgrin ...that and the doggie germs...

Petty Hates

Post 17119

Icy North

PH: very long PIN numbers

I regularly book teleconference calls using a well-known service and send the dial-in details to my clients. They now have 10-digit piin numbers to type to access the call. This is in addition to the 14-digit international telephone number.

So people have to dial 24 numbers!

That's 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 combinations. That's a septillion. It's huge. It's way more than the number of grains of sand on all the world's beaches. It's approximately the number of stars in the entire universe.

Petty Hates

Post 17120

ITIWBS

PH: Free range chickens raiding the garden.

Key: Complain about this post