A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 15821

Teasswill

If they ride up, they're too tight. PH could be lack of suitably sized headwear….
I wear a headwarmer - one of those fleece bands, which keeps brow & ears warm at least. I hate 'hat hair' - the way my hair goes all flat & full of static when I wear a hood or hat.
I'm experimenting with a sort of snood - wrapping a wide scarf loosely round twice head & neck.

Petty Hates

Post 15822

Icy North

One-size beanies is a pet hate of mine, too. Having a brain the size of a planet, I end up ripping the thing when I pull it down over my ears.

Petty Hates

Post 15823

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Try one of these:

http://www.mountaingoth.com/collections/300386-long-stocking-caps

http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/product_view/mountaingoth/9546889/goth_black_stocking_cap_long_pointed_beanie_winter_hat_mens_womens_dark_elf_hat/handmade/accessories/hats/beanies

http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/product_view/mountaingoth/9546895/camouflage_stocking_cap_elf_hat_warm_fleece_camo_mens_hat_pointed_cap/handmade/accessories/hats/beanies

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 15824

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

You might want to try a navy watch cap;

http://www.rothco.com/product-details/genuine-gi-wool-watch-cap

There are several sources, I just posted the link so you could see what they look like. I have worn them for many years.

F smiley - dolphin S

Petty Hates

Post 15825

hammondorgan

Very smart Florida, I'll have a look in the Army Surplus next time I'm in Oxford, hopefully the weather will have warmed up a bit by then!

Petty Hates

Post 15826

You can call me TC

You could just sew elastic on it which goes under your chin to keep it in position(like we used to do with our school hats) smiley - tongueincheek

Petty Hates

Post 15827

Teasswill

PH trying to get clothes to fit both waist and hips. I seem to be very unusual in having a small waist for the size of my hips. Or clothes are multi size: 10-12, 14-16. I'm more of a size 13...

Petty Hates

Post 15828

Pastey

You mean your clothes aren't all bespoke tailored? smiley - winkeye

I have to agree with the PH though. I'm rather lanky, and even the long legged trousers look short on me. One of the reasons I usually wear boots, so the public don't have my ankles inflected upon them.

Petty Hates

Post 15829

quotes

PH: "One size fits all" hats.

Petty Hates

Post 15830

hammondorgan

You know the term 'Brexit'? I really think it's horrible and a trivialization of a very serious issue that we all need to think about as adults, and stupid headline grabbing neologisms aren't contributing to mature debate one iota.

Petty Hates

Post 15831

Baron Grim

I'm sure many Greeks feel likewise.

Petty Hates

Post 15832

You can call me TC

It does sound rather like a crunchy cereal.

Petty Hates

Post 15833

quotes

You can't deny that the word "Brexit" conveys the concept very succinctly. What other word/s would you use?

Petty Hates

Post 15834

hammondorgan

I would use plain English I suppose, this isn't a succinct issue is it, even our profoundly wise Chancellor is saying that we'd be looking at a 14 year transition if we did decide to come out of Europe. But if people are simple minded enough to be incapable of understanding words of more than two syllables heaven help us. Some people would only be happy if concepts were conveyed in grunts, your average UKIP supporter for example.

Petty Hates

Post 15835

quotes

OK, in plain English, what word/s would you use? I ask because I can't think of anything that conveys the meaning of Brexit without being horribly unwieldy, like "British withdrawal from the European Union."

Petty Hates

Post 15836

hammondorgan

British exit just about covers it, Lol.

Petty Hates

Post 15837

Sho - employed again!

Brexit (as was Grexit before it) a brilliant way of conveying a massive idea in one word.

This is the thing that I always feel is far far superior in the German language. We have to use 97 words, they use 1 (and they do not always have 42 letters)

This usually comes up when I talk to my German friends about football. When a team is winning by more than one goal, and their opponents score to bring that back to a one-goal difference (eg from 2-0 to 2-1) it's called an "anschlusstreffer" that means. A goal that brings a team to within one goal of their opponents score, closing the gap to something much more managable.

What's the English word for that? There is also another of my favourites "Gemuetlichkeit" which means far more than just "being comfortable"

Brexit is only one of these modern English words that is making it much easier to convey ideas. Mansplaining is another smiley - winkeye

Petty Hates

Post 15838

quotes

>>"anschlusstreffer"/What's the English word for that?

Typically commentators say a team is 'back in the game' under those circumstances.

Petty Hates

Post 15839

ITIWBS

German is more agglutinative than English.

Its easier to combine roots to make a new word.

Other ways of saying "anschlusstreffer" in English is 'striking distance' or 'the beginning of the end'.

Petty Hates

Post 15840

Icy North

Yes, it only exists in verb form in English: 'to get one back'. And even that isn't precise.

Key: Complain about this post