A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 16821

Bluebottle

I'm lucky in that I'm in an office of 3 people and in the fridge at the moment we have three pints of milk and my salad cream. But there is a main fridge in the kitchen which smells.

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 16822

Malabarista - now with added pony

Everything in our fridge is thrown away on the last Friday of the month by the cleaning ladies. Seems like a reasonable solution.

Petty Hates

Post 16823

Bluebottle

I remember when we had cleaning ladies...

PH: The fact that the VC's office gets cleaned daily, the new building gets cleaned weekly and our building gets cleaned every few months if we're lucky...

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 16824

hammondorgan

This is outside the remit of this thread, nevertheless, gout I hate gout and there's nothing petty about it. Everybody thinks it's hilarious I've been in torment for a week now, if I had a shotgun I'd blow my big toe off, pills are useless, can't even kick the cat, OK I love cats and wouldn't anyway but you know what I mean.

Petty Hates

Post 16825

Sho - employed again!

I am absolutely ruthless when it comes to the office fridge. Our canteen closed in January so now we have more stuff being put in there (including things that don't need to go in the fridge which drives me batty) and things get shoved to the back and forgotten about etc etc.

I give a warning, usually after lunch, that the next morning Things Will Be Binned. One chap came running in one morning as I was a about to dump a Tupperware (the actual, expensive thing) container with the lid on. He protested that it was his and he was going to eat it. I knew that he had been back a week from a 3 week holiday, and that he'd gone on holiday after a 6 day business trip. And I'd opened it already (which is why I was binning the entire thing)

I really really wish I'd put it back in the fridge and stood over him while he ate the slimey pink/green mouldy thing. Whatever it had been.

We often have nearly closed containers of kimchi in our fridge for days - absolutely everythig tastes of kimchi after that...

I could go on but it will only make me smiley - cross

Petty Hates

Post 16826

Wand'rin star

Dear Hammondorgan, That is not a petty hate. My son Duncan (formerly on here as Spearcarrier and Is mise Duncan, has the same feeling about shotguns. Personally I think that should either of you find a shotgun, you should keep it to finish off those who mock your affliction smiley - starsmiley - star

Petty Hates

Post 16827

ITIWBS

PH: Endless interruptions, whenever one is embarked on any high tempo project or pursuit.

Petty Hates

Post 16828

Baron Grim

I did buy a small box of Arm & Hammer today.

Petty Hates

Post 16829

Teasswill

A PH from during the week. Heavily pregnant ladies wearing skin tight dresses. It's lovely to see big bumps, but I just don't like every contour so obviously displayed.

Petty Hates

Post 16830

Reality Manipulator

My petty hates are waiting over a half hour for my phone call to be answered so I can ask a question regarding registering online for a repeat prescription delivery service to be only told that the information that was sent to me by letter which stated that I have the option to register online is incorrect.

Petty Hates

Post 16831

Baron Grim

Oh dear BoB... my level of hate regarding dealing with mail order pharmacies covered through my insurer is best described as a color that most humans can't detect, it's like infrapurple.

Because of damage to pituitary from sticking my head in a proton beam I have to take supplementary testosterone and trying to place an order for that has been a major ordeal nearly every time I've had to place an order. That's once every three months for over a decade. Every quarter they act like I won't need to take this every day for the rest of my life, like it's a luxury and charge luxury prices for it and seemingly change the prices frequently. Every time I look at their website to see if there's a generic alternative I find there is, but either the price isn't discounted or they insist the physician won't allow a generic when I know he will or just cancel my Rx for no apparent reason whatsoever, or find some novel way of making it take nearly a full month for me to order my prescription.

Oh, and now I'm thoroughly convinced that Trump and the republican legislature will give the insurance companies free reign to drop coverage of expensive drugs like this.

Petty Hates

Post 16832

ITIWBS

PH: people in politics and government with whom, having a de facto power of life and death over the larger populace, don't feel they've an obligation to exercise that in the interest of the public at large and those persons comprising it.

Such people should not be tolerated in positions of power or advantage on account of their contempt for the rights of the public at large and their contempt of the rights of individuals.

Petty Hates

Post 16833

Pink Paisley

The smell of unsalted butter.

Salted butter smells ok. How is it that salt, which so far as I can tell, has no smell of it's own, has an effect on this?

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 16834

ITIWBS

Salt suppresses the kinds of bacteria that produce, among other things, cheeses and yoghurt, which can give the butter a faint sour milk aroma.

Mind you, I often use unfermented, unsalted, whole sweet cream instead of butter for things like pancakes or pastry.

Definitely works better than plain butter for a hot Danish roll for example, since the solids of whole cream retain their form when heated.

Petty Hates

Post 16835

Pink Paisley

Oi!

This thread isn't meant to be educational is it? smiley - laugh

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 16836

ITIWBS

smiley - erm wotever workssmiley - winkeye

Petty Hates

Post 16837

hammondorgan

Biggest culprit in causing stroke and heart disease is salt apparently, well they had this bloke on Radio 4 this morning who actually sounded like he knew what he was talking about, he was saying that he'd delivered this really scary report to the government on the relationship between salt and stroke, it was bitterly critical of processed food producers, many of whom apparently contribute very nicely to Tory party coffers. It was reduced from 30 odd pages to 10 at the insistence of Theresa May, and brought out without any publicity whatever, I'm just reporting, check it out, his name is Prof Graham Macgregor, In Their Element was the programme. Just think before casting votes in a few weeks, the Tory's would have us putting asbestos on our cornflakes if it suited them.

Petty Hates

Post 16838

ITIWBS

Not to be neglected in medical hazards of sodium, sodium bicarbonate, on of of the great cardiac killers of the 20th century, still frequently used in baking powder (I use a sodium free Rumfoord's baking piwder preparation myself.

If I want salt, I usually use a sea salt or powdered kelp preparation as more traditional and healthier for dietary salt.

The British Isles produced powdered bladderwrack is an excellent powdered kelp for seasoning soups and salads.

Petty Hates

Post 16839

ITIWBS

Ooops! smiley - biro

Not to be neglected in medical hazards of sodium, sodium bicarbonate, one of the great cardiac killers of the 20th century, is still frequently used in baking powder.

(I use a sodium free Rumfoord's baking powder preparation myself.)

If I want salt, I usually use a sea salt or powdered kelp preparation as more traditional and healthier for dietary salt.

The British Isles produced powdered bladderwrack is an excellent powdered kelp for seasoning soups and salads.

Petty Hates

Post 16840

Cheerful Dragon

Today's Petty Hate: people who sell items online but don't specify actual sizes. Hubby has got us into steampunk, so I decided to treat myself to a few items for my summer outfit. I wanted a leather bag that I can hang from a belt, and a wrist bracer. The site I eventually bought my bag from has some lovely items, but some don't say how big they are. The bag I bought was described as 'big enough for an A5 paperback or two cans of beer'. Well, the bag is big enough for my purposes, but it will only take a thin A5 paperback and two cans of beer would stretch it out of shape. The size of the wrist bracer wasn't specified at all, but the description said it was adjustable with a velcro fastening, so I took a chance. It arrived today. Yes, it's adjustable with a velcro fastening, but even at its smallest it fits round my elbow.smiley - yikes It must be designed for somebody obese because I don't know any normal people with wrists this big! I'm pretty sure its too big for hubby, so it will have to be returned for a refund.smiley - sadface

I'm going to leave feedback on the site I got my bag from, saying I'm pleased with my bag and suggesting they put actual dimensions with more of the descriptions. I'll also suggest the same when I return my wrist bracer to the company I bought it from. The picture and description give no idea how big it is.

Key: Complain about this post