A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 13441

Cheerful Dragon

This is a really Petty (and probably pedantic) Hate. I receive the Kindle Daily Deal alert email every day. This tells me I can save money on 'Fiction, Romance and Nonfiction'. When did Romance become a category of its own? If it's neither Fiction nor Nonfiction, what is it?smiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 13442

Pastey

I remember seeing it as a category in my local library as a kid, before they even put a Science Fiction shelve in smiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 13443

Secretly Not Here Any More

"If it's neither Fiction nor Nonfiction, what is it?"

In my house it's probably classed as mythology.

Petty Hates

Post 13444

Pink Paisley

Or 'please, if I have an accident, delete my browser history'.

smiley - tongueincheek

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 13445

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

the sun

not the paper thing that pretends to be news
the celestial body

its too bright and too hot...
i'm Scottish we like clouds and rain.... all this sun stuff is unnatural

Petty Hates

Post 13446

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Try living in a desert.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 13447

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Picnic today in Cardiff. Forecast is for rain.

Petty Hates

Post 13448

Cheerful Dragon

"Try living in a desert."

I recommend the Dry Valley in Antarctica. It's the dryest place on Earth but it doesn't have the disadvantage of excessive heat.

Petty Hates

Post 13449

Rod

Heh Heh!

I wonder how many of us looked up 'Dry Valley in Antarctica', thought about a post re lakes (persistent over millennia?) then read a bit more & decided to keep mouth closed ...?

Petty Hates

Post 13450

Cheerful Dragon

PHoD: bra sizes. I know my bra size and bought myself some new bras yesterday. It was nearly closing time, so I didn't bother to try them on. I tried them on today. Most of them are OK, but one seems to be a cup size too small. If they were different brands I could understand it, but they are all M&S own brand and should be the same fit.smiley - cross

Petty Hates

Post 13451

quotes

PH So-called contemporary garden design, which is now so often just another convention being followed.

Petty Hates

Post 13452

Sho - employed again!

the modern trend of trying to get people to celebrate things like Mothers' and Fathers' days quietly so as not to offend those who couldn't be mothers, or don't have a father or who had a rubbish father.

I totally get that it's sucky, but as far as I know people don't go round on Fathers' day going "yeah, I rock because I'm a dad - suck on that!" or similar. And trying to guilt trip into feeling bad about something that's nice in their life.

Had a rather unedifying convo today elsewhere which ended in children being referred to as something quite nasty - even after I'd said that I'm sympathetic and how much it must suck.

Petty Hates

Post 13453

KB

The thing I don't like about it is just that it's another bunch of marketing being thrown at me. But I don't think it's ever directed against me as a non-parent, no. smiley - weird

Petty Hates

Post 13454

I personally dislike the concept altogether.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 13455

Sho - employed again!

well I know Hallmark and so on but I'd also say, as a good feminist, that if Mothers can have a day, Fathers can have one too.

As Barry Norman would say: and why not?

PH today: idiots on trains who are going on holiday to Majorca who find it necessary to be drunk already on the 6:45 and swigging cheap plonk from bottles and putting their feet on seats and playing godawful "music" on commuter trains (until smiley - senior-ladies [not me this time] tell them to behave - and being good Germans they did, to be fair)

But then staggering all over the escalator and not standing on the right leaving those of us running for the bus to be stuck behind them and thus having to wait for the next one smiley - seniorsmiley - cross

Petty Hates

Post 13456

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

"the modern trend of trying to get people to celebrate things like Mothers' and Fathers' days quietly so as not to offend those who couldn't be mothers, or don't have a father or who had a rubbish father."

"well I know Hallmark and so on but I'd also say, as a good feminist, that if Mothers can have a day, Fathers can have one too."

Very much these things!

Petty Hates

Post 13457

So how come kids don't get a Children's Day? What, every day is Children's Day? They totally aren't.

I say we just get rid of both of them.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 13458

quotes

Re: Fathers Day. As a father, what would make me happiest would be if my kids would mark this day by *not* buying into the whole commercial thing;and while hand-made cards are fine, it should be noticed that quite a few men(who here is amongst them?) don't have any interest in receiving cards on such occasions, regardless of how cute they might be.

Petty Hates

Post 13459

Sho - employed again!

I think the problem is people conflating Fathers' day with the necessity of actually buying stuff smiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 13460

Pink Paisley

Stupid and ill thought through answer phone messages.

I have just called a mental health team in London.

'We are busy right now. Please call us back later.' There is no option to leave a message.

So I'll call you back later when you might still be too busy to answer the phone then? THEY know when they aren't busy. Let people leave a message and call them back when you aren't to busy.

This really doesn't encourage people to engage with a service.

I have spoken to one of the workers there and get the distinct impression that they have absolutely no grasp of what I am saying to them about their message.

PP.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more