A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 11961

Rod

Reversing out of a parking slot and someone whizzes past behind you, way too close, when you're looking the other way.

Petty Hates

Post 11962

Sho - gainfully employed again

re the Eggheads

I quite like the programme but their smugness (in particular Daphne and Barry and CJ's mugging to camera when others get the question wrong) gets on my nerves.

And they learn stuff, and mug up on stuff. Judith mentions that quite often.

Petty Hates

Post 11963

Beatrice

The way sales people will say anything ( or as I like to call it, "lie") to get a sale:

Example 1: We are buying new stair carpet. Sales person "Oh the fitters will do everything for you, lift the old one, take it away, you don't need to do anything!"

Carpet fitters, on arrival " You mean you haven't lifted the old carpet? We don't do that. And no, we don't take away the grotty old carpet neither, you have to cart that to teh dump yourselves." (and this is particualrly annoying as I had asked that specific question <grrr&gtsmiley - winkeye

Eaxample 2: My mother is upgrading to broadband. She has a pretty old computer, and rang BT to get their "ordinairy" broadband.

Sales person "Oh, you really would be better with BT Infinity!"
My mother "But this is an ancinet machine, and I don't do much on it"
Sales person "BT Infinity is the job for you!"

We tested her download speed at the weekend, and it is woeful. At least she was able to go back to BT and get them to cahnge her to teh service she'd originally requested in teh first place, and which is much more appropriate.

Petty Hates

Post 11964

KB

One that is niggling me today is being the person who has to make the apologies for someone else's cock-ups.

Petty Hates

Post 11965

Beatrice

Can I apologise for the surfeit of typos in that last post, I was on teh phone at the time.

Petty Hates

Post 11966

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

I can't tell whether that post is a joke or not smiley - biggrin

Petty Hates

Post 11967

You can call me TC

Sho - it's when things like that happen that you wish you'd got all those promises in writing (disposing of the old carpet etc). Although I did have in writing that when our garden furniture was delivered, the price including putting it up. When they delivered it I wasn't home and my husband couldn't find the order confirmation. So we rang the store and said could they come back and do it. We're still waiting. In the meantime we've put a patio in to stand the table and chairs on and have put it up ourselves.

Petty Hates

Post 11968

Anna Siren- the heathen of the deep, according to iTunes...

:Ace, I'm just going to pay the damn rent. These guys are a bunch of twits sometimes.

PH: I've fallen in front of lecturers. Twice. I like to think my pride's hurt more because then the physical pain doesn't exist for a bit.

PH 2: having a crappy body. Urgh.

Petty Hates

Post 11969

haha - I suspect that some peoples' PH is the fact that both Bea and I have "Mrs G" in our tag...

the carpet thing was Bea's - but what I was going to write, and forgot is: sales people lie for a living (I know... I was that sales person, but I'm now a beancounter)

get everything in writing, and if you can get the name spelled clearly...

Petty Hates

Post 11970

You can call me TC

Whoops, sorry. I got so carried away with reading the post, I forgot to check again whose it was. smiley - cheers to all the Mrs G's of the world - including Sho's mum.

Petty Hates

Post 11971

are you're cute, TC - my mum is MrsR
but she'll appreciate the smiley - cheers

Petty Hates

Post 11972

You can call me TC

Oh help - where can I start digging a hole to buy my embarrassedness in smiley - blush

PH - Even though I'm at home all day, there still aren't enough hours to get everything done. I console myself by telling myself I'm off work ill this week and should really be taking it easy.

Petty Hates

Post 11973

PH: I know I should be organised, but I am not. The point is? Apathy.

Petty Hates

Post 11974

no need to be embarassed - I don't think we've ever had the "did you change your name" conversation and even if we had, it may have been the same lettter smiley - hugsmiley - kisssmiley - tea

Petty Hates

Post 11975

Analogue is gone. I can't get digital up here.

Petty Hates

Post 11976

KB

Hang in there, Anna.

Petty Hates

Post 11977

Pink Paisley

Bad shop planning.

I have just come home from my local building store. I had 2 bags of ballast, 1 of sand, 1 of cement, 6 paving slabs and 20 bricks. Ok, I had the use of a trolley.

The car park was uphill from the shop.

Now I am having some planning / thinking time. This involves a cup of tea but not standing looking at the place where my shed is going. Last time I stood looking it cost me a trip to Wickes and £60.

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 11978

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

People not keeping to the left on the stairs in train stations.

It's one of the basic bits of train station etiquette, and some stations (Bristol Temple Meads, for example) even have markings on the stairs indicating that one should keep left.

And do people do it? No. They just go up and down any old how (often with masses of luggage WHICH IS WHAT THE LIFTS ARE FOR). And *I* get treated like *I'm* the awkward one just because I'm doing it properly. smiley - steam

Petty Hates

Post 11979

I will, KB. Lack of digital signal isn't even a bother at the moment, it's a ffew other things.

PH: sticky keyboards oh god what's ON this? *shudders*

Petty Hates

Post 11980

Malabarista - now with added pony

The civil service HR people, who offered me a job two months ago and still haven't let me actually start it smiley - cross

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more